•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wireless in the Field

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fishonkevin

fishonkevin

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 05 March 2024 - 09:58 AM

Hello

I am trying to eliminate my last cable for imaging in the field. My current system is a Beelink U59 at the scope, BT mouse, BT keyboard, wired monitor. The last cable is only a 10' cable going to the monitor. In the dark this cable presents a trip hazard. I like being able to monitor PHD, and NINA's progress through out the session and show images to Visitors who might stop by. I know from reading threads here that most people are using RDP and a laptop, but my laptop is a power hog so I don't want to go that route. I was wondering if anyone has used a  Wireless HDMI Transmitter and Receiver to accomplish this ( https://www.amazon.c...668&ref=sr_pg_1 ). There are quite a few on Amazon. I think it may work, but wanted some opinions before spending the $$.

Thanks, Kevin

#2 psandelle

psandelle

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Los Angeles

Posted 05 March 2024 - 02:33 PM

Hello

I am trying to eliminate my last cable for imaging in the field. My current system is a Beelink U59 at the scope, BT mouse, BT keyboard, wired monitor. The last cable is only a 10' cable going to the monitor. In the dark this cable presents a trip hazard. I like being able to monitor PHD, and NINA's progress through out the session and show images to Visitors who might stop by. I know from reading threads here that most people are using RDP and a laptop, but my laptop is a power hog so I don't want to go that route. I was wondering if anyone has used a  Wireless HDMI Transmitter and Receiver to accomplish this ( https://www.amazon.c...668&ref=sr_pg_1 ). There are quite a few on Amazon. I think it may work, but wanted some opinions before spending the $$.

Thanks, Kevin

You could remote in with a tablet. That's what I do, either with direct control (table to Beelink).

Paul

#3 TDPerry

TDPerry

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: East Texas

Posted 07 March 2024 - 02:24 AM

What I do is simply use my old router (after I upgraded the house one) and obtained a 5.5x2.1mm power cable to supply power to it from my battery for when I do remote stuff  (otherwise when I am at home I'm close enough to use the home WiFi since I have a mesh system installed).

Hook the router up to the battery, power it up and once it's percolating along I then fire the computers up, which are set to connect to the SSID automatically when they detect it.  Then I run headless on the control computers using VNC.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics