•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comet 12P/Pons Brooks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Palm Springs, CA US

Posted 02 April 2024 - 01:51 PM

I finally had a chance to see this cometary interloper last night from Twentynine Palms CA where I had an unobstructed view to the west/northwest.  I must say I was very pleasantly surprised at its appearance.  As the sky darkened more of the comet's tail became visible.  So to this observer the "tail" seemed to be composed of a central, narrow and nicely defined brighter region surrounded by a much dimmer glow that took on the fanlike shape of a guppy's tail.  This was visible with averted vision as well as (though not as clear) direct vision.  There were some hints of streaking in the tail as well.  Such a shame that the turbulence of the horizon degraded the image even before this little gem set.  Ah well, I got to see it!!

Thanks for looking and clear skies,

Randolph

comet pons brooksb.jpg

• Special Ed, Sol Robbins, Jeremy Perez and 16 others like this

#2 JMSchwartz

JMSchwartz

Viking 1

• Loc: Simi Valley California 93065

Posted 02 April 2024 - 05:42 PM

Randolf , beautiful  work I have really  struggled to get a good look at this comet mainly weather and a low horizon.

CSS Jon 

• Randolph Jay likes this

#3 frank5817

frank5817

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 02 April 2024 - 06:02 PM

Randolph,

That is a very fine catch of comet 12P/ Pons Brooks. I made several attemps to catch it but thwarted by cloud cover.

Very nice to see all the fine sketches here at the sketching forum. This one is really a beauty.

Frank :)

#4 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 03 April 2024 - 10:05 AM

Randolph,

Very nice sketch of Comet 12P/Pons Brooks smile.gif .

CDS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics