•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

question about a refractor on amazon

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 donald41

donald41

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 03 April 2024 - 08:52 AM

looking for a small refractor as a get and go for those days when I'm not in the mood to pull out big boy. nothing really expensive, just a small achromatic like 90mm or 100mm. looking on amazon and came across this scope, svbony 90 mm f 5.5 for $299.99. fine adjustments on the focuser, holding rings and looks well built. wondering if anyone purchased this scope or have any experience using it. thanks, don

#2 RodgerDodger008

RodgerDodger008

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, Australia

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:10 AM

I think edit your title if you still can or make a new post and have the title as svbony and the model to get more replies.

I dont own this scope but lots of members buy svbony bits and bobs. All my filters for example are svbony. Their stuff is not bad generally.

Edited by RodgerDodger008, 03 April 2024 - 09:11 AM.

#3 Nemo51

Nemo51

Viking 1

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:11 AM

I have no opinion about the scope, but I did have a terrible warranty experience. 

Edited by Nemo51, 03 April 2024 - 09:12 AM.

#4 Dave Novoselsky

Dave Novoselsky

Apollo

• Loc: SE Wisconsin/Chicago

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:21 AM

The consensus at this forum is that this brand of telescope can either be very good or if there is a problem difficult to get the manufacturer to correct the problem or even recognize it exists. However, I can speak from personal experience, I have purchased some products made by this company through Amazon and when there is an issue, you can get around any problems from the manufacturer by simply returning it to Amazon, who stands behind their return policy and will refund your money. No questions asked.

In other words, it’s pretty much hit or miss, but if you’re buying through Amazon, you are probably safe . 

• SporadicGazer likes this

#5 SporadicGazer

SporadicGazer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:25 AM

looking for a small refractor as a get and go for those days when I'm not in the mood to pull out big boy. nothing really expensive, just a small achromatic like 90mm or 100mm. looking on amazon and came across this scope, svbony 90 mm f 5.5 for $299.99. fine adjustments on the focuser, holding rings and looks well built. wondering if anyone purchased this scope or have any experience using it. thanks, don

It has... mixed reviews.  I think mostly positive, but some have had issues especially with the focuser not being well adjusted.  Also realize it is a bare OTA, so you need to add mount, diagonal, and EPs.

BTW- search can be your friend... a few examples of where the Svbony SV48P 90mm has been discussed:

https://www.cloudyni...eview/?hl=sv48p

https://www.cloudyni...sv48p/?hl=sv48p

https://www.cloudyni...ease/?hl= sv48p

one of many options discussed in this (extra-long) thread:

https://www.cloudyni...p#entry13177706

#6 hyiger

hyiger

Aurora

• Loc: East Bay, CA

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:27 AM

Buy it, take it out the box immediately and try it out. Amazon has a (more or less) no questions return policy of 30 days and if you are a prime member, up to 3 months for most stuff. If there are obviously mechanical issues or the lens are out of alignment then just return it for a replacement. 

Edited by hyiger, 03 April 2024 - 12:22 PM.

• Cbaxter likes this

#7 RichA

RichA

Voyager 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:43 AM

It's going to have about the same color error (maybe a bit more) as an Orion ST80 so it'll be limited to powers in the 80x region, perhaps less.

#8 Echolight

Echolight

Voyager 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:54 AM

I bought the Skywatcher StarTravel 102 instead.

Yeah, there's CA at high power. But I still use it up to 156x on the Moon and planets. 

In spite of the ST80 being listed in a more favorable position on the CA chart, the StarTravel 102 shows way more detail.

A real nice widefield scope with a 20 Hyperwide or 28 PWA/UWA.

https://www.firstlig...l-102t-ota.html

Edited by Echolight, 03 April 2024 - 09:54 AM.

#9 Anony

Anony

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 03 April 2024 - 10:24 AM

I think the 48p has been well reviewed, except that many have to adjust the focuser afterwards. If you get one, don't overlook the $50 coupon (you need to click it). Think it's been a bit cheaper, maybe $220ish from time to time, but $250 may be around normal.

If wanting cheaper w/ mount, I recently picked up a DX102 from Amazon warehouse (currently $153ish):

https://www.amazon.c...deals,81&sr=8-3

Can't say how the one you get will be, but 'acceptable' in my case meant like new. Only sign of use really were some minor marks on the dovetail. Being Amazon, if you get a bad one, you can always return it.

I also got it a bit cheaper by doing the CC offer ($60) off which came up for me when on the site ... may be more or less for others, and guess it's only worth it if you actually want the card. But figured I'd mention it.

Edited by Anony, 03 April 2024 - 10:28 AM.

• Echolight likes this

#10 dmgriff

dmgriff

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 30 degrees latitude, USA

Posted 03 April 2024 - 10:29 AM

Svbony SV48P.

I have one. Metal ota, focuser. The 2in rotating R&P focuser is jerky on the coarse adjustment knob use. I tried to adjust the 3 sets of 2 screws on the focuser that set the tension on the drawtube. Still jerky in the coarse adjustment. The fine focus knob is OK. I just use that knob for all focusing. Nice scope otherwise, especially for the price. Mine was ~210usd with tax, shipped. Price changes regularly and Amazon credit offers, etc. With a 2in diagonal you will not have a lot of draw on the tube. Generally satisfied with the scope for my visual usage.

Good viewing,

Dave

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#11 donald41

donald41

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 03 April 2024 - 01:34 PM

acholight, is that a company in England. the price is not us dollars. i looked for that scope here in the usa but the ones that i found was with a tripod. if i purchase one it would have to be telescope only. that might be the refractor i need. thanks, don

#12 Echolight

Echolight

Voyager 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 03 April 2024 - 03:20 PM

acholight, is that a company in England. the price is not us dollars. i looked for that scope here in the usa but the ones that i found was with a tripod. if i purchase one it would have to be telescope only. that might be the refractor i need. thanks, don

Yeah. Firstlight Optics is in the UK.

But many here in the US have ordered from them. The exchange rate is pretty low, and they knock off some tax. So after conversion and freight, it comes out to $284, roughly. Looks like the exchange rate went up a bit recently.

But it does come with a Vixen dovetail. The US version with AZ3 mount does not include a dovetail.

Edited by Echolight, 03 April 2024 - 03:25 PM.

#13 RichA

RichA

Voyager 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 03 April 2024 - 03:41 PM

I bought the Skywatcher StarTravel 102 instead.

Yeah, there's CA at high power. But I still use it up to 156x on the Moon and planets. 

In spite of the ST80 being listed in a more favorable position on the CA chart, the StarTravel 102 shows way more detail.

A real nice widefield scope with a 20 Hyperwide or 28 PWA/UWA.

https://www.firstlig...l-102t-ota.html

The real weaknesses of these scopes are usually the mounts.

#14 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 05 April 2024 - 04:13 AM

Svbony SV48P.

I have one. Metal ota, focuser. The 2in rotating R&P focuser is jerky on the coarse adjustment knob use. I tried to adjust the 3 sets of 2 screws on the focuser that set the tension on the drawtube. Still jerky in the coarse adjustment. The fine focus knob is OK. I just use that knob for all focusing. Nice scope otherwise, especially for the price. Mine was ~210usd with tax, shipped. Price changes regularly and Amazon credit offers, etc. With a 2in diagonal you will not have a lot of draw on the tube. Generally satisfied with the scope for my visual usage.

Good viewing,

Dave

:waytogo:

As has been said, there is a long thread on this scope.  It's fast achromat so there is significant chromatic aberration at higher powers, it's best as a low power wide field scope.  The focuser can be problematical but it is better than most achromats and it can be tweaked so it is quite good.  

Waiting for a sale can save money, if one can find it for $220, its a good value, at $300, a used AT-80ED or adding a little money and buying a new AT-80ED is probably wiser.

I do like the build, the sliding dew shield, the rings with dovetail and the rotating 2 speed focuser, the two speed itself is solid.. 

Svbony 48P Dovetail shift.jpg

Jon

• stevew, Cbaxter and hyiger like this

#15 Chris1485

Chris1485

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: U.K.

Posted 05 April 2024 - 02:29 PM

I had the Opticstar (UK company) version of this a few years ago and it was awful.  My ST80 I had at the time beat it.

Couldn't get a sharp focus above about x50 and a lot of CA..

#16 Dave Novoselsky

Dave Novoselsky

Apollo

• Loc: SE Wisconsin/Chicago

Posted 05 April 2024 - 03:11 PM

Yeah. Firstlight Optics is in the UK.

But many here in the US have ordered from them. The exchange rate is pretty low, and they knock off some tax. So after conversion and freight, it comes out to $284, roughly. Looks like the exchange rate went up a bit recently.

But it does come with a Vixen dovetail. The US version with AZ3 mount does not include a dovetail.

The current euro rate is slightly better than the current dollar to pound rate. You can usually get pretty much the same stuff through Telescope Express who is also a reliable dealer and ships quickly and well packed through good delivery sources. At the same time I don’t think anyone is as good on. Customer support is FLO

Edited by Dave Novoselsky, 05 April 2024 - 03:12 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics