•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Platesolving with ZWO ASI224MC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 valiant491

valiant491

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Istanbul, Turkey

Posted 28 February 2024 - 12:52 PM

So I recently got a ZWO ASI224MC and have learned that it is also decent for some smaller DSOs. The issue is that the FOV is very small. To put it into better perspective, I am using a 6 inch newtonian at 750mm focal length. Given the small FOV, I want to be able to platesolve with the camera in question so that I can actually find targets. I have tried it in NINA using ASTAP and platesolving did not work. How can I make platesolving work with this camera? Could I use Sharpcap instead?

#2 Andros246

Andros246

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 February 2024 - 01:00 PM

So I recently got a ZWO ASI224MC and have learned that it is also decent for some smaller DSOs. The issue is that the FOV is very small. To put it into better perspective, I am using a 6 inch newtonian at 750mm focal length. Given the small FOV, I want to be able to platesolve with the camera in question so that I can actually find targets. I have tried it in NINA using ASTAP and platesolving did not work. How can I make platesolving work with this camera? Could I use Sharpcap instead?

You will need to increase the plate solve exposure time to pick up some feinter stars

also make sure you have all the astap plate solver databases d80, d50, d20

Edited by Andros246, 28 February 2024 - 01:01 PM.

• aneeg and valiant491 like this

#3 barbarosa

barbarosa

Skylab

• Loc: Near San Francisco Bay

Posted 28 February 2024 - 02:03 PM

AFAIK there is not general case for downloading multiple ASTAP databases. Above the website's database listing there is this note-

"2023.03.07,  New star databases D80, D50, D20, D05. The star databases H18, H17, V17  will be phased out. Download and install the D50 database or if you want to save disk space the D20 or D05 depending on your setup field-of-view. You will need only one database. Alternatively you can continue using the older H18 or H17 database."

SharpCap's new plate solving tool works very well. Most of the people I know who use SharpCap have switched from ASTAP (the previous favorite) to the new SC tool. My impression is that the new tool is a bit faster and less likely to fail than ASTAP, but it might be some form of the Hawthorn effect, or I waxed the car, and it is faster effect (technically possible but not likely to be perceptible).

• valiant491 likes this

#4 Andros246

Andros246

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 February 2024 - 02:17 PM

AFAIK there is not general case for downloading multiple ASTAP databases. Above the website's database listing there is this note-

"2023.03.07,  New star databases D80, D50, D20, D05. The star databases H18, H17, V17  will be phased out. Download and install the D50 database or if you want to save disk space the D20 or D05 depending on your setup field-of-view. You will need only one database. Alternatively you can continue using the older H18 or H17 database."

SharpCap's new plate solving tool works very well. Most of the people I know who use SharpCap have switched from ASTAP (the previous favorite) to the new SC tool. My impression is that the new tool is a bit faster and less likely to fail than ASTAP, but it might be some form of the Hawthorn effect, or I waxed the car, and it is faster effect (technically possible but not likely to be perceptible).

Yeah i forgot thats true only need one i'd grab the D80

• valiant491 likes this

#5 valiant491

valiant491

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Istanbul, Turkey

Posted 29 February 2024 - 02:55 AM

Thanks will give it a try when the clouds decide when I can...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics