•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sunglasses in the city (at night)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Takuan

Takuan

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Barcelona/ Universe

Posted 02 March 2024 - 06:34 PM

I am a bicycle user in the city for medium journeys, up to approximately 40'. The other night I did the experiment. I crossed almost the entire city wearing sunglasses. It is true that they are not very dark glasses, but it was an experience that was somewhere between fun and pleasant and depressing. At no moment did I fear for my integrity because I couldn't see the road or pedestrians; on the contrary, sunglasses protected my eyes from excessive traffic lights and streetlights, making me, in fact, see better.
I tell the experience to non-astronomers and they think I'm crazy. In reality, they are the ones who, if not crazy, are, somehow, blind.

Edited by Takuan, 02 March 2024 - 06:36 PM.

• Astrojensen, Randolph Jay, havasman and 2 others like this

#2 Jlex

Jlex

Messenger

• Loc: Lexington, Ky

Posted 02 March 2024 - 07:03 PM

Having a pair of sensitive eyes myself, I completely get it.  I wear some type of eye protection anytime I'm outdoors in all light conditions and many scenarios when I'm indoors.  If I were a night bike rider, I'd definitely wear a pair just to keep the wind from drying my eyes out.  

Inasmuch as I'm an advocate of protecting hearing, I'm equally an advocate for protecting eyes.  Ultraviolet light is an eye killer over time.  I don't mind getting poked at for wearing sunglasses on cloudy days, I just give those folks a thumbs up and carry on.   

Your post has me thinking about my astro program.  I haven't used anything for protection or better seeing, my eyes absolutely hate red light at night.  Though provoking for sure, thank you.

• Takuan likes this

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 02 March 2024 - 07:11 PM

They make special glasses for being out at night, similar to sunglasses, but less dark, designed specifically for being out at night.  It's an option.  Examples.

https://www.amazon.c...ef=nb_sb_noss_1

Edited by bobzeq25, 02 March 2024 - 07:12 PM.

• PXR-5, Takuan, Dobs O Fun and 1 other like this

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 03 March 2024 - 05:22 AM

Having a pair of sensitive eyes myself, I completely get it.  I wear some type of eye protection anytime I'm outdoors in all light conditions and many scenarios when I'm indoors.  If I were a night bike rider, I'd definitely wear a pair just to keep the wind from drying my eyes out.

I commuted to work on a bicycle for about 25 years and rode for recreation as well.  I always wore transition lenses (self darkening) to protect my eyes. At night, I had bright headlights and multiple taillights.  In the winter, I rode home at night, I rode in the rain..  

At night, there are always spots that are darker, under trees, the rain-slickened road, the roads are not always the best. When one is riding every night, it's not worth risking hitting an unseen pothole at speed, some sections might be 15mph, some 30mph-40mph... If I saw a pot hole, i could Bunny Hop it..  No sunglasses for me when riding a night.

Jon

• Takuan and Jlex like this

#5 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

ISS

• Loc: New Lebanon, NY and Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 03 March 2024 - 05:58 AM

At night, there are always spots that are darker, under trees, the rain-slickened road, the roads are not always the best. When one is riding every night, it's not worth risking hitting an unseen pothole at speed, some sections might be 15mph, some 30mph-40mph... If I saw a pot hole, i could Bunny Hop it..  No sunglasses for me when riding a night.

My sediments precisely. And speaking of bunny hops, on my particular commutes in Cambridge, MA, rabbits are also a major hazard. Turkeys can be a problem too, but at least they stay put -- especially when there's a hundred cars backed up behind them, all honking their horns. Bunnies love to dash out right in front of you. It's a miracle I've never hit one.

Another way of looking at it is how bright does my headlight need to be? In general I prefer dimmer for a number of reasons, including not blinding cyclists coming the opposite way on a bike path. But the headlight does need to be bright enough to illuminate obstacles on parts of my path that have little or no ambient light. With sunglasses I would need a brighter headlight.

• Takuan likes this

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 03 March 2024 - 09:11 AM

Another way of looking at it is how bright does my headlight need to be? In general I prefer dimmer for a number of reasons, including not blinding cyclists coming the opposite way on a bike path. But the headlight does need to be bright enough to illuminate obstacles on parts of my path that have little or no ambient light. With sunglasses I would need a brighter headlight.

I used headlights with two beams that could be individually aimed and turn on and off. If I was concerned about another cyclist, I could turn the more distant beam off. Very little of my riding was done on bike paths with cyclists going in the opposite direction. On my normal commutes, it was a half mile out of 10 miles at most. Most used no such paths.

I wanted cars to see me and to think I was another car with just one headlight or a motorcycle. Bright is good. 

Jon

#7 dmilone

dmilone

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 March 2024 - 09:43 AM

Reminds me of that 1980's song, "I Wear my Sunglasses at Night". 

• PXR-5 and Takuan like this

#8 Takuan

Takuan

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2024 - 10:18 AM

I commuted to work on a bicycle for about 25 years and rode for recreation as well. I always wore transition lenses (self darkening) to protect my eyes. At night, I had bright headlights and multiple taillights. In the winter, I rode home at night, I rode in the rain..

At night, there are always spots that are darker, under trees, the rain-slickened road, the roads are not always the best. When one is riding every night, it's not worth risking hitting an unseen pothole at speed, some sections might be 15mph, some 30mph-40mph... If I saw a pot hole, i could Bunny Hop it.. No sunglasses for me when riding a night.

Jon

Cycling around the city on bike lanes is very different from riding on roads, Jon (you know that, of course). My experience in my city at night is as I told: Not too dark sunglasses are more of a benefit than a danger (at a moderate speed, without rushing).
I don't like the road much. Many accidents in my area; it is dangerous. Not for me.

Do those transition lenses also darken at night?

#9 Takuan

Takuan

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2024 - 10:25 AM

They make special glasses for being out at night, similar to sunglasses, but less dark, designed specifically for being out at night. It's an option. Examples.

https://www.amazon.c...ef=nb_sb_noss_1

Does anyone have experience with these glasses?

#10 daedalus

daedalus

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rhode Island, United States

Posted 03 March 2024 - 12:20 PM

I wear this type of night vision glasses every time I'm driving at night. Blue turns grey, and violet turns almost black. Other colors, as far as I can tell, are true and unattenuated.

The real problem with night driving is headlights. Bright blue white light introducing glare and ruining night vision with after image. The "shooting glasses" block the blue light, leaving almost an instantaneous recovery from headlight blindness.

They take some time to convince yourself that your visual acuity at night is not compromised with these glasses. After that, you will probably be relieved of night driving problems.
  • Takuan likes this

#11 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 03 March 2024 - 03:18 PM

Yes.  They work some, it's not a life changing difference.  <smile>

• PXR-5 and Takuan like this

#12 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

• Loc: NJ USA

Posted 04 March 2024 - 12:41 AM

Yes. They work some, it's not a life changing difference. <smile>

I've got to get a pair of them for my evening walks :)
  • Takuan likes this

#13 KI5CAW

KI5CAW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: East Mountains, New Mexico

Posted 04 March 2024 - 10:32 AM

Speaking of UV light, my new glasses from Costco come with a light yellow coating that dims the blue light coming from our ubiquitous LED screens. It also cuts UV. But as I live at 6700 feet, I always wear sunglasses anyway.

• Takuan likes this

#14 kevin6876

kevin6876

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: RI, USA

Posted 04 March 2024 - 01:59 PM

I so enjoy a night bike ride in the darkness.  Feels like flying in a sense, as you must rely on other senses to help you navigate the depths of varying darkness along each winding road.

Potholes do suck though.

• PXR-5 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics