•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ian Ridpath's Books

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pugliano

pugliano

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 31 March 2024 - 11:42 PM

I'm looking for a book that covers each constellation individually, has a diagram of the constellation, and that shows the locations of some of the more interesting objects to observe in each constellation, including doubles. I've seen Ian Ridpath's Princeton Field Guides "Stars & Planets" mentioned, and it is 400 pages. I also noticed there is his DK Handbooks "Stars & Planets", published in the same year, but it has 226 pages. Both books appear to be the same size, roughly 6 x 8.

Can anyone explain the large discrepency in the number of pages? I'd like to get the book that has the largest font and maps. Anyone have either of these?

#2 RichA

RichA

Voyager 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 01 April 2024 - 02:43 AM

I'm looking for a book that covers each constellation individually, has a diagram of the constellation, and that shows the locations of some of the more interesting objects to observe in each constellation, including doubles. I've seen Ian Ridpath's Princeton Field Guides "Stars & Planets" mentioned, and it is 400 pages. I also noticed there is his DK Handbooks "Stars & Planets", published in the same year, but it has 226 pages. Both books appear to be the same size, roughly 6 x 8.

Can anyone explain the large discrepency in the number of pages? I'd like to get the book that has the largest font and maps. Anyone have either of these?

DK produces fake "!/2 price" coffee table books for dying books chains to flog.  The Ridpath book is  the real thing.

Edited by RichA, 01 April 2024 - 02:43 AM.

• pugliano likes this

#3 pugliano

pugliano

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 April 2024 - 09:07 AM

DK produces fake "!/2 price" coffee table books for dying books chains to flog.  The Ridpath book is  the real thing.

Not sure what you mean though. Are you saying the Ridpath DK book is the real thing, or the Ridpath Princeton Field Guide book?

Why does the DK version have nearly half as many pages? Are the books the same content?

#4 JohnFlannery  Happy Birthday!

JohnFlannery

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Posted 01 April 2024 - 03:50 PM

Not sure what you mean though. Are you saying the Ridpath DK book is the real thing, or the Ridpath Princeton Field Guide book?

Why does the DK version have nearly half as many pages? Are the books the same content?

I think the DK book has a smaller constellation chart on the same page as the text. The other book has the constellation info on one page and the chart on the facing page. I was thinking of getting the Field Guide but the charts were no more detailed than a pocket-sized Collins GEM Guide book called “Stars” which Ian also authored: http://www.ianridpat...s/gemstars.html and http://www.ianridpath.com/cv/booklist.html

Edited by JohnFlannery, 01 April 2024 - 03:51 PM.

• pugliano likes this

#5 pugliano

pugliano

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 April 2024 - 04:42 PM

I think the DK book has a smaller constellation chart on the same page as the text. The other book has the constellation info on one page and the chart on the facing page. I was thinking of getting the Field Guide but the charts were no more detailed than a pocket-sized Collins GEM Guide book called “Stars” which Ian also authored: http://www.ianridpat...s/gemstars.html and http://www.ianridpath.com/cv/booklist.html

Thanks for that. Very helpful! I appreciate it.

#6 BrentKnight

BrentKnight

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 02 April 2024 - 12:48 AM

You might also be interested in John Sanford's Observing the Constellations.  Or Robert and Barbara Thompson's Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders.

Ian also wrote a great book about the constellations themselves called Star Tales.  Also...check out his companion website for that book.

• pugliano likes this

#7 The Ardent

The Ardent

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 02 April 2024 - 01:14 AM

I love the Ridpath “Stars and Planets” Princeton 2001 out of all the field guides .

https://www.abebooks...-0691089132/plp

The next step up is NSOG.

Stars and Planets fits in the car glovebox or large winter coat pocket for convenience.

Edited by The Ardent, 02 April 2024 - 01:15 AM.

• pugliano and jcj380 like this

#8 pugliano

pugliano

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 April 2024 - 09:10 AM

You might also be interested in John Sanford's Observing the Constellations.  Or Robert and Barbara Thompson's Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders.

Ian also wrote a great book about the constellations themselves called Star Tales.  Also...check out his companion website for that book.

Thanks. Just ordered a new copy of Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders. Seems to be exactly what I was looking for!

Edited to add I found a "like new" copy of "Observing the Constellations" for $7, so I ordered that one too. :)

Edited by pugliano, 02 April 2024 - 09:25 AM.

• BrentKnight likes this

#9 jcj380

jcj380

Skylab

• Loc: Out in the night, in the whispering breezes

Posted 04 April 2024 - 01:56 PM

I love the Ridpath “Stars and Planets” Princeton 2001 out of all the field guides .

waytogo.gif   I do wish the format or printing was a tad larger though.  

• pugliano likes this

#10 Foc

Foc

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 04 April 2024 - 11:39 PM

My favourite was the Ridparh Stars and Planets, which I thought was published about 2008, which featured a monthly guide to what major objects are visible in each hemisphere ( listed opposition's in the book itself..although now of course outdated) and was full of pictures that make me feel much happier with my recent DSO and planetary. images. I liked the size.. it was quite suited as a travel in backpack book, while my more authoritative books stay on the shelf.
  • pugliano likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics