•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Choice of 2 mounts: Old Celestron GT & Meade DS-2000

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 urself25

urself25

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2024 - 10:09 PM

I'm new in astronomy and i'm equiping myself for sky viewing this summer (canadian, so night are still cold right now). I don't have a lot of cash to invest in newer and premium mounts.

I have the choice of 2 mounts at this time: A old Celestron GT with a V104 HC or a Meade DS-2000 with a 497 controller.

One of these will go with my Tasco SpaceStation 114x500mm Newtonian reflecting telescope. 

Which mount should I choose?

#2 barbarosa

barbarosa

Skylab

• Loc: Near San Francisco Bay

Posted 03 March 2024 - 11:06 PM

Off the top go for the Celestron.

I owned a used DS-2000 for about 15 days. It would have been less if a buyer appeared sooner. I did not pay much and I sold it for less, much less. I had a conscience. Another week and it would have gone to the Goodwill. The only thing worse than that mount was the Tasco Galaxsee  on an EQ mount that someone gave me after saying "Its free, but you'll hate it."

Go for the Celestron

• Phil Cowell and urself25 like this

#3 vtornado

vtornado

Cosmos

• Loc: Kane County Illinois

Posted 03 March 2024 - 11:10 PM

do you know how you are going to attach your scope to the mount?

Does the meade come with clamshell and will that clamshell fit your your scope.

Some (maybe all) celestron gt mounts had a vixen saddle so any telescope with a vixen rail could be mounted.

If purchased used, I know the GT has plastic gears and needs to be tested.  On any of these mounts can you return the mount if it doesn't work?

#4 Dwight J

Dwight J

Aurora

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 04 March 2024 - 05:30 PM

My Meade DS2000 died in about5 hours of use.  Recouped the cost by selling the 297 controller.  That leaves the Celestron.

• urself25 likes this

#5 macdonjh

macdonjh

Cosmos

Posted 04 March 2024 - 08:24 PM

I had a DS-2000, it almost killed my daughter's interest in astronomy.  I didn't find anything good about it.

The Celestron AS-GT is a variant of the EQ-5.  It has metal gears, motors strong enough to move even a slightly imbalanced scope and can be serviced and maintained by the owner.  One thing to be aware of: the AS-GT is really old now and Celestron doesn't support any of the circuit boards inside it (as far as I know).  If one of the boards goes bad you'll lose go-to and/ or tracking.  Just beware, if the price you're being offered is good enough the risk may be worthwhile. 

#6 urself25

urself25

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 March 2024 - 06:20 PM

do you know how you are going to attach your scope to the mount?

Does the meade come with clamshell and will that clamshell fit your your scope.

Some (maybe all) celestron gt mounts had a vixen saddle so any telescope with a vixen rail could be mounted.

If purchased used, I know the GT has plastic gears and needs to be tested.  On any of these mounts can you return the mount if it doesn't work?

Thanks. I already tested the GT prior to my purchase based on the comments. My telescope was within the specs and Celestron did make a similarly specs telescope for this mount, so I wasn't scared that it wouldn't work. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics