•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I am stressed out over this event!

76 replies to this topic

#51 Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: South Bend, Indiana, USA

Posted 06 April 2024 - 11:14 AM

The forecasts look good for my target. My car is packed and gassed up. I just need to make the 130 mile drive to the west side of Indy. The only stress I feel right now is worrying about whether or not Purdue wins tonight.

#52 Echolight

Echolight

Hubble

• Loc: Texas

Posted 06 April 2024 - 11:18 AM

We're doomed 

https://youtu.be/2Kv...pLl9WimA6IKPl-y

#53 Echolight

Echolight

Hubble

Posted 06 April 2024 - 11:20 AM

I heard the weather will be clear in Vermont.

#54 Echolight

Echolight

Hubble

Posted 06 April 2024 - 11:24 AM

The forecasts look good for my target. My car is packed and gassed up. I just need to make the 130 mile drive to the west side of Indy. The only stress I feel right now is worrying about whether or not Purdue wins tonight.

Burns is the one guy with the girth and skill to keep Edey from parking under the basket.

• bunyon likes this

#55 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Skylab

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 06 April 2024 - 11:27 AM

Will I hope you go. If you do go, anticipate a vacation and enjoy yourselves come what may.

My nephew and I will travel from NJ and southern NY north, destination unknown at this time, weather dependent.

He works on Sunday and we cannot leave until Sunday at 7PM. It will be an adventure, I hope we return home unscathed. Come what may.

I travelled to Wyoming in 2017 by Amtrack, perfectly clerar skies in Glendo Wyoming.

Clear Skies everyone!!

• Echolight likes this

#56 Echolight

Echolight

Hubble

Posted 06 April 2024 - 11:28 AM

I'm under the path of totality. And it's probably going to be cloudy. It seems galaxy season is mostly a bust every year here also.

#57 Echolight

Echolight

Hubble

Posted 06 April 2024 - 11:29 AM

Will I hope you go. If you do go, anticipate a vacation and enjoy yourselves come what may.

My nephew and I will travel from NJ and southern NY north, destination unknown at this time, weather dependent.

He works on Sunday and we cannot leave until Sunday at 7PM. It will be an adventure, I hope we return home unscathed. Come what may.

I travelled to Wyoming in 2017 by Amtrack, perfectly clerar skies in Glendo Wyoming.

Clear Skies everyone!!

An adventure! Awesome!

#58 Echolight

Echolight

Hubble

Posted 06 April 2024 - 11:36 AM

Austin fun fact. If you stand in the in  the center of the rotunda at the capital building, everyone can hear you speak.

https://www.yourbike...s-state-capitol

#59 JimB1

JimB1

Mariner 2

• Loc: Central NJ

Posted 06 April 2024 - 07:18 PM

Well, forecast for Monday here in Niagara Falls got worse and now they are saying showers :(

On the plus side, got some amazing pics of the falls today and going to Toronto tomorrow so that should be fun.

Hopefully the forecast changes again for the better…

#60 Jay6879

Jay6879

Apollo

Posted 06 April 2024 - 07:49 PM

Well, forecast for Monday here in Niagara Falls got worse and now they are saying showers frown.gif

On the plus side, got some amazing pics of the falls today and going to Toronto tomorrow so that should be fun.

Hopefully the forecast changes again for the better…

It's not good. This is a total bummer man.

#61 zman2100

zman2100

Vostok 1

• Loc: Jacksonville, FL

Posted 12 April 2024 - 01:38 PM

Sooo... what happened, Will? Did you get to see it?

• Matt Lindsey likes this

#62 gjanke

gjanke

Viking 1

Posted 12 April 2024 - 02:58 PM

For the most part everyone I know that went to see the eclipse got to see it in all its glory. 

All that hand wringing for not.

#63 WillR

WillR

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Stroudsburg, PA

Posted 12 April 2024 - 03:51 PM

We ended up going to Syracuse for a cloudy eclipse. I was looking at the sun in my 15 x 70s, less than a minute before 1st contact and watched a cloud roll in from the right. Everyone let out an audible groan.

The forecast in Austin was just too iffy for my partner, what with the long flights and all. Not to get personal, but she has lingering symptoms from Chemo that make sitting for extended periods difficult. And the forecast was good for Syracuse and bad for Texas when we decided on Friday. I don't even want to know if the skies cleared down there.

I could have taken my flight credit and flown to Montreal or Indianapolis. Or I could have driven to my cousin's in Vermont. But ultimately, everyone was right, this became much too important in my mind. I realized it was better to see what we saw together, than for me to go off without her. So no regrets. Disappointment, but I made the right decision.

Totality, even under the clouds was still a very cool experience. Here's what I wrote in my journal:

The difference between 99% and 100% is dramatic and the darkness descends fast! I have heard it compared to a lid being lowered over you. I would characterize it as a blanket of darkness, or maybe a snuffer being lowered and extinguishing a candle. Imagine the time between sunset and astronomical twilight, normally an hour or so, compressed into a minute or two. It was dramatic. The colors were unworldly. Deep violets and mauves surrounded us on all sides. The totality seemed to suspend time, and far from feeling short, it felt luxurious, like being swaddled in velvet.

Edited by WillR, 12 April 2024 - 03:54 PM.

• bunyon, SeymoreStars, dnrmilspec and 1 other like this

#64 WillR

WillR

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2024 - 03:54 PM

For the most part everyone I know that went to see the eclipse got to see it in all its glory. 

All that hand wringing for not.

Actually, that was not the case. Clouds in Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse. Not all its glory, but still worth it.

#65 Exeligmos

Exeligmos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 April 2024 - 02:02 AM

As much as I'm sad that the eclipse is over, I am also greatly relieved. Poring over those cloud forecasts for two weeks probably took a few years off my life.

• WillR and 41lat like this

#66 WillR

WillR

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2024 - 08:29 AM

As much as I'm sad that the eclipse is over, I am also greatly relieved. Poring over those cloud forecasts for two weeks probably took a few years off my life.

Exactly.

• gjanke and 41lat like this

#67 gjanke

gjanke

Viking 1

Posted 13 April 2024 - 09:24 AM

Actually, that was not the case. Clouds in Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse. Not all its glory, but still worth it.

Actually for me that wasn't the case. Everyone I know (friends), saw in all its glory. 

However, to be fair, there were so degree of clouds.

I have seen pictures and video from DFW, Missouri, Arkansas, plus me being in Ohio and it was nothing that prevented the eclipse from being seen during totality.

I have included a picture of my viewing and as you can see there are clouds but nothing that hindered the view. This picture is right before second contact.

Attached Thumbnails

• View recent photos.jpeg

#68 winstar

winstar

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tyler, Texas

Posted 13 April 2024 - 09:40 AM

Sense of relief here too, that we chose a good enough place in Southern IL and could relax and enjoy the show.

#69 WillR

WillR

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2024 - 09:46 AM

Actually for me that wasn't the case. Everyone I know (friends), saw in all its glory. 

However, to be fair, there were so degree of clouds.

I have seen pictures and video from DFW, Missouri, Arkansas, plus me being in Ohio and it was nothing that prevented the eclipse from being seen during totality.

I have included a picture of my viewing and as you can see there are clouds but nothing that hindered the view. This picture is right before second contact.

I'm very glad you got to see it. Thank you for clarifying "for me". Is that Venus, I guess? 

However I specifically mentioned three cities in NY. Here's a photo my step daughter took from Niagara Falls. Whether you realize it or not, your comment with "all that handwringing for naught" came across as a tad dismissive of anyone who had cloudy conditions. Or maybe you didn't realize there were clouds for many people. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0974.JPG

• gjanke likes this

#70 gjanke

gjanke

Viking 1

Posted 13 April 2024 - 10:17 AM

I'm very glad you got to see it. Thank you for clarifying "for me". Is that Venus, I guess? 

Whether you realize it or not, your comment with "all that handwringing for naught" came across as a tad dismissive of anyone who had cloudy conditions. Or maybe you didn't realize there were clouds for many people. 

Im not being dismissive I just dont know anyone that didn't see it. In fact, you're like the first person I have heard really state they didnt see it.

One bad thing did happen, I toasted my iPhone camera while taking pictures. Now i have permanent little dark round spot when I take pictures. 

Anyway, sorry it didnt workout for you.

• WillR likes this

#71 bunyon

bunyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 13 April 2024 - 10:17 AM

I think everyone got pretty lucky. Clouds move a little bit one way and much of the path could have been wiped out. I feel lucky, not smart, to have seen totality for a full four minutes. 

Since the Rochester area was on my list (family/friends in area), I definitely know lots of folks who were clouded out. Where I'd planned to be in Texas clouded out. My cousin in Texas didn't see it. 

But, like I say, a tiny shift in the line of clouds and most of us miss it.

#72 WillR

WillR

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2024 - 11:29 AM

Im not being dismissive I just dont know anyone that didn't see it. In fact, you're like the first person I have heard really state they didnt see it.

One bad thing did happen, I toasted my iPhone camera while taking pictures. Now i have permanent little dark round spot when I take pictures. 

Anyway, sorry it didnt workout for you.

Yikes, sorry about your phone!

• gjanke likes this

#73 Alex Swartzinski

Alex Swartzinski

Apollo

• Loc: Observing in Northern/Southern Michigan, USA

Posted 13 April 2024 - 12:25 PM

Totality, even under the clouds was still a very cool experience. Here's what I wrote in my journal:

The difference between 99% and 100% is dramatic and the darkness descends fast! I have heard it compared to a lid being lowered over you. I would characterize it as a blanket of darkness, or maybe a snuffer being lowered and extinguishing a candle. Imagine the time between sunset and astronomical twilight, normally an hour or so, compressed into a minute or two. It was dramatic. The colors were unworldly. Deep violets and mauves surrounded us on all sides. The totality seemed to suspend time, and far from feeling short, it felt luxurious, like being swaddled in velvet.

Even though things didn't go perfectly, you experienced a rare and unique event with a person you care about. 

Totality was amazing, but the adventure of leaving my routine to hangout in a random park with my Dad was one of the best parts. You may not have glimpsed the full eclipse, but it sounds like you still had a great adventure and saw something new.

Great job! 

Edited by Alex Swartzinski, 13 April 2024 - 12:26 PM.

• dnrmilspec and WillR like this

#74 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Skylab

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 13 April 2024 - 12:53 PM

My nephew and I left my house (southern NY)  at 8PM Sunday, the ride to Maine (552+ miles) took 10+ hours, we arrived at 5:30AM. The roads were empty. We left shortly after totality ended, my nephew had to work Tuesday evening. The only highway up near the venue was I-95, 162 miles of I-95. The ride back took 13 hours. The first 162 miles on I-95 took five hours, it should have taken 2 hours. We were up and back with 32 hours, I had about 45 minutes of sleep the whole time we were gone.

The next eclipse in the USA will be in 2044, I will be in my 90's or deseased, so I went to the area with the best forecast.

#75 WillR

WillR

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2024 - 01:20 PM

My nephew and I left my house (southern NY)  at 8PM Sunday, the ride to Maine (552+ miles) took 10+ hours, we arrived at 5:30AM. The roads were empty. We left shortly after totality ended, my nephew had to work Tuesday evening. The only highway up near the venue was I-95, 162 miles of I-95. The ride back took 13 hours. The first 162 miles on I-95 took five hours, it should have taken 2 hours. We were up and back with 32 hours, I had about 45 minutes of sleep the whole time we were gone.

The next eclipse in the USA will be in 2044, I will be in my 90's or deseased, so I went to the area with the best forecast.

Well done. If my partner could do long car trips, we would have taken off for Vermont or Maine, but it’s just too hard for her.

• SeymoreStars likes this

Reply to this topic

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics