•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NINA - Two separate mounts off same PC

Astrophotography Imaging Software
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 manyworldsastro

manyworldsastro

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Buffalo, NY

Posted 28 February 2024 - 02:28 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has run two totally separate setups (two mounts) using two instances of NINA on the same PC. I have an EQ6 and an AM5 and would like to run them with separate telescopes/cameras/EAFs and guiding them both using PHD2. They wouldn't be imaging the same object necessarily.

I've tried searching this, but it seems that everyone is talking about two scopes on the same mount with synchronized dithering. I wouldn't need to synchronize dithering in this case since it's independent mounts.

If this isn't possible, I could purchase a secondary PC but I'm trying to avoid spending the money if not needed.

#2 cjarvis64

cjarvis64

Mariner 2

• Loc: Western Kentucky

Posted 28 February 2024 - 02:47 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has run two totally separate setups (two mounts) using two instances of NINA on the same PC. I have an EQ6 and an AM5 and would like to run them with separate telescopes/cameras/EAFs and guiding them both using PHD2. They wouldn't be imaging the same object necessarily.

I've tried searching this, but it seems that everyone is talking about two scopes on the same mount with synchronized dithering. I wouldn't need to synchronize dithering in this case since it's independent mounts.

If this isn't possible, I could purchase a secondary PC but I'm trying to avoid spending the money if not needed.

Not sure if this is possible, but an interesting experiment would be to run one instance of NINA on your native OS, and then run a second instance of NINA on a virtual machine.

• Jim Waters likes this

#3 drake

drake

Messenger

• Loc: USA/ITALY

Posted 28 February 2024 - 02:57 PM

With Nina, let's wait if there is someone expert,

I use Voyager Starkeeper, it has a big potentiality, it is not free, you need the licenses that let you build variuis needs, you can check it at https://software.starkeeper.it/

here a picturs of two scopes at the same time on the same mount, with the plugin "Array" you can use two mounts

Attached Thumbnails

• Voyager.jpg

Edited by drake, 28 February 2024 - 03:03 PM.

#4 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Cosmos

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 28 February 2024 - 03:39 PM

With NINA you can do two scopes.  I don't think you can do two mounts.

#5 PIEJr

PIEJr

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Los Angeles County, Southern California

Posted 28 February 2024 - 10:10 PM

I'm simply not a glutton for that much punishment.

One of everything is plenty, Thank You.

But it would depend on your USB (or mine anyway) being able to let both USB's operate without getting mixed.

Otherwise, USB data collisions might be a problem between the two incidences of the same program using the USB bus.

• cjarvis64 likes this

#6 arbit

arbit

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 February 2024 - 11:42 AM

You can try two instances of NINA, each with a separate profile for the respective mount setup.

One gotcha regarding PHD2. You will need to run a second instance (see manual), and in NINA PHD2 settings, in one profile keep PHD2 instance as 1 with server port 4400 and in the other as 2, with server port 4401. This assumes your PHD2 instance server port is 4400.

Hopefully this will work unless your mount drivers clash. Eg in my case I could run iOptron and ZWO, but not two ZWO.

While possible, it was a little hard to keep track of what is connected to what.

Or you could get a second pc :-)

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

#7 cjarvis64

cjarvis64

Mariner 2

• Loc: Western Kentucky

Posted 01 March 2024 - 09:13 AM

I'm simply not a glutton for that much punishment.

One of everything is plenty, Thank You.

Too right lol.gif

• PIEJr likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Imaging, Software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics