•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

zeiss theatis

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ingjuju

ingjuju

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2024 - 01:57 AM

Hello everyone!

I have a Carl Zeiss Jena Theatis 3.5 x 15 Opera Binocular, recently buyed, but the diopter adjustment does not work, it seems to be blocked. What can I do to fix the problem?

#2 Ant1

Ant1

Viking 1

Posted 04 March 2024 - 06:01 AM

Hi

Gentle heat, penetrating oil, and patience will soften the dried-up grease.

A pair of pliers and brute force is the way NOT to go.

regards

ant1

• j.gardavsky and ingjuju like this

#3 ingjuju

ingjuju

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2024 - 02:27 PM

Thank you! I  will try it!

#4 abe

abe

Mariner 2

• Loc: Madison, Wisconsin

Posted 09 March 2024 - 03:44 PM

Hello everyone!

I have a Carl Zeiss Jena Theatis 3.5 x 15 Opera Binocular, recently buyed, but the diopter adjustment does not work, it seems to be blocked. What can I do to fix the problem?

Aside from the diopter issue, what do you think of these for general use?   They appear to be elegant, nicely made, and nicely compact.

#5 Kassiopeia

Kassiopeia

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Swiss

Posted 13 March 2024 - 03:36 AM

The single-coated Zeiss Theatis is ideal for observation in illuminated interiors and has a low close focus: art galleries, museums, theatres, training courses with illegible PowerPoint presentations, insects on balcony plants, paintings and carvings in half-lit churches, etc.

The magnification is imho too low for observing nature outside.

Dioptre compensation available (in contrast to newer and expensive Zeiss West Diadems with roof prisms / kepler principle from the 1980s or Galilei opera glasses)) but the theatis cannot be used with glasses.

Have them automatically translated if you are interested:
https://www.fernglas...tete_optik.html

http://www.fernglas-...eatis_35x15.htm

With the use of some more than hand-hot hair dryer and a little motor oil in the centre drive and eyepiece thread of the diopter adjustment, the old hardened grease on my Theatis came loose and now works perfectly. I had unscrewed the eyecup and a ring that is clamped with 3 grub screws.

Edited by Kassiopeia, 13 March 2024 - 04:49 AM.

#6 ingjuju

ingjuju

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 March 2024 - 05:05 AM

The binoculars are a little jewel, they are partially covered with reptile skin, they have quality finishes, but they are also robust.

#7 ingjuju

ingjuju

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 March 2024 - 05:14 AM

Kassiopeia,

That's exactly what I did - the first part, I used the hair dryer and a little oil. I unscrewed the eyecup, but did not remove the ring. I will try this too!
Thanks for the idea!

#8 ingjuju

ingjuju

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 March 2024 - 10:46 AM

Kassiopeia,

I'll come back with details. My binoculars do not have those three screws on the diopter adjustment ring, it locks in place with the pin attached to the ring.
So what can I do in this case?

Edited by ingjuju, 14 March 2024 - 10:49 AM.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#9 Kassiopeia

Kassiopeia

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Swiss

Posted 15 March 2024 - 04:08 AM

Hi,
The dioptre adjustment of your Theatis is constructed differently to mine.

I think you can use a rag to turn the "star". (There is no such "star" on my Theatis as your 2nd photo shows).

After removing the dioptre ring, I unscrewed the eyepiece as far as possible; you can tighten the adjustment ring a little beforehand (use adjustment ring again). Unfortunately, only a few threads are exposed (not the entire thread). I then used a toothpick to apply some engine oil to these threads. Do not use penetrating oil, as this can easily get into the optics. Then attach the dioptre ring and turn it back and forth. Often and for a long time. At some point it became easier. Perhaps use a hair dryer again. You can easily reset the dioptre adjustment to zero with the same eye for both eyepieces. If necessary, I'll write to you and tell you how to do it. Good luck.

Edited by Kassiopeia, 15 March 2024 - 04:20 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics