•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade's Autostar II Handbox Controller

Equipment Meade SCT
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chrisastro64

chrisastro64

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2024 - 02:02 AM

I'd be grateful if someone on the forum could help me.

I recently experienced problems with my Meade Autostar II handbox controller which I have used since 2007 with my Meade 30 cm ACF. I decided to order another one  but my supplier came back with the disappointing news that Meade has decided to cease production (I'd had the product previously on order for  8 months).

Is there any other product I could order instead? Does anyone have ideas for an alternative solution? A telescope like mine is entirely dependent on the handbox and who would buy a telescope without one if I decided to sell it? There must be Meade users out there in the same situation.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Chris Allen / Sweden

#2 michael8554

michael8554

Soyuz

• Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 02 March 2024 - 04:57 AM

Hi Chris

First off, post Meade queries in the Meade section.

The Autostar II can be completely replaced by the free "ScopeBoss" app for iPhone and iPad.

The mount can then be wirelessly controlled.

You'll need a WiFi RS232 Adapter plugged into one of the RS232 ports on the mount.

Stella or SkyFi or DIY.

There's also an Android app, look in the Meade section.

#3 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 02 March 2024 - 05:57 AM

I'd be grateful if someone on the forum could help me.

I recently experienced problems with my Meade Autostar II handbox controller which I have used since 2007 with my Meade 30 cm ACF. I decided to order another one  but my supplier came back with the disappointing news that Meade has decided to cease production (I'd had the product previously on order for  8 months).

Is there any other product I could order instead? Does anyone have ideas for an alternative solution? A telescope like mine is entirely dependent on the handbox and who would buy a telescope without one if I decided to sell it? There must be Meade users out there in the same situation.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Chris Allen / Sweden

Meade is still using the Autostar II controller.  It can be ordered from Meade directly as a replacement or you can buy one second hand from the classifieds section.   Until you get a replacement you can either directly connect your mount to a computer through the RS232 port on the mount and USB on the computer, or you can use a wireless option of an RS232 to Wifi adapter.  You will then use an app or planetarium program on the computer which emulates the handbox controls if you need them.  Alternately you can use options like the ZWO ASIAIR products (again with a USB-RS232 cord) and actually platesolve and control the telescope in that manner over phone/tablet/PC.  

• Skywatchr likes this

#4 MJB87

MJB87

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 02 March 2024 - 08:02 AM

Moving to an appropriate forum.

• Skywatchr likes this

#5 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 02 March 2024 - 12:44 PM

What is problem with your Autostar II ? If the display is dead it can be replaced  with this display 

https://buttonworx.c...14-Pin-LCD.html

The autostar 497 and the Autostar II use the same display 

- Dave 

• Skywatchr and David Mercury like this

#6 nssian

nssian

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Cairns Queensland Australia

Posted 04 March 2024 - 02:53 PM

What is problem with your Autostar II ? If the display is dead it can be replaced with this display
https://buttonworx.c...14-Pin-LCD.html
The autostar 497 and the Autostar II use the same display

- Dave

Thanks Dave, this link is really helpful.

Audiostar controllers are AU$400 over here !

He has lots of great hacks on there that could bring a controller back to life đź‘Ť

Edited by nssian, 04 March 2024 - 02:56 PM.

• Skywatchr likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Meade, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics