•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I am stressed out over this event!

76 replies to this topic

#1 WillR

WillR

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Stroudsburg, PA

Posted 03 April 2024 - 01:18 PM

I can't believe the amount of stress I am feeling over this up coming eclipse. I wonder if I am not alone.

We spent a lot of money to get our selves to Austin, which may be in vain. We booked everything more than a year ago. What to do? My partner can't do a long road trip in the car due to lingering health issues. I will have to go with her decision about how we proceed. She already thinks that the eclipse is more important to me than her. I am trying to resign myself that I may miss it altogether.

It's like booking a trip to the Olympics without knowing if the Olympics will even be run until you get there. And it will be the last Olympics, very likely, in your lifetime, and your heart is set on it. I will be 95 when the next total eclipse rolls around here. So if I miss this one, I may be saving up for a trip to North Africa in 2027!

Anyway, I had no idea I had invested so much emotionally into this until this last week. It's hard to concentrate. I'm not sleeping well. My stomach seems to be permanently in knots. I'm trying not to look at the weather forecasts yet. A part of me is looking forward to when it's all over.

I just finished reading American Eclipse by David Baron ( wonderful book!), and now I have an inkling of what these professional astronomers who traveled by train across the country with all their gear ( It was 1878), not knowing  if they would even get to observe it.

Thanks for letting me unburden myself! How about the rest of you? How is everyone coping?

Edited by WillR, 03 April 2024 - 01:22 PM.

• scottinash, swsantos, Joe F Gafford and 11 others like this

#2 zman2100

zman2100

Vostok 1

• Loc: Jacksonville, FL

Posted 03 April 2024 - 01:26 PM

I'll be in Austin too. Flying on Friday with my pregnant wife and my 3-yr old and 6-month old. At this point, the models are still all over the place and given that I am inflexible in my plans due to my traveling party, I've taken the attitude that it is what it is. At this point I've resigned myself to the fact that it's ultimately very much out of my control and whether it's cloudy or not, we at least will experience darkness in daytime. We also are treating it like a semi-vacation as we are getting to stay with college friends for free and will be exploring Austin with them before and after, but the point of the trip still is primarily to see the eclipse.

I say that to say two things: one, we are still five days out and as such, cloud coverage models for spring in Texas are a crapshoot at this stage. I won't be putting much stock in them until the weekend runs. And two: control what you can control and don't worry about what you can't, and try to enjoy your time before and after the event by doing some fun things around Austin.

• Echolight and WillR like this

#3 Starhunter249

Starhunter249

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 April 2024 - 01:29 PM

I guess it goes back to the old saying, don't stress about things you can not control. I am completely accepted that fact since the last eclipse in 2017. I was much more limited then in how far I can go to get to good weather and was condemned to stay in southern illinois. I was in Sparta Illinois. It was clouded out much in southern illinois. The mecca of the 2017 eclipse was in Carbondale and it was clouded out and we got lucky with clear skies in Sparta, which is only 50 miles north of Carbondale. The skies were hazy actually, not crystal clear, before the eclipse started and then 30 minutes after the eclipse ended, storm rolled in and was pouring rain everywhere. You can be surprised how you don't have to travel far to get better skies. That was 50 miles.

Edited by Starhunter249, 03 April 2024 - 01:31 PM.

• kasprowy likes this

#4 gjanke

gjanke

Viking 1

Posted 03 April 2024 - 01:45 PM

In 2017 I was in Andrews SC it was a hard down pour when the solar eclipse started. I told m kids you might not see the eclipse but you'll see the sky go dark and that will be cool too. As totality was about to start I jumped in the car and headed east for about 10 minutes got out of the car set up the telescope and proceeded to watch. It didn't look good but just before totality the skies cleared and my family and I got all 2:01 which was predicted. 

Don't worry about every single person in the path of totality is feeling the same thing you are and you aren't alone. So go have fun, know you might have to settle for just dark skies instead of a disc covered by the moon.  Know, so long as you're in the path the possibility exists you'll get to see it. So take heart.

Good Luck

#5 gwhphoto

gwhphoto

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 April 2024 - 01:49 PM

I agree, think of it as excitement and not stress.

My wife and I are in Mazatlan, so no changing plans now!

But, there are roads inland that follow the exact path of totality for over 600 miles.   So we have a lot of options to look for clearer skies depending on what the final models show on Sunday morning.

I just keep repeating, no stress, it's only excitement . . . . . 

• TiSaph likes this

#6 kasprowy

kasprowy

Viking 1

• Loc: Chicago

Posted 03 April 2024 - 01:52 PM

I guess it goes back to the old saying, don't stress about things you can not control. I am completely accepted that fact since the last eclipse in 2017. I was much more limited then in how far I can go to get to good weather and was condemned to stay in southern illinois. I was in Sparta Illinois. It was clouded out much in southern illinois. The mecca of the 2017 eclipse was in Carbondale and it was clouded out and we got lucky with clear skies in Sparta, which is only 50 miles north of Carbondale. The skies were hazy actually, not crystal clear, before the eclipse started and then 30 minutes after the eclipse ended, storm rolled in and was pouring rain everywhere. You can be surprised how you don't have to travel far to get better skies. That was 50 miles.

I was in Sparta at the World Shooting Complex in 2017, and will be in the same campsite come Sunday. Yes, Carbondale was mostly cloudy, and in Sparta it was crystal clear. 

• Starhunter249 likes this

#7 Starhunter249

Starhunter249

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 April 2024 - 02:28 PM

I was in Sparta at the World Shooting Complex in 2017, and will be in the same campsite come Sunday. Yes, Carbondale was mostly cloudy, and in Sparta it was crystal clear. 

Wow, that's exactly where I was too!

#8 emh52

emh52

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson Arizona

Posted 03 April 2024 - 02:44 PM

It will be what it will be, sometimes things change quickly to grace us with a view. In 2010 I was on Easter Island, in the midst of a huge downpour 2 hours out, and then it cleared, we had a great a view, 2013 at Lake Turkana Kenya, where the weather was predicted on history to be perfect, had a sandstorm, this was a mere 11 second eclipse, a small group of us took the air and flew above the storm saw it, but most just saw the world turn dark. 2017, 2019, and 2023 had great conditions where I was, 2021 had covid, but my planned spot had rain even though it was predicted to be a good spot. I'll be in TX, right now to the east of the line it looks terrible, to the west is looks good (too far west), the line itself, iffy at best.. hoping for a good breeze to shift that line east out of the path. Time will tell and hope for the best, two years to next TSE.

• Alan D. Whitman likes this

#9 Daniel Dance

Daniel Dance

Vanguard

• Loc: Eastern United States

Posted 03 April 2024 - 03:29 PM

I can't believe the amount of stress I am feeling over this up coming eclipse. I wonder if I am not alone.

We spent a lot of money to get our selves to Austin, which may be in vain. We booked everything more than a year ago. What to do? My partner can't do a long road trip in the car due to lingering health issues. I will have to go with her decision about how we proceed. She already thinks that the eclipse is more important to me than her. I am trying to resign myself that I may miss it altogether.

It's like booking a trip to the Olympics without knowing if the Olympics will even be run until you get there. And it will be the last Olympics, very likely, in your lifetime, and your heart is set on it. I will be 95 when the next total eclipse rolls around here. So if I miss this one, I may be saving up for a trip to North Africa in 2027!

Anyway, I had no idea I had invested so much emotionally into this until this last week. It's hard to concentrate. I'm not sleeping well. My stomach seems to be permanently in knots. I'm trying not to look at the weather forecasts yet. A part of me is looking forward to when it's all over.

I just finished reading American Eclipse by David Baron ( wonderful book!), and now I have an inkling of what these professional astronomers who traveled by train across the country with all their gear ( It was 1878), not knowing  if they would even get to observe it.

Thanks for letting me unburden myself! How about the rest of you? How is everyone coping?

Dude!  Unburden yourself.

My original plan was Indianapolis at my wife's family's homes.  Forecast is partly cloudy.

We're going there regardless.

And know what - i'm not going to check the weather at all.  It will be what it will be and that is that. 

I feel so unburdened already.

• fiston and CreatorsHand like this

#10 WillR

WillR

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 03 April 2024 - 03:36 PM

Thanks, all. Your replies are a big help. It is what it is.

• havasman and gjanke like this

#11 Mike Q

Mike Q

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Monnett Ohio

Posted 03 April 2024 - 04:54 PM

No sense stressing over something that is completely beyond my control.  It wouldn't even be on my radar if it wasn't passing directly over me.

• Matt78 likes this

#12 dan_hm

dan_hm

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, NY

Posted 03 April 2024 - 06:37 PM

I’m feeling ok, perhaps because the centerline is fairly close this time around. In 2017 I was more stressed because it was a minimum 14 hour drive to totality. It ended up being a spectacular experience and I won’t be too upset if I don’t get to see it this year. Also, I just learned there’s a nice sunrise partial eclipse crossing my home location next March.

#13 Bubbagumps

Bubbagumps

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 April 2024 - 06:53 PM

It's natural to be anxious about something you have prepared for and looked forward to for so long. The forecasts have been negative but I wouldn't sweat it at the moment. In the Spring, it's hard enough to predict cloud cover on the following day let alone five-days out. Until we see the predictions released on Saturday, the forecasts are only rough guestimates based on current meteorological data fed into a computer that then plays a game of Texas Hold'em using the information as a starting point. What is released Saturday will tell us what we are likely to be dealing with. 

The eclipse is five days out. Keep in mind that just five days ago, the models showed a 90% chance for clear skies and the experts were telling everyone Texas is the best bet. Two days ago, that changed to a prediction of overcast with Thunderstorms during the day. Then that changed overnight to partly cloudy with a few showers. This time of year, small changes can greatly influence weather patterns over the short term.   A mouse passing gas has the potential to change the jet stream and clear all the clouds out.  smile.gif

#14 havasman

havasman

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 03 April 2024 - 06:58 PM

I have found it helpful to think how many humans have lived satisfying, happy lives w/o ever seeing a solar eclipse.

The variable here will be which clouds we get. The whether is pretty much settled and it's going to be at least partly cloudy with some likelihood of a hard deck.

I do feel for those who've had to travel and strategize.

If it's any condolence at all, there are some really fine breweries and distilleries and some well done wineries in and along the path of totality and they'll certainly let you cry in your beverage if you are feeling it.

• dan_hm and sanbai like this

#15 Chris K

Chris K

Apollo

• Loc: Long Island, Earth

Posted 03 April 2024 - 07:23 PM

I had booked my 2017 TSE trip two years in advance. I overdosed on weather websites starting 14 days out.

The forecasts never got better than mostly cloudy. Our extended family started teasing us that we were about to drive 12 hours to South Carolina and it's going to rain.

The night before the trip my wife and daughter wanted to back out.

My thought was, I'd rather go all the way there and miss it due to clouds than stay home and find out it was sunny.

We all ended up going and the day ended up being partly sunny with puffy white clouds.

With 11 minutes left before totality, a LONE puffy cloud parked directly in front of the sun! It sat there and sat there and sat there. We were observing from the parking lot of the hotel with the other hotel guests.

We decided to have fun and chant "move that cloud". About 30 seconds before totality, the cloud vanished like magic and we got to see the pure magic we hoped for.

Almost regrettable, but unforgettable. You gotta try.

• Matt Lindsey, Rich_W, dan_hm and 8 others like this

#16 WillR

WillR

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 03 April 2024 - 07:57 PM

I had booked my 2017 TSE trip two years in advance. I overdosed on weather websites starting 14 days out.

The forecasts never got better than mostly cloudy. Our extended family started teasing us that we were about to drive 12 hours to South Carolina and it's going to rain.

The night before the trip my wife and daughter wanted to back out.

My thought was, I'd rather go all the way there and miss it due to clouds than stay home and find out it was sunny.

We all ended up going and the day ended up being partly sunny with puffy white clouds.

With 11 minutes left before totality, a LONE puffy cloud parked directly in front of the sun! It sat there and sat there and sat there. We were observing from the parking lot of the hotel with the other hotel guests.

We decided to have fun and chant "move that cloud". About 30 seconds before totality, the cloud vanished like magic and we got to see the pure magic we hoped for.

Almost regrettable, but unforgettable. You gotta try.

Great post, Chris!

• Chris K likes this

#17 Rich_W

Rich_W

Messenger

• Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 03 April 2024 - 08:01 PM

I felt that kind of stress for the 2017 eclipse, which we saw in Tennessee. The worry about forgetting things, being in the wrong place, getting stuck in traffic and missing it, etc etc, chewed me up for days.  As it happened, we found a great site on a college campus, conditions were ideal and it was one of the best days of my life. 

Which comforts me for this one. I accepted a year ago that I shouldn't expect a repeat of 2017. We chose to be in Erie, so our son might be able to join us, and it looks like he will. I'm watching the weather but I'm not worried about it.  We made the best plan we could and all I can do now is get us there.  What happens then isn't up to me, which is fine. 

• Chris K and Alex Swartzinski like this

#18 ismosi

ismosi

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: New London Twp, Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 03 April 2024 - 08:11 PM

We started our drive (yes, I'm possibly nuts) from SE PA today. I'm writing this from our first stop in Knoxville. Tomorrow onto Little Rock, then ultimately Dripping Springs, TX. 

Just like 2017 I have no idea whether it will be clear, a total washout, or anywhere in between. We're treating this as an adventure; we'll have time for other activities, plus we'll be with family and friends -- come what may.

That's my attitude. 

• Rich_W, Alex Swartzinski and CreatorsHand like this

#19 dnrmilspec

dnrmilspec

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 03 April 2024 - 08:16 PM

So here is very cheap advice. 

You already said that your partner is less interested than you are.  I don't know how much time you have in Austin but why not plan a dream trip for her except for that marvelous hour of the eclipse.  Pick her favorite restaurant and best wine.    Her favorite museum/music.  Her favorite place to shop.  Go to the zoo if she is into animals.  You know what makes her happy, overdose on that.  Room service and breakfast in bed.  I assume, given that she can't ride in the car, you are flying. 

Then if the eclipse is a bust you have just done about the nicest thing someone could do for someone else.  Even if you cannot indulge your love for astronomy, you can indulge your love for her.  That is not to bad a deal after all, is it?

Edited by dnrmilspec, 03 April 2024 - 08:17 PM.

• Jeremy Perez, hdt, Larry Mc and 3 others like this

#20 aa6ww

aa6ww

Gemini

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 04 April 2024 - 09:52 AM

I would leave her at home and go enjoy this event without her.  

Personally, any spouse or gf should be happy that this is happening and should encourage you to go have your day.

-  Ralph

• Alan D. Whitman and Bubbagumps like this

#21 Classic8

Classic8

Apollo

• Loc: Naperville, IL, USA

Posted 04 April 2024 - 01:56 PM

It's natural to be anxious about something you have prepared for and looked forward to for so long. The forecasts have been negative but I wouldn't sweat it at the moment. In the Spring, it's hard enough to predict cloud cover on the following day let alone five-days out. Until we see the predictions released on Saturday, the forecasts are only rough guestimates based on current meteorological data fed into a computer that then plays a game of Texas Hold'em using the information as a starting point. What is released Saturday will tell us what we are likely to be dealing with. 

The eclipse is five days out. Keep in mind that just five days ago, the models showed a 90% chance for clear skies and the experts were telling everyone Texas is the best bet. Two days ago, that changed to a prediction of overcast with Thunderstorms during the day. Then that changed overnight to partly cloudy with a few showers. This time of year, small changes can greatly influence weather patterns over the short term.   A mouse passing gas has the potential to change the jet stream and clear all the clouds out.  smile.gif

In that case I'm setting out plates of beans for the local fauna to indulge.

• Bubbagumps likes this

#22 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 04 April 2024 - 02:34 PM

I would be in Jarrell, TX with relatives with at least minute more of totality (3' 24"). The Capitol building would have only one minute with less with the Bohemians on Congress street. My cousin's house has a better forecast in NW PA. But alas, My state's emissions requirement on my truck had me do expensive repairs that took away my travel money. Am I stressed? No. I've been to the one in 2017 and took good still and video images of that one. I'm 71 and been through the assorted malarkey before that cancelled trips and plans. Just last year I had to cut short my stay to the Okie-Tex star party last fall due to a water leak at my house my neighbor observed. That turned into a godsend as that leak was outside and the weather went foul after that at the site. I did get 3 nights beforehand as I was helping setting up the venue. I camped in rain-outs before. 

Joe

Edited by Joe F Gafford, 04 April 2024 - 02:36 PM.

#23 Jim4321

Jim4321

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Asheville

Posted 04 April 2024 - 02:52 PM

I know it's a far-distant 2nd best, but CNN and other networks are planning on having live coverage.  If it's cloudy, get to a TV set.   

Jim H. 

#24 jrussell

jrussell

Messenger

• Loc: DFW Texas

Posted 04 April 2024 - 03:04 PM

I'm stressing out too. Did over the annular last October as well and thought this one was going to be easy-peasy since I'm in Texas and totality will literally come to my front yard although I was going to be an hour and a half away for that glorious extra minute plus. BUT, now with all the forecasts I'm scrambling to come up with a new plan. Hey, I've only waited some 50 years to see a TSE so no big deal if I end up missing it right?

• bunyon and Matt78 like this

#25 WillR

WillR

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2024 - 03:06 PM

I know it's a far-distant 2nd best, but CNN and other networks are planning on having live coverage.  If it's cloudy, get to a TV set.   

Jim H. 

No, if it's cloudy, we will experience it with clouds. If I were going to watch it on TV, I'd stay home. 

• JimB1 likes this

Reply to this topic

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics