•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My First M42 - This was a Challenge

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DevilDog68

DevilDog68

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: AL

Posted 03 March 2024 - 05:28 PM

My first image of M42. The final image is shown in HOO using NarrowbandNormalization in PI.

I've been working on this one on and off for about four days. My challenge was not blowing out the core - I wanted to ensure the trapezium was still visible. I could see the trapezium after stretching but I kept failing to maintain the visual during processing. I asked Adam Block for some guidance and he pointed me to his Orion processing tutorial. I still struggled.

Today, I finally found the right sequence where I could show some detail without blowing out the middle and still show the trapezium (you will need to zoom in wink.gif ).

Scope: AT72EDii

Camera: ASI533MCpro
Guide Camera: ASI120MM
Guide Scope: ASI 30 mm f/4 guide scope
Filter: Antlia Ha/Oiii
Mount: Losmandy G11g
Captured in NINA, processed in PixInsight

All subs were 60 seconds. I think I had about 5-1/2 hours of data. I'm sure more data would have made the job a bit easier.

Attached Thumbnails

• m42_final_v3_70.jpg

• Jim Waters, spames, maknswarf and 6 others like this

#2 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Wandering the PNW

Posted 03 March 2024 - 05:32 PM

Well worth the struggle!

• DevilDog68 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics