•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Howie Glatter tools questions, specifically for DSO imaging

Accessories Astrophotography Collimation DSO Equipment Imaging Reflector
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jaydeepappas

jaydeepappas

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2024 - 02:50 PM

Hey all,

While I wait for my first imaging newtonian to arrive, I have decided on the HG line of tools for collimation. I have a few questions about the laser collimator + tublug + parallizer tools, specifically in regards to DSO imaging. I've seen some of these questions answered from a visual perspective but not so much an imaging perspective.

I have a 2" focuser. I have read that the 1.25" laser + 1.25" tublug + parallizer is actually more accurate than the 2" tools, because with the parallizer a 1.25" eyepiece will sit in the exact position as the 1.25" tublug does, giving essentially zero axial tilt betwen the 2 configurations. This is awesome and makes perfect sense. But what happens when I remove the tools and stick a coma corrector + imaging train directly into the 2" focuser? What if these accessories do not align exactly with how the parallizer was aligned? Wouldn't it make more sense to use the 2" tools directly into the focuser as you are now aligned with how the coma corrector will actually sit in the drawtube? Am I overthinking all of this?

The 1.25" tools with parallizer would be nice to have as it provides me with more flexibility and precise accuracy when observing visually. However that is maybe 1% of the time. I am primarily a DSO imager and want the best tools for that job. Which is the better choice here?

On another note, I had looked at the Farpoint toolset - which I really wanted - but they are never in stock anywhere, and Farpoint would not respond to my email about it. I was able to call Starlight instruments and they gave me an invoice for the HG tools, saying it should take about a month to get them finished up and shipped out. Any of tools of the same caliber? I was also really keen on the Catseye tools, but I am not interest in replacing the center marking on my primary mirror, which I have heard is basically a requirement.

Edited by jaydeepappas, 03 April 2024 - 02:51 PM.

#2 Nemo51

Nemo51

Viking 1

Posted 03 April 2024 - 04:27 PM

Where are you finding a glatter laser and tublug?

#3 jaydeepappas

jaydeepappas

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2024 - 04:59 PM

Where are you finding a glatter laser and tublug?

Starlight instruments. They are on back order but I called them and they created an invoice for me, saying they would reach out in 3-4 weeks (estimated) once they have finished production to process payment.

#4 Nemo51

Nemo51

Viking 1

Posted 03 April 2024 - 06:09 PM

Don’t count on it. I’ve waited a year. 

#5 Robert7980

Robert7980

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Western North Carolina

Posted 03 April 2024 - 06:11 PM

Pretty sure they are out of business permanently… I looked for months for the laser for my RC, no luck… You don’t really need anything special for a newt, the secondary is flat so they are easy to align. even the $20 lasers are usually adjustable to get them concentric. HoTech SCA is probably a good substitute for the HG, they are overpriced, but seem to work well, probably overkill for a newt though, I use one for tilt on my RC and alignment of my 12” newt DOB… 

Edited by Robert7980, 03 April 2024 - 06:16 PM.

#6 Nemo51

Nemo51

Viking 1

Posted 03 April 2024 - 06:41 PM

Starlight is alive and well. 

#7 bbasiaga

bbasiaga

Soyuz

Posted 03 April 2024 - 06:47 PM

Long time big dob user, with the Glatter tools.  

Once you change tools - from the tublug to an eyepeice, CC, camera nosepiece...whatever....you can't be 100% sure things are lining up exactly the same way.  

The idea of the 1.25" tools with the parallelizer being MORE accurrate doesn't sound right to me off the top, but I need to think about it.  Either way, it'll never be possible to get perfect collimation with tools.  You'll probably get close enough either way though, which is excellent!  

If you have real collimation issues with the camera that show up even after alignment with the tools, there are things you can do with the defocused star image and software using the camera itself.  

I'd definitely recommend some collimation tool set though, rather than starting with the camera.   The Glatter is awesome.  The Cat's Eye tool set is in my opinion more accurate, but also takes a little more practice and is best done in the day.  The Astrosystems laser could be an alternative, but is not quite as robust as the glatter tools. 

Brian

• jaydeepappas likes this

#8 jaydeepappas

jaydeepappas

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2024 - 10:14 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses. I was very lucky and had someone reach out to me just a few hours after posting a wanted ad, and I was able to score a 2” laser collimator + 2” tublug. Guy was super nice and even shipped it out today. After some more reading I found that there were some people saying the 1.25” accessories + parallizer were more accurate, however I found an old post from Howie (rest in peace) and he actually declared the opposite, so I’m going with what the man himself says!

Edited by jaydeepappas, 04 April 2024 - 12:44 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Astrophotography, Collimation, DSO, Equipment, Imaging, Reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics