•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Swapping C11 OTA's possible?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 skycamper

skycamper

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Beaverton OR

Posted 03 March 2024 - 10:17 PM

I have two C11's one is an XLT version bought as an OTA  and the other is HD version which is fork mounted.   I want to swap them so I can put the Edge scope on my AP1200 GEM mount and use the XLT and the portable rig for outreach and dark skies and such. Any problems here?  

Thanks

Abraham

• Exnihilo likes this

#2 hyiger

hyiger

Skylab

• Loc: East Bay, CA

Posted 03 March 2024 - 11:10 PM

Deforking the Edge is easily doable (helped a friend defork an Edge9.25) but I don’t think you’ll be able to easily do the opposite to the XLT (forking it) meaning it will require surgery to get it mounted. 

Edited by hyiger, 04 March 2024 - 08:13 AM.

• Exnihilo likes this

#3 skycamper

skycamper

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2024 - 12:25 AM

The XLT is a free Optical tube.

#4 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 04 March 2024 - 07:51 AM

It's likely you'll need to drill holes in the XLT 11" to match those on the Edge 11 to accept the mounting parts.  

#5 Exnihilo

Exnihilo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 04 March 2024 - 09:10 AM

Deforking the Edge is easily doable (helped a friend defork an Edge9.25) but I don’t think you’ll be able to easily do the opposite to the XLT (forking it) meaning it will require surgery to get it mounted. 

My C11 Edge is a deforked CPC, the nice thing about these is it has 3 vents instead of the standard two.

#6 skycamper

skycamper

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2024 - 11:35 AM

It's likely you'll need to drill holes in the XLT 11" to match those on the Edge 11 to accept the mounting parts.  

Yeah I guess I wont be doing that then, drat!   I thought I was going to get away with something here.

#7 photoracer18

photoracer18

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 04 March 2024 - 03:35 PM

Yeah I guess I wont be doing that then, drat!   I thought I was going to get away with something here.

Drilling and tapping as the holes in the OTA are where the threaded holes are. In some cases Celestron used the same OTAs so the holes are already there in some tubes as they just put screws in the extra holes. You might check that.

• skycamper likes this

#8 skycamper

skycamper

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 10 March 2024 - 02:18 AM

Drilling and tapping as the holes in the OTA are where the threaded holes are. In some cases Celestron used the same OTAs so the holes are already there in some tubes as they just put screws in the extra holes. You might check that.

Hmmmm interesting, since I’m deforking an HD scope anyway, I’ll definitely see if that’s the case on the XLT.  I’ll report back!

#9 macdonjh

macdonjh

Cosmos

Posted 10 March 2024 - 07:50 AM

If you're drill-phobic another option is OTA rings.  They are heavy and expensive, but do not require drilling.  Parallax makes them, and I think I've seen other options large enough for a C11 on Agena Astro's website.

#10 skycamper

skycamper

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 10 March 2024 - 08:21 PM

If you're drill-phobic another option is OTA rings.  They are heavy and expensive, but do not require drilling.  Parallax makes them, and I think I've seen other options large enough for a C11 on Agena Astro's website.

No no, Im deforking a C11HD to use on my AP mount, I want to put a C11XLT black version in its place on the forks. 

#11 macdonjh

macdonjh

Cosmos

Posted 11 March 2024 - 08:30 PM

No no, Im deforking a C11HD to use on my AP mount, I want to put a C11XLT black version in its place on the forks. 

Sorry, I must have read your original post backwards.

Drilling the OTA wouldn't be that hard.  Removing the corrector is a simple matter of match-marking it (use a piece of tape) so you reinstall it in its original orientation, removing the six small screws holding it in place and lifting it out.  You may need some denatured alcohol to loosen it, the correctors sometimes get stuck.  To protect your primary mirror just keep the OTA horizontal while you're drilling.  Then tip the OTA so the focuser-end is up a bit and use a vacuum cleaner with a hose on it to remove any drill shavings.  Put those pucks on, reinstall your corrector and you're done.  I'd bet the pucks go in nearly the same place on your Black Tube scope as they do on your EDGE.

Celestron, or a CN member may have a template for locating and drilling the mounting holes for the pucks.  If not, I'd put some tape on the OTA where the pucks are supposed to go, then use some tape to hold the pucks to the OTA.  Slide the OTA between the forks to get the pucks located where they're supposed to be and press the tape down so they stay put.  Pull the OTA out of the forks and use the refill from a ball-point pen to mark the locations of the screw holes on the tape.  Remove the pucks, drill the holes.  

Good luck with your project.

#12 RichA

RichA

Voyager 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 12 March 2024 - 01:43 AM

Drilling the XLT tube will likely never make it mate with the forks properly and will kill the value of the OTA.  Better to find a less expensive equatorial GEM for outreach or a free pair of older 11 inch forks.  I mounted a 7 inch Mak in 8 inch Ultima forks but it took a bit of effort.

159432332.RkYg9zu5.Skywatcher180mm.jpg

• skycamper likes this

#13 skycamper

skycamper

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 12 March 2024 - 01:05 PM

Wow that's quite a Frankenstein effort!! Good work!   Yeah Im really thinking to take the road your stating.  I'll check the mounting holes and see if it'll swap over per photoracers suggestion.  Ya never know without trying and since im deforking it I might as well try! 

#14 RichA

RichA

Voyager 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 12 March 2024 - 02:35 PM

Wow that's quite a Frankenstein effort!! Good work!   Yeah Im really thinking to take the road your stating.  I'll check the mounting holes and see if it'll swap over per photoracers suggestion.  Ya never know without trying and since im deforking it I might as well try! 

Yes, basically, I used two spacers on the bottom of the forks, attached two supports to the inner fork arms and mounted a large, flat aluminum plate between them and set the scope on it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics