•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Askar Fra400 with Daystar quark

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Navalaviation

Navalaviation

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2024 - 02:58 PM

So I recently purchased a Daystar quark chromosphere model, my plan was to use it with my Askar Fra400 but now I have read things that seem like the Petzval design could give me serious issues without an ERF. So this has me worried enough to make me consider buying a SVBony 70mm or 80mm doublet as a “dedicated” solar scope without worries of anything being damaged. I am wondering if anyone has used this setup and has any ideas of how I could use my Askar without damaging it or the quark or if I should just buy a doublet.

#2 cengell

cengell

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 16 March 2024 - 06:14 PM

Hi since no one has posted, I have or read that too. I think the reason is the original "Petzval design" had oil in the design, but the more modern "Petzval design" like the Askar & ZWO which is made by Askar/Sharpstar.

So the only consideration is how many elements are being use 5-6 I think in a "Petzval design"

Now I have an ZWO FF65 by Askar/Sharpstar and was thinking using this with my Quark Chromo unit for the April 8 Solar event.

I would think you do NOT need an ERF for an 80mm or less per Daystar... I would suggest ASAP when Sunny to set it up and test it and put your hands on the OTA and see if it's getting warm? Also you will need either a UV filter or like I did I got The Player-One ERF filter, comes in 1.25" $49 & 2" for $89 and they thread on a Diag or if not using a Diag the on to the Daystar.

I got them from Dan at Astroworld, great guy and started his own Astro business. He's also does a YouTube channel Astroworld.. I get nothing from this just he's good person and help the Astro Community! 

I just looked he only has 1 left... FYI

https://astroworldte...rf-filter-1-25 

What's on his site is this.

The Player One S series filter uses high quality optical glass and multi-layer composite coating technology, which results in excellent optical performance in astrophotography.

1.25inch ERF filter ( Energy rejection filter for Quark Chromosphere)

This filter is an assistant filter, design for Quark Chromosphere (Ha version) , intended to reject energy and extend life time of your Quark.

1.25″ ERF filter works on 5″ or smaller refractors.

(DO NOT use it on eyepiece for observing)

Why add a ERF on Quark?

First filter on Quark is quite small, the solar disk might bigger than it, the light will heat the filter and it’s holder. With this 1.25″ ERF filter, we can protect both the filter and filter holder from high temperature.

And don’t worry about the ERF itself, it’s use B270 transparent glass and multi coating, it will reflect not absort most energy.

Does it has any other usages?

Yes, this ERF filter also can be used in Lunar imaging, it will provide even brighter image than IR685 filter, also could improving the seeing.

P.S I also have an SVBONY 70 ED and that is my backup if I read something like "DO NOT USE A Petzval design scope for Solar!" But I don't think I will???

Edited by cengell, 16 March 2024 - 06:17 PM.

#3 ABQJeff

ABQJeff

Gemini

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 17 March 2024 - 10:01 AM

Just a data point: Televue has stated their petzval designs are fine for use with a Quark.

So why the caution on Daystar’s site?  IMHO: 1) as mentioned older Petzvals were a problem 2) liability 

Similar to statement that you need a front ERF for more than 120mm but others have done up to 150mm without front ERF no problem (of course always using a back ERF (ie a normal dielectric coated filter that lets Red through but blocks other colors, eg UV/IR, SkyGlow/LP,  Baader Red CMOS, Baader 610 longpass, etc.)  Everyone usually has one of these in their kit so should use it regardless.

For the OP: contact Askar and ask them

Edited by ABQJeff, 17 March 2024 - 11:04 AM.

• cengell likes this

#4 cengell

cengell

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 17 March 2024 - 11:33 AM

Just a data point: Televue has stated their petzval designs are fine for use with a Quark.

So why the caution on Daystar’s site?  IMHO: 1) as mentioned older Petzvals were a problem 2) liability 

Similar to statement that you need a front ERF for more than 120mm but others have done up to 150mm without front ERF no problem (of course always using a back ERF (ie a normal dielectric coated filter that lets Red through but blocks other colors, eg UV/IR, SkyGlow/LP,  Baader Red CMOS, Baader 610 longpass, etc.)  Everyone usually has one of these in their kit so should use it regardless.

For the OP: contact Askar and ask them

ABQJeff all makes sense.. I was told a few years ago on CL that my Quark & a Ha filter would alos work a 7nm cheap svbony filter, so there are so many options, but I am glad I got the Player-One ERF and now KNOW it's going to help make the Quark last longer.

Also I think Daystar is being on the side of CAUTION than knowing facts? I I have not heard that a 150 refractor did not really need the ERF but I think it also comes down to either continuous imaging the Sun for hours then I would suggest a front ERF, but if only a few minuets then maybe it's ok? Still use some UV/Ha, ERF on the Quark.

Thank you for the info. I agree reaching out to Sharpstar and just see if they will reply as that would hold them accountable or they do reply saying no reports of damage?

Christopher

#5 ABQJeff

ABQJeff

Gemini

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 18 March 2024 - 01:35 AM

ABQJeff all makes sense.. I was told a few years ago on CL that my Quark & a Ha filter would alos work a 7nm cheap svbony filter, so there are so many options, but I am glad I got the Player-One ERF and now KNOW it's going to help make the Quark last longer.

Also I think Daystar is being on the side of CAUTION than knowing facts? I I have not heard that a 150 refractor did not really need the ERF but I think it also comes down to either continuous imaging the Sun for hours then I would suggest a front ERF, but if only a few minuets then maybe it's ok? Still use some UV/Ha, ERF on the Quark.

Thank you for the info. I agree reaching out to Sharpstar and just see if they will reply as that would hold them accountable or they do reply saying no reports of damage?

Christopher

Yes a 7nm Ha will work with Quark, a bit of overkill in blocking unwanted light cool.gif !  As far as liability, unless you can prove they read your message and they intentionally did not respond just to cause you loss, I don’t think you will have any claim.  But I also think if you send their customer support an email they will respond. 

And yes there is difference for viewing for 30mins vs imaging for 4-6 hours for those who have gone without front ERF.

Edited by ABQJeff, 18 March 2024 - 01:37 AM.

#6 cengell

cengell

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 18 March 2024 - 10:32 PM

Today after work I was able to connect my Quark Chromo on my ZWO FF65 using a GSO 2" Diag and a Player One ERF filter on the front end of the Diag, I was able to get full Sun using a Svbony 40mm 1.2" Plossl EP and for the first time I saw the Sun spots and the prominences!

Wow what a site for me!! I tried my new ZWO FF65 scope and was sharp and other then my mount needing tracking adjustments as it was no where Polar alignment.

It was sharp and I found that the ZWO FF65 was cool and was a nice site, I may try the reducer 0.75. I did not see on the surface of the Sun surfaces with any details, maybe some light surface detail but nothing I see in good Sun images.

I read that if I make a scope ring to reduce the incoming light like stopping it down I should make it slower and bringing out more surface details??

Christopher

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics