•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Close Encounter of the Moon & the 7 sisters

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JMSchwartz

JMSchwartz

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Simi Valley California 93065

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:23 AM

On the night of March 14th at 8:00 pm I experienced one of the most amazing views which left me awe strickened.The seeing conditions were some of the Best I have had from my home in Simi valley California.The reason for this was that several atmospheric rivers had consecutively passed through the southern California area proceeded by a severe Santa Ana wind event with wind speeds gusting up to 80 mph for 2 consecutive days at the end of the second day it miraculously shut off presenting some of the best seeing with the most incredibly transparent skies with very tack sharp and steady seeing I have experienced from my location  in several years .I confirmed this when I was floored turning my Fujinon 16x70 binoculars to the close encounter of the Moon paired with the 7 Sisters , I  can't express enough in words  how spectacular this view was so immediately I turned my  superb 12 1/2" portaball with one of the best Mirrors in my collection a stunning  f-4.3  Zambuto primary with a custom  barn door tracking platform  furnished by Tom Osapowski of Equatorial platforms. Eyepieces used were the 35 mm. Panoptic ,the 21 mm. Ethos ,& my Favorite the 17mm Nikon Nav.This view had validated the spectacular conditions the 7 sisters were now 100 sisters with tack sharp pinpoint stars the brightest exhibiting diffraction rings in & out of focus and even a beautiful hint of color with a tad of nebulosity ,this was amazing to me considering the moonlight from the small crescent was blinding in the 12 1/2".This was sketched using Procreate on my Ipad Pro using several of the brush selections provided by Procreate I also used a cell phone snapshot of the Pleiades to get the proper placement of the fainter stars as i only had enough time to record the 7 most prominent stars before it set.I used the side by side mode with the grid overlay to get the stars perfectly placed keeping the magnitudes limited to  7.1 which most perfectly resembled the best view of this through the Fujinon 16x70's. Finished in Photoshop Express adjusting levels and adding text. 

Thanks for looking 

Clear Skies always Jon 

Attached Thumbnails

• PSX_20240325_162910.jpg

Edited by JMSchwartz, 03 April 2024 - 09:31 AM.

• frank5817, Astrojensen, Jef De Wit and 29 others like this

#2 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:54 AM

Jon,

Very nice sketch of The Close Encounter of the Moon & the 7 sisters smile.gif .

CDS,LKU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#3 mwgarrett

mwgarrett

Explorer 1

• Loc: So Calif

Posted 04 April 2024 - 10:43 AM

Jon,

This is a very close representation of what I saw through my Fujinon Binos the same night.

You have a very keen eye my friend.

CS

Mike

#4 AGrayson

AGrayson

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia beach, Virginia

Posted 04 April 2024 - 10:56 AM

Very similar to my view in 10x50s as well, just a little more zoomed in

Great sketch, one can only hope for such conditions!

#5 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Palm Springs, CA US

Posted 04 April 2024 - 03:54 PM

Exquisite work!
Randolph

#6 bphaneuf

bphaneuf

Surveyor 1

• Loc: GHRO: Lat: 34.696; Lon: -80.537

Posted 04 April 2024 - 04:15 PM

Just when I'm ready to curse the moon again you regal us with it's beauty and the wonderful connection with something many light years away.  Gorgeous rendering as always Jon.  Thanks for a few moments of calm reflection.

-b

#7 *man

*man

Lift Off

• Loc: Northridge, CA

Posted 04 April 2024 - 04:39 PM

Jon's sketch of the Pleiades, commonly known as the Seven Sisters, against the backdrop of the subtle moon, is nothing short of mesmerizing.  The contrast between the ethereal star cluster and the delicate lunar glow is captured with such precision that it feels like gazing into the depths of the cosmos itself.  Jon's keen eye for detail and unique artistry shines through in this one-of-a-kind cosmic piece.  It's not just a work of art; it's a complimentary rare piece, bordering on the heavenly divine.  Each stroke of the pencil seems to breathe life into the celestial bodies, making you feel as though you could reach out and touch the stars dimensionally.  In a word: uncanny.

Clear skies, keep looking up!

Chris

#8 nof

nof

Viking 1

• Loc: Israel

Posted 09 April 2024 - 08:11 AM

That is a fine sight and a very well made sketch Jon.

#9 Procyon Lotor

Procyon Lotor

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 April 2024 - 09:40 AM

Lovely work!

#10 JMSchwartz

JMSchwartz

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Simi Valley California 93065

Posted 23 April 2024 - 07:20 AM

Thank you everyone  for your kind comments and all of the likes, it was such a  pleasure to share this magical  moment with all of you as I was in awe of this event the universe has provided us ,we are truly blessed  to witness these glorious views and to have the consciousness to realize how special this gift of life we have all been given .

Kindest Regards Jon

Edited by JMSchwartz, 23 April 2024 - 07:22 AM.

• AGrayson likes this

#11 AGrayson

AGrayson

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia beach, Virginia

Posted 23 April 2024 - 03:39 PM

Well said, Jon!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics