•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Absolutely unbelievable -- Apple iPhone etc.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
94 replies to this topic

#1 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:54 PM

I wish I had more Apple stock. Take a look at this!!!
Check out the new iPhone! You can also read a transcript of the whole MacWorld Expo (live even now) here.

I would LOVE to have one... but they probably would be useless overseas. Hopefully they'll make a worldwide version soon!

CF

[Edited title to make it reflect subject a bit better... ;)]

#2 hfoster

hfoster

Ranger 4

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:19 PM

And it runs Mac OS X!!!

Looks like they didn't get the flash memory based MacBook working in time...

As pathetic as it may sound, I worked from home today so I could follow the live coverage.

Just waiting for the Apple store to come back online now...

#3 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:20 PM

CF,
Actually, according to the keynote, they are specifically making the phone so it can be used internationally (quad band - GSM and EDGE with 3G in the future). Apple has too big of an international presence to ignore that part of the market and the potential cell phone market for them outside of the US could, quite possibly, dwarf the US market potential.
The Europe release will be in 2007 Q4 and Asia in 2008.

David M.

#4 hfoster

hfoster

Ranger 4

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:23 PM

I wish I had more Apple stock.

Better wait to see what happens with that stock options thing...

#5 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:27 PM

I think most of the issues with options are past now with the internal committee and SEC reports already out for several days now. There was a bit of profit taking over the past 2 weeks with those issuances, but it has been moving back up these past few days.
David M.

#6 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:36 PM

And it runs Mac OS X!!!

As pathetic as it may sound, I worked from home today so I could follow the live coverage.

OSX = linux. I'm betting it's a teeny tiny version of the kernal.

#7 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:37 PM

What about the counter suit from the ipod clone manufacturer thay put an injunction on last year?

#8 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:48 PM

I don't think that will end up being significant. But it all depends upon the Taiwanese courts and what their civil laws address in cases dismissed with or without prejudice, which is part of what that case is about, although is also includes damages for lost sales, which is always difficult to prove (i.e., the "I could've been a contender..." argument without respect to whether you could box in the first place). It isn't like a patent issue (such as with Creative) where there was an actual intellectual asset in play. In this case, the court decided there wasn't a trademark on the look and feel of the (old) shuffle. So it is more of a nanny-nanny boo boo contest.

That probably won't have any real effect if and until a resolution is actually made on that case. Likely, it will settle out of court with little or no effect. The plaintiff is probably going to have a very very hard time proving $100MM of damages (what they are claiming) against their actual sales.

Bic

#9 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:54 PM

And it runs Mac OS X!!!

Actually, isn't BSD/Darwin (the Apple kernel) UNIX derived rather than Linux derived? :question:

However, in any case, it appears that they have at least some elements of the UI api's since the iPhone will support Apple Widgets.

David M.

#10 hfoster

hfoster

Ranger 4

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:54 PM

No, no, no. At the risk of revealing myself for the geek I am, Mac OS X is based on BSD Unix, which came out of UC Berkeley in the early 70s. Linux is a whole other thing.

You might be right about the a smaller kernel - I remember when I was doing system programming on BSD when the kernel was around 50K!

Henrietta

#11 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:08 PM

Thanks bcparker... I didn't know what all that geek talk was ("(quad band - GSM and EDGE with 3G in the future)".

I'm getting one when we head to South Africa!

CF

#12 basel10

basel10

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:19 PM

I think I will keep my razer

#13 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:21 PM

No, no, no. At the risk of revealing myself for the geek I am, Mac OS X is based on BSD Unix, which came out of UC Berkeley in the early 70s. Linux is a whole other thing.

You might be right about the a smaller kernel - I remember when I was doing system programming on BSD when the kernel was around 50K!

Henrietta

Hair / split.

:grin:

But ok. FWIW, I've used BSD, BSDI, FreeBSD several other unix variants and a ton of Linux variants. From a user standpoint (indeed from an application standpoint), 'nixs (linux and unix) are rather similar, eh?

It's gotta be a smaller kernal. Can you imagine the performance hit otherwise?? :shudder:

I suspect a large reason they went with BSD was because they could get an "exclusive" license for it.

#14 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:24 PM

I think I will keep my razer

I got a huge laugh out of his statement that the killer app for the Iphone is to "make phone calls". Unless I misremember, a killer app, is an app unique to a platform that draws people to that platform.

It's a sweet looking gadget, tis true, but seems like I can make phone calls a lot of places.

T

#15 hfoster

hfoster

Ranger 4

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:26 PM

For a completely useless and geeky bit of trivia, here's a link to a 2006 Information Week article proclaiming BSD Unix 4.3 "the Greatest Software Ever Written."

http://www.informati...cleID=191901844

In a parallel universe where BSD Unix had never been invented, there might be no Usenet newsgroup sci.astro.amateur (distant ancestor of this forum), no internet, no browsers, no Cloudy Nights ... and we'd all still be using dumb terminals hooked to IBM mainframes! :smashpc:

H.

#16 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:28 PM

Nice read!

T

#17 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:31 PM

For more Iphone pics:

http://www.engadget....st-iphone-pics/
http://www.engadget....e-apple-iphone/

#18 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:32 PM

Henrietta

Hair / split.

But ok. FWIW, I've used BSD, BSDI, FreeBSD several other unix variants and a ton of Linux variants. From a user standpoint (indeed from an application standpoint), 'nixs (linux and unix) are rather similar, eh?

It's gotta be a smaller kernal. Can you imagine the performance hit otherwise?? :shudder:

I suspect a large reason they went with BSD was because they could get an "exclusive" license for it.

BSD has a better rep for security than Linux, has a tighter control on versions that come out. You also need to tweek BSD so it can Linux programs.

I think most of the overhead with BSD or any UNIX is the GUI.

And BSD guys really take offence if you lump them with you Linux flavours. Just fore warning you.

#19 Greg K.

Greg K.

CN tech guy

• Administrators

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:33 PM

The iPhone looks amazing, but at $599 it's a bit pricey. Plus I just signed with Verizon for a year. Maybe next year it'll be $200 cheaper with quadruple the storage. :)

Interesting that it's the first "iPod" without the click wheel interface, but that just leaves more room for a screen.

#20 jouster

jouster

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:34 PM

It's a sweet looking gadget, tis true, but seems like I can make phone calls a lot of places.

T

True, but how many of them let you send IMs, take photos, use Google maps, browse the web, play widescreen movies, songs, podcasts, run widgets and a calendar, all of which sync to your computer?

And the whole thing weighs less than a fair-sized Nagler!

#21 hfoster

hfoster

Ranger 4

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:49 PM

And BSD guys really take offence if you lump them with you Linux flavours. Just fore warning you.

You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger ... and you don't say BSD is the same as Linux!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

#22 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:14 PM

Don't tease the Daemen! :shakecane:

#23 azsrr

azsrr

Messenger

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:41 PM

T

True, but how many of them let you send IMs, take photos, use Google maps, browse the web, play widescreen movies, songs, podcasts, run widgets and a calendar, all of which sync to your computer?

Agree completely. I've tried, and stopped using, just about every "smartphone" there is out there. They just don't handle well the mish-mash of software you need to make them truly useful (one recent example being my inability to make my Treo stop turning on in the middle of the night, even after 3 complete wipes & re-loads and reading every Treo forum there is).

To have all of that from one vendor will make this unique, and to have it from Apple means it actually will probably work.

Sign me up for one of these.

(sorry mods if this is vendor bashing, I don't mean it that way)

#24 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:37 PM

T

Umm, many. Any ppc or palm based smartphone... heck, my n770 does much of this, but only has voip functionaltity for phone. Granted, this looks MUCH cooler, but I'm not sure it's really offering much new...

#25 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:45 PM

Henrietta

Hair / split.

BSD has a better rep for security than Linux, has a tighter control on versions that come out. You also need to tweek BSD so it can Linux programs.

I think most of the overhead with BSD or any UNIX is the GUI.

And Linus Torvalds has gone on record as saying had he known about BSD in 1991 (and he would have had Berkely and AT&T not been embroiled in court over it) he would never have invented Linux.

But I knew the point Tom was trying to make. The Darwin Kernel and Linux both are modular enough to allow small portions of their core functionality to be adapted to embedded devices.

I'd be surprised if the iPhone version of "OS X" contains all the Aqua graphics engine, the transparency layers, the full GUI, and the drivers.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics