•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ5 pro synscan goto - worth to upgrade from EQ3-2 goto?

Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GTom

GTom

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2024 - 07:43 PM

I am thinking on an easy transportable mount for my refractors, which both are a bit heavy for the Star Adventurer GTi.

Currently playing around with a motorized EQ3-2, which is OK for visual, I have doubts (and way too much clouds to test ATM) about photography.

Is it a good idea, to swap the EQ3-2 to the EQ5 (not the heavy but respected HEQ5 or the modern AZ-EQ5, just their cheap cousin)? Second hand it would cost me the same as an Adventurer GTI, it would just as well fit in the checked luggage when travelling and I'd probably worry far less about wind, etc than with the overloaded SA GTi.

#2 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Viking 1

• Loc: Lewisville, TX

Posted 04 March 2024 - 04:36 AM

Well i use the HEQ5 for astrophotography so i can say yes it will work.  I use it with a Meade 8" OTA loaded with camera gear and as long as i balance it properly it works fine.  I have 2x 11# weights for it and 1x 5# in case i need one. I usually only need the 2x 11# ones though for my setup.  see my profile image here for what it looks like.

• GTom likes this

#3 GTom

GTom

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2024 - 05:27 AM

No doubt the HEQ5 is a brilliant mount for AP, just a bit heavy for a flight baggage grin.gif . Of course once set up, weight is on your side!

#4 Celerondon

Celerondon

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 04 March 2024 - 11:13 AM

If you are interested in an astrophotography-capable mount that is airline portable then the relatively primitive EQ5 and massive HEQ5 will both be unsuitable.  Spend HEQ5 money for a strain wave mount and your concerns regarding capacity and other capabilities will be addressed.  An HEM-15 or AM3 would easily manage payloads that match or exceed those of the EQ5 without the bulk of counterweight hardware and fiddling with RA balancing. 

Can your mount budget handle one of those ultra compact strain wave mounts?  I can see tucking either one of them into my checked luggage with a CF tripod but I don’t know about doing the same with a traditional GEM.  

Don

#5 GTom

GTom

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2024 - 12:29 PM

You can even put a G11 in the checked luggage (=hold). Carry-on is another story. Agreed though, the HEQ5 is on the heavy side but I'd put it on a wind contest against a lighter (strain wave or not) mount 😅.

If you are interested in an astrophotography-capable mount that is airline portable then the relatively primitive EQ5 and massive HEQ5 will both be unsuitable. Spend HEQ5 money for a strain wave mount and your concerns regarding capacity and other capabilities will be addressed. An HEM-15 or AM3 would easily manage payloads that match or exceed those of the EQ5 without the bulk of counterweight hardware and fiddling with RA balancing.

Can your mount budget handle one of those ultra compact strain wave mounts? I can see tucking either one of them into my checked luggage with a CF tripod but I don’t know about doing the same with a traditional GEM.

Don

• Celerondon likes this

#6 Celerondon

Celerondon

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 04 March 2024 - 08:41 PM

You can even put a G11 in the checked luggage (=hold). Carry-on is another story. Agreed though, the HEQ5 is on the heavy side but I'd put it on a wind contest against a lighter (strain wave or not) mount .

Those are good points, GTom!  Those strain wave mounts are both carry-on portable so they would be an easy fit in checked baggage.  And strain wave mounts, although many things, are not massive devices.  However, my AM5 is surprisingly stable on a weighted TC40, and I expect that it will be even better up to its limits on my Planet or any similar tripod. 

Whether I transport my mount as carry-on or checked baggage, I might not select it for its suitability for a "wind contest". wink.gif I have flown with a GEM before, but I wouldn't want to bring the tripod for a G11 much less the mount head on an airplane with me.  However, I would not be surprised to hear that some folks travel with G11s and more.  

Don

AM5 & Planet

• GTom likes this

#7 Spaceman 56

Spaceman 56

Aurora

• Loc: New Zealand

Posted 05 March 2024 - 04:56 AM

I have an AZ/EQ5 Pro and the Pier upgrade.

its been an excellent mount for me, with a Stellarvue 80mm and a Takahashi FSQ-106.

I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone, with a small to medium size refractor, for imaging. 

• GTom likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics