•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Someplace different

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nof

nof

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 17 March 2024 - 08:59 PM

Hello,
My wife and I have spent the last week at OzSky Star safari in Coonabarabran, NSW Australia.
*SEVEN* out of seven  nights of observing with larger scopes- from 14” to 25”. Was it spectacular? Yes!! All you have to do is show up, they provide the scopes and all the guidance that you need, all at very low cost, it’s a nonprofit enterprise run by volunteers. 

I admit that though I wanted to sketch more, I only made a few, partly because I was sharing the scopes with others and mostly because I wanted to see as much as I could, who knows if I will ever be back? so here is my sketch of the ever absorbing and complex Tarantula Nebula in another galaxy Very close to ours, the Large Magellanic Cloud, only 160000 light years from home.  Home away from home. A little further than Australia.

This nebula is staggering in its depth and complexity. I could see Orion at the same time in the early evening sky and skipped back and forth between them. 

this sketch was made with the 18” obsession and 26mm Nagler. I had views of the Tarantula in the 20” & 25” but sketching was easier with this scope since I had it pretty much to myself for several nights and it didn’t need a large ladder, so viewing was more comfortable.

A few days later  I saw an earthly tarantula, or one of its near cousins, who came and sat beside me while I was making a bbq.

best to all!

IMG_0942.jpeg

• paulsky, frank5817, Mel Bartels and 25 others like this

#2 bphaneuf

bphaneuf

Surveyor 1

• Loc: GHRO: Lat: 34.696; Lon: -80.537

Posted 17 March 2024 - 09:48 PM

Wow!  What a fantastic view nof!  And what a great trip and venue!

• nof likes this

#3 frank5817

frank5817

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 17 March 2024 - 10:18 PM

nof,

What a great get away. Impressive sketch of the Tarantula nebula. Thanks for posting this.

Frank :)

• nof likes this

#4 Nightowl99

Nightowl99

Messenger

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 17 March 2024 - 11:38 PM

Incredible, what an experience! The sketch is beautiful and complex, so intricate. When I started sketching it was to have a record, like a souvenir, of what I've seen. The ability to capture the experience through the eyepiece of such a rare moment is really a gift. Thanks for sharing!
  • nof likes this

#5 JMSchwartz

JMSchwartz

Viking 1

• Loc: Simi Valley California 93065

Posted 18 March 2024 - 08:08 AM

Nof,  it's spectacular. 

cheers Jon 

• nof likes this

#6 mdowns

mdowns

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW,FL

Posted 18 March 2024 - 12:14 PM

That sounds like the star gazers trip of a lifetime,no setup,clear skies and large scopes,wow.We're very glad you took the time for this well drawn rendering.The story and drawing from your trip gives us all great 'daydream' materialsmile.gif . Very enjoyable post nof!

• nof likes this

#7 nof

nof

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 March 2024 - 03:24 PM

That’s it Michael. It was amazing, a visual astronomer’s dream. Astrophotographers also came and brought their own stuff and set up at some distance from the big scopes. But the majority was visual. Anyone who can manage to get here, should. It’s been going on for 31 years. It’s an awful lot of work for the volunteers and organizations and no one is paid. I’ll write more and post on the appropriate forum (general observing?). I’ll also post a couple more sketches. Thanks for your comments!
  • mdowns likes this

#8 nof

nof

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 March 2024 - 03:31 PM

Just one more comment, it was pointed out to us that this nebular region in another galaxy is so large and so bright that if it were in our galaxy at the same distance as M42 we would have no dark night sky at all, all we would be able to see is this nebula.

Thanks all for the likes and comments!
  • bphaneuf likes this

#9 Procyon Lotor

Procyon Lotor

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 March 2024 - 02:06 PM

Awesome work!

• nof likes this

#10 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

• Loc: NJ USA

Posted 20 March 2024 - 10:10 PM

Absolutely beautiful!
  • nof likes this

#11 ausastronomer

ausastronomer

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Shoalhaven Heads NSW (Australia)

Posted 04 April 2024 - 11:09 PM

Lovely sketch Neil.   Great to see you were able to come away from your time at Ozsky with some great views and some great sketches !

Cheers

John B

• nof likes this

#12 Herodotus

Herodotus

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fruita, CO B 3/4

Posted 05 April 2024 - 03:39 PM

Beautiful sketch.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics