•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Losmandy dual sided dovetail plate

Mount Solar Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jcschultz01

jcschultz01

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Twin Cities, MN

Posted 04 March 2024 - 02:37 PM

For the upcoming eclipse I want to use both my Celestron C9.25 (w reflective solar filter) and Lunt solar telescope but was only taking one mount.

I considered a side-by-side mount but worried about the weight of the C9.25 + equipment that far off axis (at least 25 lbs for the C9.25 without guidescope and computer).

But my C9.25 had an upside-down Losmandy dovetail on top of the telescope where I usually attached a guide scope and a local astro computer (to simplify and shorten cabling). 

My solution was to make a homemade Losmandy double sided dovetail plate with one side milled out for the Lunt Losmandy plate - see DetailOfDualDovetails picture.
Table saw at a 30 degree angle to cut the Losmandy grooves, sneaking up on the width to get a tight but sliding fit. Clean out the center with a router, dado or a lot of table saw passes. 

With the double sided dovetail plate, I could mount the Lunt solar scope on top of the C9.25 in place of the computer and the guide scope.
For solar tracking, I have the white solar tracker on top of the entire rig which works very nicely to track the sun and directly guides the EQ6-R pro mount (second picture with blue tape over the optical aperture).

Should be within weight limits of the EQ6-R Pro since I moved the local astro computer off the telescope using longer cabling and the EQ6-R pro handle attach points for securing the astro computer.  I put the astro guide camera UNDER the C9.25 though I might still remove it depending on weight. 

Just thought I would pass along the idea.  It seems to work well though of course it is cloudy today and I can't verify operation. Somewhat concerned about accurate alignment of the two telescopes but the sun does not fill either field-of-view so unless the co-alignment is REALLY bad I should be OK. 

Took longer than I expected (what else is new) but cutting the dual sided dovetail plate was not bad. Just sneak up on the correct width/spacing.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20240304 DetailOfDualDovetails.jpg
  • 20240304_ DualLosmandyDovetailsOnC9.25withSolarTelescopeClampsGuideScopeUnderneath.jpg

#2 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 04 March 2024 - 03:51 PM

Have you ever seen a total eclipse? It's amazing how fast 2-4 minutes can go by! I would concentrate on one telescope and enjoy the experience. Because regardless of what you've read, it's better!

I am taking my ETX90 and leaving the heavy hitters at home!

-drl

• Celerondon likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mount, Solar, Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics