•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Star Adventurer and the SynScan App

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 uspsa4553

uspsa4553

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Central Indiana

Posted 01 March 2024 - 08:11 AM

Hello Everyone,

A newbie to the Forum and to Astrophotography.  Hopefully this is where I should be asking this question - If not I apologize.

I have recently bought a Sky Watcher Star Adventurer GTI mount and intend on using it with the SynScan App until I see if Astro Photography is something that I will continue with.  I have got everything set up and can get the goto feature on in the app to work.  How do I get the tracking to work?  Looking at the help on the app it seems to say (page 14 - Tracking) that once it is pointed at an object that it will begin tracking.  It doesn't seem to want to start.  Or it is possible that I am too impatient and expect movement to begin immediately.  Would someone please help me out with this?  Also in just poking around the app I came across something that I don't know what setting that I should use.  On the screen that has alignment, Star, Deep Sky there is also a Settings.  When I go to the next screen there is an Advanced Icon.  In the Advanced feature there are 2 adjustments - One for Guiding Rate RA/AZ and Guiding Rate Dec/Alt.  Both of these are set at 0.5 Sidereal.  Are these the correct guiding rates?  If not, how do I change them?   I have moved both of them to different positions just to see what happens and they seem to go right back to .5 sidereal when I go out of the screen.  Also, what is sidereal?  Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

As I said above, I am a complete Newb to guiding and don't have any experience with the terminology.  Thanks for the help. 

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Cosmos

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 01 March 2024 - 08:41 AM

You don't see whether the mount is tracking - other than your target should stay stationary.

You can check whether it's tracking in top of app (see image) or Utilities-Tracking. It should be Sidereal. That means the normal pace the sky (and stars) are moving.

Guiding rate is only for autoguiding. If you are not using it you don't have to worry about it.

Attached Thumbnails

• synscan-track.jpg

• Jlex likes this

#3 Jlex

Jlex

Messenger

• Loc: Lexington, Ky

Posted 01 March 2024 - 10:27 AM

Are you using Synscan or Synscan Pro?

Negative on the "once it's pointed at something".  You have to align something and then hit the check mark, that's when tracking starts and as mentioned already, you won't be able to visually notice that the mount is tracking, it's very slow.

You need to tell the App which mount you're using.  Settings/Connection Settings/AZ/EQ Mode Mount.  Tap the Prompt Mode then select "Use EQ" or "Use AZ".  This step doesn't select "guiding rate" and as mentioned above, if you're not guiding, that selection isn't necessary.

On the App's home screen, locate and tap the three >>> (arrows), that's were your tracking options are located.  Sidereal 0.5 is perfect for astrophotography.  

You mention that you're new to "guiding".  Did you mean to say that you're new to "tracking"?  There's a huge difference between the two.

Edited by Jlex, 01 March 2024 - 10:30 AM.

#4 uspsa4553

uspsa4553

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2024 - 10:36 AM

Sorry about that I did not realize there were 2 different apps.  SynScan Pro.

When I connect it shows up as EQ Mount.

Yes I meant tracking.  New Guy Mistake.

Thank to both of you guys for your help.

• Jlex likes this

#5 mdredmond

mdredmond

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: DFW Texas

Posted 01 March 2024 - 10:34 PM

“Also, what is sidereal?”

Sidereal refers to the apparent motion of distant stars caused by the rotation of the earth. They are so far away that they would appear to be motionless in the sky except that the earth is turning and that makes them look like they are moving in a circle in the sky (roughly but not quite exactly around Polaris).

Your tracker (when set to sidereal tracking rate) will make full rotation every 24 hours. Try setting it to that rate (with nothing on it that might hit a tripod leg and walk away for 6 hours. It will have turned 90 degrees.

I’m a noob too but learning quickly, thanks in large part to the folks on this forum.

Edited by mdredmond, 01 March 2024 - 10:35 PM.

#6 vidrazor

vidrazor

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bergen, NJ

Posted 03 March 2024 - 02:16 AM

Yes I meant tracking.  New Guy Mistake.

Another note about sidereal is that you only use it for planetary and deep space object tracking. There are two other tracking speeds, lunar and solar. If you decide to track one of these, you will need to switch out of sidereal and into the proper tracking speed. Don't forget to set back to sidereal once you're done.

Some software will automatically change these tracking rates for you, so you may not need to manually do this, but if you can't properly track the moon or the sun, then it means you will have to manually set those speeds.

#7 uspsa4553

uspsa4553

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2024 - 03:22 AM

Thanks to everyone for the help.  So much to learn.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics