•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2024 Okie-Tex Star Party!

Star Party Outreach Observing
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sdmacdonald

sdmacdonald

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 01 April 2024 - 08:45 AM

Registration for the 41st Okie-Tex Star Party is officially open!

For those who might not know me yet, my name is Danny MacDonald, and I'm stepping in as the new chairperson for Mike & Larry this year. If you've ever been to a talk at an Okie-Tex, you've seen me frantically running around trying to get everything to work. For some reason, they put me in charge of the whole thing. Just because I'm new to this role though doesn't mean Okie-Tex is any different. Everyone that used to do all the work is still around and attending, it mostly just means there's a different name signing the checks to rent the port-a-potties.

We are still nailing down our speaker schedule, but if you're an astrophotographer we do have Jon Talbot back for another two-day PixInsight session. This year, Jon is doing more of a beginner session. So if you're new to taking deep sky photos, or if you want to see how a master uses PixInsight, it's definitely worth signing up for.

As always, Okie-Tex is a place known for incredible skies, fantastic talks, and a wonderful community of people that I look forward to seeing every year.

If you've never been, we are located right on the very edge of the Oklahoma panhandle at Camp Billy Joe campground, just a few miles from Black Mesa State Park. We might be in a remote location, but we have wireless internet, clean bathrooms with showers, catered meals, bunkhouses, and all sorts of other stuff to make 9 days in the desert feel comfortable.

To register, visit https://www.okie-tex...egistration.php. Catered meals by Jody's Catering and a ticket to the PixInsight session are separate registrations, but it's all on that page. Let me know if you have any questions!

We hope to see you out in the 'Mesa. Thank you all!

• Joe F Gafford, kfiscus, SNH and 3 others like this

#2 kasprowy

kasprowy

Viking 1

• Loc: Chicago

Posted 01 April 2024 - 09:09 AM

Hi Danny - Thanks for your work on this, and everyone else involved. I attended in 2021 and 2022. I was going to attend last year but the weather forecast deterred me from making the 2100 mile round trip. Hoping the weather is great this year. As a neutral observer (no pun), I can attest that this is a fantastic event and location. Hot during the day, nice and cool, and the darkest skies I've ever seen, at night. Hoping to do this along with Nebraska Star Party this year.

• sdmacdonald and ABQJeff like this

#3 lwbehney

lwbehney

Apollo

Posted 01 April 2024 - 10:22 AM

What is the elevation above sea level at your Okie-Tex site?

#4 sdmacdonald

sdmacdonald

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 01 April 2024 - 11:29 AM

About 4500ft above sea level, give or take. Black Mesa itself is ~5k.

#5 Tinker

Tinker

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Stillwater OK

Posted 10 April 2024 - 08:22 PM

High enough to get a serious sunburn in late September if you aren't wearing sunscreen!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Star Party, Outreach, Observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics