•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sharpstar 150HNT - removing correcting lens to collimate?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cinnamon

Cinnamon

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SW Ontario Canada

Posted 28 February 2024 - 12:54 PM

Hello,

I own the 150HNT, and the collimation instructions recommend removing the corrective lens in the focus tube to collimate the scope. It screws into a tube that goes onto the focuser, so you need to unscrew the lens from inside that tube(reassemble and then laser collimate). Mine sits about 6-7 mm below the top of the tube it is recessed into.

Two questions:

1) Is the depth that the corrector screwed into this tube important? If so, I will have to measure it accurately.

2) What is the best way to remove it? I have a spanner wrench, and I have put a decent amount of force on it, any more, and it slips, and I'm terrified of scratching the lens. I gave up trying to remove it and laser-collimate it through the lens, which they don't recommend. 

Any tips on getting that thing out?

Thank you

Scott

#2 dan_h

dan_h

Gemini

Posted 28 February 2024 - 01:26 PM

https://www.bing.com...age&form=rc2idp

#3 Cinnamon

Cinnamon

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SW Ontario Canada

Posted 28 February 2024 - 01:36 PM

Thanks, that's a lot better looking spanner wrench than the one I have.

#4 OregonAstronomer

OregonAstronomer

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Willamette Valley, Oregon High Desert and remotely from New Mexico

Posted 28 February 2024 - 02:23 PM

I have the same scope. When I misplaced the tool that came with it as shown in dan_h's picture, I ordered this one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,265&sr=8-3

neewer.jpg

The position of the corrector lens does matter in order to achieve proper back-focus. If you need to adjust the back-focus by a tiny amount, you can actually do so by screwing the lens in a little farther or backing it out a little.

Arnie

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics