•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What's up with so many Orion SSAG cameras for sale?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 firemachine69

firemachine69

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 February 2024 - 12:57 PM

Seriously, I'm seeing so many of these Orion 50mm guide scopes and camera packages come up for sale (or just the guide camera), what's going on? From my basic sleuthing, these didn't seem like they were ever a really good deal, they were just conveniently packaged together. Is the camera not compatible with PHD or NINA anymore, or is it something else I'm missing (Win 10 or 11 incompatible?) Especially from up here in Canada, I'm frequently finding the 50mm/SSAG packages for about the same price as basic ZWO guide cameras. It's like everyone is just "dumping" them all of a sudden.

Edited by firemachine69, 27 February 2024 - 12:58 PM.

#2 jml79

jml79

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belleville, Ont, Canada

Posted 27 February 2024 - 01:17 PM

The camera is fine but not nearly as sensative as a more recent one. I use one on my OAG that I bought for cheap and it works fine with PHD2. If I could buy another for less than $50, I would likely consider it. I have a hard time buying a $300-$400 (cdn) or more guiding setup because my $115 (cdn) SVBony budget special (SV165+SV105) has worked fantastic for me for more than a year now. The SSAG has a few benefits but not many. Mainly it won't cause the mount to wander off when clouds come over and has reduced USB traffic because it can actually take a 2 or 3 second exposure. That does make it worth it for unattended imaging over my super budget glorified web cam.

Both the SSAG and my SV105 will guide my mount down to 0.4-0.5 arc seconds under a B5 sky and a full moon. My seeing is rarely that good and I normally only need 0.6-0.7 arc seconds of guiding so I haven't felt the need to put much more money into guiding.

• firemachine69 likes this

#3 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Voyager 1

• Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 27 February 2024 - 09:44 PM

Because it's ancient technology, couldn't compete with the existing technology at the time, even when it was new and certainly can't compete with today's tech. And you're right...at the time, it was very overpriced.
  • firemachine69 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics