•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

North-Central Arkansas Watch Party is ON!

24 replies to this topic

#1 SNH

SNH

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: North central Arkansas

Posted 07 April 2024 - 09:33 AM

Hi All,

My hometown in Sharp County has been working on an TSE Watch Party for the last six months since we are on the centerline and will experience 4m 13s. Our event is right off the highway (US 167) in Evening Shade and we are prepared to host up to 300 people along with another 100 further down main-street at our baseball field. 

The forecast has consistently shown for the last five days that only Maine has a better chance of clear skies than us! So, please consider joining us!!

Scott Harrington,

Contributing Editor for Sky & Telescope

eclipse flyer FINAL11.jpg

• havasman, StanH and Bubbagumps like this

#2 SNH

SNH

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 April 2024 - 09:36 AM

Event location is 83 W Main St, Evening Shade, AR.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 11.46.16 AM.png

• jfgout likes this

#3 SNH

SNH

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 April 2024 - 09:37 AM

NWS post from yesterday:

436301087_819070193600059_6515510616014148033_n.jpg

• havasman likes this

#4 Light_speed

Light_speed

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 April 2024 - 03:11 PM

Sounds great! My family will likely be there. Can you post a follow up message in the event you cancel it due to clouds so we are able to find an alternative location? 

#5 SNH

SNH

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 April 2024 - 03:15 PM

Sounds great! My family will likely be there. Can you post a follow up message in the event you cancel it due to clouds so we are able to find an alternative location? 

I'll PM if that happens. But I'm 100% on it happening since we've purchased all the food and all the forecasts say we are in the RIGHT SPOT.

Scott H.

#6 112aug

112aug

Lift Off

• Loc: Weld County, Colorado, USA

Posted 07 April 2024 - 03:23 PM

My wife and I are planning to be in Ash Flat, AR just north of you. I hope to photograph the whole eclipse. I just chatted with my wife, and since we are close, we will try to stop by. We hope to arrive around 9 or 9:30.

Clear skies!

Edited by 112aug, 07 April 2024 - 03:31 PM.

#7 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 07 April 2024 - 03:31 PM

You were handed a lovely gift of favorable skies for this event. Apparently no scope purchases have been made recently.  Enjoy!

Edited by Cajundaddy, 07 April 2024 - 03:32 PM.

• bookemdano, Diana N, SNH and 2 others like this

#8 bookemdano

bookemdano

Explorer 1

Posted 07 April 2024 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for letting everyone know about this! I’ve got three tripods I want to set up, plus my laptop for automating the cameras. Do you expect there will be sufficient room for folks trying to do some imaging? How early could I show up Monday morning?

#9 SNH

SNH

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 April 2024 - 05:33 PM

Thanks for letting everyone know about this! I’ve got three tripods I want to set up, plus my laptop for automating the cameras. Do you expect there will be sufficient room for folks trying to do some imaging? How early could I show up Monday morning?

I'm going to try and be in there by 8:30 to unlock the Gym and start setting up. So, show up before 10am and I would think you'd get a good spot. You may not get to park exactly where you want to set up, but I know of a few good places where you could set up...

Scott H.

#10 bookemdano

bookemdano

Explorer 1

Posted 07 April 2024 - 05:48 PM

Thanks Scott. I am in Poplar Bluff MO right now and you are about 2 hours away, so assuming the models behave I will probably head down that way super early in the AM.

It would be great to meet some other CNers there. I observed last October’s annular under crystal clear blue skies from a park in Hobbs NM along with some other folks from here and it was an awesome experience… and that was “just” an annular!

I just drove in from KC and I must say despite the weather uncertainty, it is a tremendous relief to know I’m “in the path” now. No matter what happens with the weather or anything else, the umbra is coming for me tomorrow!

• SNH likes this

#11 112aug

112aug

Lift Off

Posted 07 April 2024 - 05:57 PM

My wife and I are nearish in Springfield, MO, so we are hoping for good enough roads when we get up at 0-dark thirty to get to Evening Shade. Looking forward to the prospect of meeting you.

Thanks Scott. I am in Poplar Bluff MO right now and you are about 2 hours away, so assuming the models behave I will probably head down that way super early in the AM.

It would be great to meet some other CNers there. I observed last October’s annular under crystal clear blue skies from a park in Hobbs NM along with some other folks from here and it was an awesome experience… and that was “just” an annular!

I just drove in from KC and I must say despite the weather uncertainty, it is a tremendous relief to know I’m “in the path” now. No matter what happens with the weather or anything else, the umbra is coming for me tomorrow!

• bookemdano likes this

#12 bookemdano

bookemdano

Explorer 1

Posted 07 April 2024 - 06:00 PM

My wife and I are nearish in Springfield, MO, so we are hoping for good enough roads when we get up at 0-dark thirty to get to Evening Shade. Looking forward to the prospect of meeting you.

Passed by Springfield a couple hours ago! Safe travels and see you tomorrow.

• 112aug likes this

#13 bookemdano

bookemdano

Explorer 1

Posted 07 April 2024 - 06:03 PM

By the way, I googled “Evening Shade AR gymnasium”, saw that it was called Burt Reynolds Gymnasium and then it hit me that we are talking about *that* Evening Shade! I confess I never watched the show (I was a kid when it was on) but what a cool claim to fame—second only to being on the center line for the TSE.

#14 SNH

SNH

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 April 2024 - 06:26 PM

By the way, I googled “Evening Shade AR gymnasium”, saw that it was called Burt Reynolds Gymnasium and then it hit me that we are talking about *that* Evening Shade! I confess I never watched the show (I was a kid when it was on) but what a cool claim to fame—second only to being on the center line for the TSE.

I'm young, but to try and get people to recognize your town's name, I'd mention the show. But last year I watched the very first two episodes and it was TERRIBLE. A HORRIBLE show. The people on the "laugh track" just laughed at Burt's pain. Suffice it to say, I've stopped mentioning it to people...

Scott H.

• bookemdano likes this

#15 havasman

havasman

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 07 April 2024 - 06:38 PM

I thought you might have gotten lucky when I saw that map in post #3 yesterday. Congrats! I'm pretty much nailed down here by obligations but hope y'all have a big time.

#16 bookemdano

bookemdano

Explorer 1

Posted 07 April 2024 - 06:38 PM

Yeah that was kinda my impression. There were a lot of dumb sitcoms back then (I guess that’s always been the case). I did watch the show featuring your avatar Gordon Shumway and it was pretty dumb too, but at least it was funny—well, it was to 10-year-old me anyway lol.gif

Burt Reynolds was still a big star in the late 80s/early 90s, so I’m sure a lot of people tuned in just to see him. Even a big star can only carry bad writing so far.

Anyway, speaking of big stars, we’re gonna see one disappear tomorrow!!! EDIT: behind our satellite, not clouds bow.gif

Edited by bookemdano, 07 April 2024 - 06:39 PM.

• 112aug likes this

#17 Drothgeb

Drothgeb

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 08 April 2024 - 07:48 AM

I traveled from MD, and I’m currently camping down at Kirby Landing on Lake Greeson. Yesterday, I thought about heading your way. But in looking at Windy.com this morning, it looks like I should be pretty good staying put. I may have to move a little East or West to dodge clouds, but it doesn’t look like it.

Good luck to you. Looks like you’re setup well.

• 112aug likes this

#18 112aug

112aug

Lift Off

Posted 08 April 2024 - 09:47 PM

I traveled from MD, and I’m currently camping down at Kirby Landing on Lake Greeson. Yesterday, I thought about heading your way. But in looking at Windy.com this morning, it looks like I should be pretty good staying put. I may have to move a little East or West to dodge clouds, but it doesn’t look like it.

Good luck to you. Looks like you’re setup well.

Good evening! We had a wonderful time with perfect clear skies. Could not ask for a better day in Evening Shade. :) 

I hope you had clear skies and wonderful conditions from your location as well!

• Drothgeb likes this

#19 Drothgeb

Drothgeb

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 08 April 2024 - 10:59 PM

Good evening! We had a wonderful time with perfect clear skies. Could not ask for a better day in Evening Shade. smile.gif

I hope you had clear skies and wonderful conditions from your location as well!

Had a great time. There were some clouds and haze. But we saw the entire total phase, and it was spectacular.

Great area. We had hoped to camp here a few more nights. But with 6” of rain forecast over the next few days. We decided to go hunker down at the Hilton in Hot Springs.

• 112aug likes this

#20 OK Apricot

OK Apricot

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 April 2024 - 08:39 AM

Put a lot of miles and stress into getting to Evening Shade but was worth every single second. Minimal thin high cloud, great atmosphere, some fun setups on display. Hope to be able to see people's pictures posted up here, and the drone shots ☺️
  • 112aug likes this

#21 112aug

112aug

Lift Off

Posted 10 April 2024 - 10:50 AM

Put a lot of miles and stress into getting to Evening Shade but was worth every single second. Minimal thin high cloud, great atmosphere, some fun setups on display. Hope to be able to see people's pictures posted up here, and the drone shots ☺️

I (the drone operator) just arrived home last night. Once I review the footage and share it with the hosts, I will probably post a couple shots on this thread! :) 

#22 SNH

SNH

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 10 April 2024 - 04:31 PM

I (the drone operator) just arrived home last night. Once I review the footage and share it with the hosts, I will probably post a couple shots on this thread! smile.gif

Oh, good. I'm glad to hear you made it home safely!!

Scott H.

• 112aug likes this

#23 112aug

112aug

Lift Off

Posted 11 April 2024 - 07:51 PM

Hello everyone!

I have finally had a chance to process most of my data and get it uploaded onto Google Drive for sharing. Santiago also sent me his (a high quality recording of the partial phase, totality, and the end of the eclipse), so I included that in Google Drive to share with you all!

Here is the link - https://drive.google...uNI?usp=sharing

In this folder you will find a video of the whole eclipse process (captured by Santiago), a video of my phone's recording (I cropped out the part of the video where my camera got out of focus), my drone's video of the eclipse, pictures of the event from my drone, and my pictures of the eclipse. If you use them, please attribute my videos or pictures to me (Caleb Leonard / Visual Awe), or Santiago's footage to Santiago.

If you have any questions or need anything, please feel free to reach out!

#24 SNH

SNH

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2024 - 09:38 PM

I'd like to give a big "Thank You" to all who took the risk and attended my town's watch party. It might not have been very evident, but my family pretty much ran the entire thing. However, when I pitched the idea to the City Council back in January, my picture was that I would contribute to whatever event they planned on doing. Turned out they had no plans, which was good and bad. Suffice it to say, the good was that my family and I got to set it up and run it exactly how we wanted to; which was to keep it simple. We wanted to focus on the eclipse by having multiple telescopes and only sell a reasonably-priced meal and reasonably-priced merchandise.

So, even though it was a lot of work for my family, it went as well as we could have hoped for and are extremely thankful for all 200+ who turned out. Going over our sign-in sheet, I counted people from 20 different states outside Arkansas and at least three countries! It was especially awesome for me because I got to meet so many other people enthusiastic about astronomy, including a good friend from California that I had hoped to meet one day!

I sent my "report" to S&T and it's up with the rest of the others who shared theirs (Experiencing Totality: S&T's Eclipse Stories)

Scott Harrington

• 112aug likes this

#25 112aug

112aug

Lift Off

Posted 12 April 2024 - 04:39 PM

I'd like to give a big "Thank You" to all who took the risk and attended my town's watch party. It might not have been very evident, but my family pretty much ran the entire thing. However, when I pitched the idea to the City Council back in January, my picture was that I would contribute to whatever event they planned on doing. Turned out they had no plans, which was good and bad. Suffice it to say, the good was that my family and I got to set it up and run it exactly how we wanted to; which was to keep it simple. We wanted to focus on the eclipse by having multiple telescopes and only sell a reasonably-priced meal and reasonably-priced merchandise.

So, even though it was a lot of work for my family, it went as well as we could have hoped for and are extremely thankful for all 200+ who turned out. Going over our sign-in sheet, I counted people from 20 different states outside Arkansas and at least three countries! It was especially awesome for me because I got to meet so many other people enthusiastic about astronomy, including a good friend from California that I had hoped to meet one day!

I sent my "report" to S&T and it's up with the rest of the others who shared theirs (Experiencing Totality: S&T's Eclipse Stories)

Scott Harrington

Thank you for sharing Scott! And thank you for such a wonderful event! It was perfect for my and my wife's first eclipse!

Edited by 112aug, 12 April 2024 - 04:39 PM.

Reply to this topic

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics