•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I would pay for an electronic BV focuser!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Kim2010

Kim2010

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2024 - 02:10 AM

One of the most frustrating things for me is having to separately focus both eyes. I mean, focusing one eye off the scope focuser is easy. BUT then focusing the other eye using the BV rotating focuser is a pain (this is on a Maxbright II). Shake, check focus, shake, refocus till done. I love my MBII but focusing each eye I can't help but wish for a small electric focuser for the BV.

Anyone else experience this or have any good solution?

#2 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 26 March 2024 - 02:18 AM

have any good solution?

Get a better mount for your telescope.

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

• donniesoprano, cahanc and Kerste like this

#3 Kim2010

Kim2010

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2024 - 02:27 AM

Get a better mount for your telescope.

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

For now, the EQ5Pro is good enough. Thank you.

• Matt78 and MichoFreakshow like this

#4 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 26 March 2024 - 03:58 AM

I found my Vixen GP (the predecessor of the EQ-5) a little weak for a C8 or a long 4" refractor. Consider at least upgrading the tripod, if you haven't already. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

• Kim2010 likes this

#5 Kim2010

Kim2010

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2024 - 04:07 AM

I found my Vixen GP (the predecessor of the EQ-5) a little weak for a C8 or a long 4" refractor. Consider at least upgrading the tripod, if you haven't already. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

I see your point smile.gif

For my normal usage though (EAA and visual), the EQ5Pro doesn't give me the shakes, but I guess that extra Heavy (with a capital H!) BV and 2 EPs makes it less than optimal. Yup. I will surely be getting a sturdier mount and tripod though not for now. I did not anticipate that the BV would bring the mount to its knees as far as shaking when touched! Any short term things I can try would be nice though. But yeah, the introduction of the BV got the payload a bit too much I guess LOL

I am thinking maybe the AM5 in a few years' time? 

Edited by Kim2010, 26 March 2024 - 04:07 AM.

#6 Kim2010

Kim2010

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2024 - 04:10 AM

And I guess I will go for an Alt-Az (which the AM5 is also able to do, I think?) because right now, with a GEM, it is so scary seeing the HUGE BV setup turning whichever way during slewing. I need to have my hand ready anytime to catch it shocked.gif

• Matt78 likes this

#7 donniesoprano

donniesoprano

Viking 1

Posted 26 March 2024 - 09:58 AM

One of the most frustrating things for me is having to separately focus both eyes. I mean, focusing one eye off the scope focuser is easy. BUT then focusing the other eye using the BV rotating focuser is a pain (this is on a Maxbright II). Shake, check focus, shake, refocus till done. I love my MBII but focusing each eye I can't help but wish for a small electric focuser for the BV.

If you're experiencing vibrations/shaking when focusing, you need a better mount and/or tripod.

I know you say that the EQ5Pro is 'good enough', but either it's good enough because you're willing to deal with the vibrations (which you seem you are not), or it's not good enough because the vibrations are causing you issues.

Adding any electronic diopter focuser (if one did exist) would add even more weight and thus more instability to your already vibration ridden solution.

ds

#8 Kim2010

Kim2010

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2024 - 10:17 AM

If you're experiencing vibrations/shaking when focusing, you need a better mount and/or tripod.

I know you say that the EQ5Pro is 'good enough', but either it's good enough because you're willing to deal with the vibrations (which you seem you are not), or it's not good enough because the vibrations are causing you issues.

Adding any electronic diopter focuser (if one did exist) would add even more weight and thus more instability to your already vibration ridden solution.

ds

No no no.. The vibrations are only when I touch the DIOPTERS in the BVs, not when I focus with normal EP and the focuser or with an EAF.

#9 Highburymark

Highburymark

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 March 2024 - 10:22 AM

Am I alone in never focusing with my binoviewers? After initial set up, I just focus with the telescope. They seem to hold their sharpness year after year, so I never touch the diopters.
  • RAKing and donniesoprano like this

#10 Kim2010

Kim2010

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2024 - 10:32 AM

Am I alone in never focusing with my binoviewers? After initial set up, I just focus with the telescope. They seem to hold their sharpness year after year, so I never touch the diopters.

That means your eyes are in the same focus :) Mine seems not. One eye is in different focus than the other which is why I need the diopters adjusted.

#11 donniesoprano

donniesoprano

Viking 1

Posted 26 March 2024 - 10:47 AM

Yes, I rarely have to touch the diopters after having them 'zeroed out' for my eyes.  Occasionally at higher powers I may tweak it a little, but that's pretty much it.  Just like binoculars, you shouldn't have to adjust the diopters (if you're the only one using them) very often.

ds

#12 RAKing

RAKing

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern VA - West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 26 March 2024 - 12:27 PM

That means your eyes are in the same focus smile.gif Mine seems not. One eye is in different focus than the other which is why I need the diopters adjusted.

But you should only have to do that once.  Then the diopters should stay relatively stable for quite a while.

The reason you are noticing the extra shakes with your mount/tripod now is because of the extra heavy binoviewer placed out at the end of the telescope.  You are seeing the "barbell effect" and it's making your mount look worse than it is.

Cheers,

Ron

• Kim2010 likes this

#13 betacygni

betacygni

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 March 2024 - 12:28 PM

That means your eyes are in the same focus :) Mine seems not. One eye is in different focus than the other which is why I need the diopters adjusted.

You shouldn’t be needing to adjust the diopter between eyepieces. It should be set and forget unless you accidentally twist the diopter, or some of your eyepieces have poor quality control and don’t match each other.

#14 Kim2010

Kim2010

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2024 - 01:20 PM

Yup only once, but the Baader has no locking on the diopters and so it can be prone to accidental twisting sometimes.

• RAKing likes this

#15 RAKing

RAKing

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern VA - West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 27 March 2024 - 02:59 PM

Yup only once, but the Baader has no locking on the diopters and so it can be prone to accidental twisting sometimes.

I do like the little "nubs" that Baader put on the MB II diopter adjusters - as well as the tiny little focusing levers.  They should help you move the right part when you are changing eyepieces.

My Mark V BV doesn't have these newer pieces - and the top piece that locks the eyepiece is thinner and harder to grab (see below).  So I have learned to simply grab the whole top "collection" when I am loosening or tightening eyepieces.  By doing it this way, I am trying to move the diopter back and forth along with the eyepiece locking collar, so both pieces end up in the same place they started.  It must be working okay, because I have not had to readjust anything for the past six months.  lol.gif

Ron

TSA-120 Baader VB.JPG

• Kim2010 likes this

#16 betacygni

betacygni

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 March 2024 - 06:22 PM

Just occurred to me you could probably use a pencil or some other semi permanent way to mark a line on the diopter, so if it accidentally changes you can find the right setting again without having to look through it and focus. Sort of like some binoculars having hash marks for the diopter (though in your case 1 line across would be likely sufficient).

Edited by betacygni, 27 March 2024 - 06:23 PM.

• RAKing, cahanc and Kim2010 like this

#17 cahanc

cahanc

Mariner 2

• Loc: Berkeley, CA

Posted 10 April 2024 - 05:35 PM

I see your point smile.gif

For my normal usage though (EAA and visual), the EQ5Pro doesn't give me the shakes, but I guess that extra Heavy (with a capital H!) BV and 2 EPs makes it less than optimal. Yup. I will surely be getting a sturdier mount and tripod though not for now. I did not anticipate that the BV would bring the mount to its knees as far as shaking when touched! Any short term things I can try would be nice though. But yeah, the introduction of the BV got the payload a bit too much I guess LOL

I am thinking maybe the AM5 in a few years' time? 

Look for ways to make what you currently use less shaky.  You can hang weight off the mount in center of tripod or make some kind of platform that connects all 3 legs.  This is often what eyepiece trays do as well as hold eyepieces.  Make sure everything is tightened up as it should be, not too tight!  If all else fails and you have a way to do it you can install some kind of concrete or concrete/steel pier in your yard.  Installing a concrete pier was the single biggest improvement I have ever done for observing bar none, it was a total game changer, at least for me.  It isn't that difficult to do and there are plenty of different designs and cost points to choose from.

#18 faackanders2

faackanders2

Cosmos

Posted 14 April 2024 - 02:11 PM

after you focus each eye individually you can just use telescope focuser (even if you have power switches for different powers).

This is why I don't do binoviewing with H-alpha scope ant more.  Add H-Alpha tuning with telescope focuser for power switches, plus potentially having to refund sun and it is way too fatiguing.

Edited by faackanders2, 14 April 2024 - 02:11 PM.

#19 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Voyager 1

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 14 April 2024 - 02:17 PM

Thomas had good advice. If a better mount isn't in the cards, try a set of vibration suppression pads. 

FWIW, one of the greatest benefits of my cataract surgery last year is that I no longer need diopter adjustments on my binoviewer. Both eyes now focus at exactly the same distance. 

• RAKing likes this

#20 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 April 2024 - 01:30 PM

I actually struggle focusing both eyes by first focusing the scope for one eye. The reason is if I close one eye, the eye that's still open actually starts changing its focus on me. It's strange, but the focus point of one eye is DIFFERENT if both eyes are open vs just that one eye being open. I find that focus is an iterative process in binoviewers for me.

• betacygni likes this

#21 betacygni

betacygni

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 April 2024 - 01:47 PM

I actually struggle focusing both eyes by first focusing the scope for one eye. The reason is if I close one eye, the eye that's still open actually starts changing its focus on me. It's strange, but the focus point of one eye is DIFFERENT if both eyes are open vs just that one eye being open. I find that focus is an iterative process in binoviewers for me.

I have the same issue, to solve it rather than closing one eye I’ll just move my head so the second eye is out of line with the other eyepiece, both eyes open.

I also find it a bit easier to find perfect focus on the moon, I’ll take advantage of when it’s up to double check my diopters.
  • CrazyPanda likes this

#22 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 April 2024 - 02:35 PM

Sounds like a great trick. I'll have to try that tonight on the Moon.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics