•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron wifi dongle loose

Equipment Celestron SCT
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 revbarryb

revbarryb

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 April 2024 - 07:25 PM

Is anyone using Celestron's  SkyPortal wifi adapter having issues with the thing being LOOSE in the AUX port on their scope base? On my 8 SE it is just plain LOOSE and will connect of I hold the dang thins uprights--but when I let go of it it "sags" forward and disconnects. This seems like some pretty bad design or manufacture! Any advice?

off.jpg

on.jpg

#2 Paul Skee

Paul Skee

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orange County, CA (near Disneyland)

Posted 01 April 2024 - 07:45 PM

Check to see if the clear tab is missing. That's what locks it into the socket.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0234.jpeg

#3 revbarryb

revbarryb

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 April 2024 - 07:13 AM

The tab is ok and it locks into place...it just "wobbles" enough that it looses connection. But if I pull it back it reconnects fine and I can run the scope with SkyPortal... unless I let go of the adapter again. Just plain weird!

#4 mlord

mlord

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 02 April 2024 - 07:41 AM

if I pull it back it reconnects fine and I can run the scope with SkyPortal... unless I let go of the adapter again. Just plain weird!

So, three possibilities here:

1. One of the contacts inside the mount's jack has popped out of position.  Visually inspect the jack to ensure that the six contacts are all equally spaced and aligned with one another.
  2. Loose solder joint or connection at the jack inside the mount.  Inspection requires opening up that part of the mount to gain access to the underside of the connector.
  3. Bad crimp on the RJ12 plug of the WiFi Dongle, or bad wire in the dongle.  Difficult to inspect, just return it if under warranty.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Celestron, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics