•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

List of DSLRs and Mirrorless Cameras Pros and Cons

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 February 2024 - 12:23 PM

I wish we would have some sort of a list of pros/cons with DSLRs and mirrorless cameras available. 

I mean, this is like the premiere astrophotography forum and newbies come and post "whats the best" and 10 people will recommend 20 different cameras. 

Imagine a stickied thread that includes cameras that are on the market and lists what's' good what's not good about them. 

Newbies going by just what is more expensive is not a good measure, since the camera maybe only expensive because it has features that never be used doing astrophotography. 

Things like :  number of focal points, speed of autofocus etc are irrelevant and not gonna be used. 

Stuff like: low light capability, pixel pitch size, ISO steps, sensor size, battery longevity, weather sealed or not, USB connection, software compatibility - are far more important. 

For example.  Canon T5i vs Canon T6i vs Canon T7i vs Canon T8i.  I have to google search around, but in order to know whether it's worth to buy the T8i over the T6i is another question. Surely 99.999% of the websites will say that the T8i is better, but if you look at the list of why it might be better, it's all related to daytime- terrestrial photography. 

My Pentax K70 for example could have sensor shift tech and all sorts of extras, but there is no tethering option unless you use Kstars. (still buggy and limited functionality) 

The Nikon D5XXX series may may not have a color ring problem with deep sky photos

Many Sony cameras eat stars, mistaken for noise

Olympus cameras - I have no idea if there are issues or not

Canons have horizontal lines- depending which model

Just an idea. 

Edited by unimatrix0, 27 February 2024 - 02:00 PM.

#2 jimr2

jimr2

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sparks, NV

Posted 27 February 2024 - 12:38 PM

Yes, would definitely welcome something like this....

• unimatrix0 likes this

#3 Catchlight

Catchlight

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 February 2024 - 03:02 PM

Good Idea! One camera per thread would be best but until then here comes my list.

Sony A7RIII
Pros:
This my favorite camera for astro, it has an outstanding full-frame iso-invariant sensor, wide dynamic range, low noise.

Built in intervalometer that can be stopped and restarted by depressing the shutter button. This maintains focus, and allows for reviewing images during a session, correcting focus if needed and/or resuming the session.

Silent(electronic) shutter works on 30 second exposures while still creating 14bit raw files and avoids wear on the mechanical shutter

The battery will easily last for 1000 images (without image review)
The A7RIII can be powered by almost any external USB powerbank.

The A7RIII (all Sony E-bodies) can be used with Canon, Nikon, Olympus, and Minolta lenses (with full functionality) using a Metabones adaptor . I use mine with my Canon 600/4L 

I have never noticed any star-eater effect.

Cons:

The LCD screen can only be tilted max 110 degrees for viewing from above, but not articulated.
Modding the sensor results in internal IR led leaking IR-light onto the sensor.

Canon R5

Pros

Very good low noise, full frame sensor with high dynamic range,

The R5 does have a fully articulating screen.

Excellent on-screen manual focus assistance.

it is very good for flying birds.

Cons

Must be powered-off to stop the built-in intervalometer, and this then makes the camera lose focus since even the manual focus is electronically controlled, so after restarting the camera you also have to check the focus. So to make life simple you need an external intervalometer, which becomes an additional point of failure.

The R5 electronic shutter is limited to .5 seconds and limited to 12 bits so not usable for astro, so timelapse and long astro sessions will wear on the mechanical shutter. 
For external power the R5 requires a PD power supply with very specific minimum power requirements.

Canon 6D
Pros
Relatively good low noise full frame sensor
20megapixel sensor, mean relatively small file sizes.
Cheap (used)
Well built, mechanical shutter rated at 150,000 exposures, I have probably shot 300,000 with no problems.
Can be modded

Cons
Not mirrorless; more difficult to focus manually
Mechanical shutter only
No built in intervalometer
Fixed LCD screen
Sensor is not ISO invariant, correct exposure is vital, to avoid excessive noise

Edited by Catchlight, 28 February 2024 - 01:06 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics