•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Canon 6D OG for Solar Eclipse + Filter + tamron 300mm telephoto?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 markm75c

markm75c

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 March 2024 - 03:50 PM

Over the years i've barely used this DSLR, honestly i need to review all the settings prior regardless, but at my disposal i minimally have an EF? Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3  Di VC PZD

I also have a Canon 50mm f1.8, not useful here, also a 14mm f2.8 i believe as well, also not useful.

I did do some initial digging, seems many end up around 400mm or higher, so it looks like even at 300mm itll be a pretty wide shot.

Any suggestions on shoestring budget modifications to make this better?

IE:  I've heard some use a teleconverter, not sure if i'm even on the right path but maybe something like this?

In conjunction with the 300mm: Sigma 1.4x Teleconverter TC-1401 for Canon $289 (edit: i guess this only interfaces with certain lenses, looked at tamron offerings, mostly used and mostly mixed reviews, i see some cheap zoom lenses at 500mm~ but i think you lose autofocus? for around $100) 

https://www.amazon.c...V8Q901AMWI&th=1

Something like this worth trying even though manual at a low cost $99? https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any tips on settings to use, i guess before and during the totality are different obviously (exposure, maybe iso etc), i've read to take the filter off at totality is that accurate?

I have a standard stationary tripod with a remote shutter attachment, but i could also connect this to the laptop and use backyard eos perhaps (better bet?), or i think there may even be a way to rig an android phone to connect?

This is the filter i have at this point:
67mm SUNDARA by Celestial Optical - ND1000000, 20-Stop Solar Filter for DSLR Cameras - Schott B270 Optical Glass - 16-Layer Nano Coating  https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Side question, but if taking a photo during totality with even a samsung s22, is it necessary to have some kinda filter over it during totality, guessing not? 

Thanks in advance

Edited by markm75c, 01 March 2024 - 04:03 PM.

#2 Frank Otsuka

Frank Otsuka

Explorer 1

Posted 01 March 2024 - 04:07 PM

CloudyNights has a forum

https://www.cloudyni...solar-eclipses/

Might check out 2017 as well as 2024 

Cheers

• steveward53 likes this

#3 michael8554

michael8554

Soyuz

• Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 02 March 2024 - 05:32 AM

You need a Field of View that allows for the much larger diameter of the Corona during Totality.

Without cropping, about 1000mm focal length with a Full Frame camera like the 6D.

If you're prepared to crop, a cheap manual 500mm lens would do.

You don't need Autofocus on the Sun ! 

Set the focus to Infinity and apply some gaffer tape to stop it changing at the wrong moment ! 

You'll waste exposure time unscrewing a screw-on Sun Filter, it might even jam !

Baader Solar Filter material incorporated into a cardboard "lens hood" can be easily whipped off, Baader provide instructions.

You don't need any filter during Totality.

#4 MHamburg

MHamburg

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 02 March 2024 - 12:25 PM

I've used my 6D in 2017 with a rented Canon 400mm and a 2X converter with good results. If you don't want to spend the big bucks check out LensGiant for rentals, Very reasonable and nice people.

Michael

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6412 (2).jpg
  • IMG_6418 (2).jpg

#5 Anhydrite

Anhydrite

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 07 March 2024 - 05:18 PM

You didn't say, but I am assuming you have a Crop Sensor sized DSLR.

I see the title now.  6D is full frame.

I shot the 2017 Eclipse with a 400mm lens on a crop sensor and it was a great size.  Could have been a bit closer, but it still was good.

I tried using some cheap 1.4x teleconverters but found, through testing well before the eclipse that images taken through the teleconverter were not as sharp as those through the lens only.

Basically the cropped image looked identical or better than the teleconverter image.

Of course that was a "non Cannon" teleconverter.

I ended up not using the teleconverter at all so my uncropped images would be sharper.

In almost all cases, a teleconverter will reduce image quality unless it cost a lot of money.

You will definitely want to push up to 600mm.....or consider getting a used 60-70D crop sensor Camera 

Edited by Anhydrite, 07 March 2024 - 05:22 PM.

• markm75c likes this

#6 Alen K

Alen K

Vanguard

Posted 07 March 2024 - 10:07 PM

This may help: http://www.astrosurf...lipse_sheet.pdf

The corona is expected to be significantly larger this year than in 2017. How much larger is the question. But focal lengths that worked great last time might not work as well this time, assuming any interest in capturing as much of the corona as possible. But ofcourse, such a focal length is not ideal for capturing prominences on the limb. Decisions, decisions and not much time now. 

• piaras likes this

#7 markm75c

markm75c

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 March 2024 - 04:16 PM

Can anyone recommend a good tracker that can go on a tripod, but yet not too expensive.  Or maybe i should consider the rental angle, since its likely a one and done.  I have an older sony tripod, not sure if the tripod matters if i add a tracker or not.

IE:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WZFFPN $219 or the $329 pack  (not sure what the major difference is here)

I guess i can just hand center shots as well.  

I was also going to get (backyard eos?) hooked up on the laptop so i can at least remote control things easier.

Edited by markm75c, 23 March 2024 - 06:33 PM.

#8 piaras

piaras

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Niagara Region

Posted 24 March 2024 - 06:35 AM

This may help: http://www.astrosurf...lipse_sheet.pdf

The corona is expected to be significantly larger this year than in 2017. How much larger is the question. But focal lengths that worked great last time might not work as well this time, assuming any interest in capturing as much of the corona as possible. But ofcourse, such a focal length is not ideal for capturing prominences on the limb. Decisions, decisions and not much time now. 

That is an excellent page!

I had decided on using my Orion 80ED with reducer and a Tamron 300mm with my Canon Ra. This page basically confirmed my thoughts.

Pierre

#9 mdredmond

mdredmond

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: DFW Texas

Posted 24 March 2024 - 10:17 AM

Can anyone recommend a good tracker that can go on a tripod, but yet not too expensive.  Or maybe i should consider the rental angle, since its likely a one and done.  I have an older sony tripod, not sure if the tripod matters if i add a tracker or not.

IE:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WZFFPN $219 or the $329 pack  (not sure what the major difference is here)

I guess i can just hand center shots as well.  

I was also going to get (backyard eos?) hooked up on the laptop so i can at least remote control things easier.

The “pro pack” gets you, among other things, an equitorial wedge so you can polar-align the mount.  I think you probably want that.  I’d also pick up a decent ball mount that claims to hold at least twice what your complete camera+lens setup weighs.

#10 markm75c

markm75c

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 March 2024 - 02:10 PM

The “pro pack” gets you, among other things, an equitorial wedge so you can polar-align the mount.  I think you probably want that.  I’d also pick up a decent ball mount that claims to hold at least twice what your complete camera+lens setup weighs.

Can you really polar align on the fly though, travelling to a random location anyway, that has me thinking just shooting manual can work just as well

#11 markm75c

markm75c

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 30 March 2024 - 12:19 PM

Can you really polar align on the fly though, travelling to a random location anyway, that has me thinking just shooting manual can work just as well

i guess the answer is you can using the one Polar Align paid app and just sorta winging it on the fly. (PolarAligner Pro (Astro Tool))

Edited by markm75c, 30 March 2024 - 12:20 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics