•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Askar 32mm Guide Scope Problem

Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SouthWestAstro

SouthWestAstro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2024 - 01:23 PM

I just got an Askar 32mm guide scope. I cannot get the helical focuser to work. The way it's supposed to work is shown in this video:

https://www.youtube....h?v=cbDIU7yGm68

While I can rotate the OTA with respect to the rear part, the two front parts of the OTA seem to be stuck in place.

I may end up having to return it but I'd like to get it working for use this coming week.

Does anyone have experience with this guide scope ?

#2 PIEJr

PIEJr

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Los Angeles County, Southern California

Posted 03 March 2024 - 02:02 PM

No, don't have one.

Are there any stop screws you might have missed?

(Iask, because both of my helical focuser guide scopes have a set thumb screw to hold the adjustment once done. (Orion 50mm and newer Svbony 60mm)

Call the vendor and ask them. Probably just something you are overlooking. Good Luck! Hope you don't have to return it.

• SouthWestAstro likes this

#3 starblue

starblue

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: St. George, Utah, USA

Posted 03 March 2024 - 02:09 PM

While I can rotate the OTA with respect to the rear part, the two front parts of the OTA seem to be stuck in place.

I don't understand. One focuses by turning the knurled ring. On mine it's buttery smooth throughout its range. I have no problems focusing my ASI174MM guide camera with it. The issue I have with it is that there's no locking ring to keep it at the focus point, unlike a lot of finder scopes. The front smooth half of it looks like it should be a locking ring but it's not. I emailed the vendor and they verified there's no lock.

• PIEJr likes this

#4 PIEJr

PIEJr

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 March 2024 - 02:15 PM

I don't understand. One focuses by turning the knurled ring. On mine it's buttery smooth throughout its range. I have no problems focusing my ASI174MM guide camera with it. The issue I have with it is that there's no locking ring to keep it at the focus point, unlike a lot of finder scopes. The front smooth half of it looks like it should be a locking ring but it's not. I emailed the vendor and they verified there's no lock.

Tape?

#5 SouthWestAstro

SouthWestAstro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2024 - 02:34 PM

The knurled ring rotates freely but the two parts at the front stay stuck together. They don't separate, revealing the focus scale, like in the video.

#6 PIEJr

PIEJr

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 March 2024 - 03:38 PM

The knurled ring rotates freely but the two parts at the front stay stuck together. They don't separate, revealing the focus scale, like in the video.

I could suggest a gentle pull on the forward while turning the knurled ring.

But may be best to return it, and not fiddle with it.

You don't want to pay double to get a working scope. bawling.gif

Edited by PIEJr, 03 March 2024 - 03:39 PM.

#7 starblue

starblue

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: St. George, Utah, USA

Posted 03 March 2024 - 04:48 PM

Yes, the 2 sections should separate as you turn the knurled ring, revealing the focus scale. If that's not happening, you should return or exchange it. 

• SouthWestAstro likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics