•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Absolutely unbelievable -- Apple iPhone etc.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
94 replies to this topic

#76 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:08 PM

It's not just the phones.

Microsoft is "wishing" that it could control just what third-party applications others are allowed to install on Vista.

#77 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:21 PM

Gee, I wish they could keep makers from installing ANY other software besides Vista. I don't like any of that junk they put on there. :ohgeeze: In this instance, I'm on MS's side. :shrug:

#78 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:26 PM

Vista is just the operating system, Steph. If nobody can install software on it, what good is it?

#79 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:43 PM

According to the news...Steve Jobs will Not challenge Cisco in court over the iPhone name... :o

Attached Thumbnails

• 1356855-boxing2.gif

#80 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:52 PM

Vista is just the operating system, Steph. If nobody can install software on it, what good is it?

Admittedly I just scanned the article quickly before going down to get lunch (hunger does that to me ;)), but I read it to say that MS wanted to make it so that Dell and IBM and HP, for instance, couldn't put onto a Vista-OS computer all that garbage they load it up with for a fee from the software companies before selling to end-users; trials for this anti-virus and that accounting package and so on....not that end-users themselves couldn't put software on it after they get the computer.

#81 hfoster

hfoster

Ranger 4

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:48 PM

Yup, my cellphone (Motorola E815) has bluetooth but has been disabled so that it will not transfer files (including images and music) using bluetooth. It will pair with a bluetooth headset. It will also pair with a Mac using their iSync program, but the only data that can be transferred is contacts and calendar info. The carrier wants subscribers to purchase mp3s, videos, games and other apps from the carrier, and they want subscribers to transfer pictures using their services.

The phone also has builtin dialup capability (to allow a laptop to connect to internet over dialup) but that has been disabled too (Verizon sells separate broadband service for laptops). It also has a web browser but it can connect to the internet only through Verizon at an additional charge.

The goal of course is to extract the maximum amount of money from customers. I was under the impression that all the carriers operated this way. I was not at all surprised to hear that the iPhone would have some limitations.

H.

#82 Greg K.

Greg K.

CN tech guy

• Administrators

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:53 PM

If the iPhone is as locked down as they're saying, who cares that it's running OS X? Where's the user benefit?

I'll stick with my cell phone and would like to see this iPhone UI in an iPod (with a big hard drive, of course). I imagine we'll see that soon enough.

#83 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:17 PM

According to the news...Steve Jobs will Not challenge Cisco in court over the iPhone name... :o

So is it to become "The device phomerly known as iPhone"?

#84 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:20 PM

Yup, my cellphone (Motorola E815) has bluetooth but has been disabled so that it will not transfer files (including images and music) using bluetooth. It will pair with a bluetooth headset. It will also pair with a Mac using their iSync program, but the only data that can be transferred is contacts and calendar info. The carrier wants subscribers to purchase mp3s, videos, games and other apps from the carrier, and they want subscribers to transfer pictures using their services.

The phone also has builtin dialup capability (to allow a laptop to connect to internet over dialup) but that has been disabled too (Verizon sells separate broadband service for laptops). It also has a web browser but it can connect to the internet only through Verizon at an additional charge.

The goal of course is to extract the maximum amount of money from customers. I was under the impression that all the carriers operated this way. I was not at all surprised to hear that the iPhone would have some limitations.

H.

What's the point?? Sheesh. I'll stick with my PDA and a basic cell phone. Thanks, but no thanks. That n800 is looking better and better every minute.

T

#85 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:17 PM

If the iPhone is as locked down as they're saying, who cares that it's running OS X? Where's the user benefit?

I'll stick with my cell phone and would like to see this iPhone UI in an iPod (with a big hard drive, of course). I imagine we'll see that soon enough.

And with that, a loud thud was heard emanating from the central west coast of the USA as the giant fell over after tripping on it's own big feet....

Give any of these big guys (and more than a few little ones) the chance and they'll shoot themselves in the foot every time.

#86 azsrr

azsrr

Messenger

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:10 AM

Will it sell - well, bluntly, probably not to me (and I suspect to others) unless some of those negatives and concerns are addressed.

Guess I've officially hit old fogie.

T

How can you not want one of these? I just don't get your reluctance.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=1xXNoB3t8vM

#87 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:58 AM

Edited:

Opps!

:o

#88 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:00 PM

Well now you're being just plain unreasonable. :throwarmsup:

:whistle:

#89 azsrr

azsrr

Messenger

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:35 PM

I thought for sure the hand grenade option would entice you. Try to find that on a Treo!

#90 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:32 PM

:o

:lol:

:bow: Too funny.

That's what I get for not looking at the video before I post...

#91 Mike Casey

Mike Casey

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:33 AM

I have my doubts about the so-called iPhone;

How badly will the iPhone’s touchscreen smudge? I mean, try eating fries or any other greasy finger food and see what you can see on that little screen…

If two or more people use the same iPhone, will using the touchscreen result in the spreading of germs and viri?

What kind of a viewer experience is it going to be trying to watch TV shows, wide-screen movies, reading iBooks, newspapers, web pages, and view photos on its dinky little smudged-up 3.5-inch “widescreen” display?

How am I going to use its keyboard with normal adult-sized thumbs or fingers? Maybe if I had thumbs or fingers the diameter of your average pencil, that task would be more feasible.

#92 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:16 AM

"If two or more people use the same iPhone, will using the touchscreen result in the spreading of germs and viri?"

You inhale far more viruses in a day than you ever pick up off an object. Also, if you're this concerned about germs, then handwashing should be a common practice, which would elliminate the "greasy fingers" from smudging up the screen.

"What kind of a viewer experience is it going to be trying to watch TV shows, wide-screen movies, reading iBooks, newspapers, web pages, and view photos on its dinky little smudged-up 3.5-inch “widescreen” display?"

The same people who currently use an iPod or Blackberry to do this.

"How am I going to use its keyboard with normal adult-sized thumbs or fingers?"

Why not test the new touchscreen technology and see? The iPhone calculates the center of your finger-presses to a tiny point, thus the size of the diget makes no difference.

PK

#93 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:33 AM

No iPhone in the land of Maple Syrup, Ben & Jerries and Cabot Cheese. Cingular has no coverege in VT!
:ohmy:

CF

#94 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:56 AM

http://www.prnewswir...04508382&EDATE=

#95 Mike Casey

Mike Casey

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:22 PM

Eight Reasons to Think Before Buying an iPhone.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics