•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX200GPS-cant find target

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#26 pgtuck

pgtuck

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2024 - 02:20 PM

Able to connect and update autostar-2. First, the instructions step12. say- if you have gps and want to correct the gps week number roll then deselect gps setup and, select gps roll over bug. I never saw that option. After connecting to scope the only choice was update button,. Rebooted scope and still have the 2004 date issue.

starpatch.jpg

#27 pgtuck

pgtuck

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2024 - 02:48 PM

Additional choices in downloads. Is there an additional download that is needed?

Screenshot 2024-04-17 144630.jpg

#28 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Hubble

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 17 April 2024 - 03:28 PM

Able to connect and update autostar-2. First, the instructions step12. say- if you have gps and want to correct the gps week number roll then deselect gps setup and, select gps roll over bug. I never saw that option. After connecting to scope the only choice was update button,. Rebooted scope and still have the 2004 date issue.

attachicon.gif starpatch.jpg

" If you have a telescope with a built-in GPS and want to correct the GPS Week Number Roll Over problem then deselect "GPS Setup" (Autostar 497/497EP or Audiostar) and select "Fix GPS Rollover Bug"."

That  statement is for the GPS if used with a Autostar 497 not an Autostar II like you have . So all is good that you selected fix the GPS Rollover bug . The patch spf you selected is the only one you need. The others are Meade versions and/or for different scopes.

How long did it take to down load the new firmware ?  After it reloaded the firmware does it now say 4.2G ?  Did you turn the GPS on  in the menu in the handcontroller and allow to find your location ? 

- Dave 

Edited by DAVIDG, 17 April 2024 - 03:47 PM.

• Skywatchr likes this

#29 pgtuck

pgtuck

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2024 - 03:49 PM

20 minutes for download. Rebooted scope and date still shows 2004. I correct date and set current time. Rebooted scope and date still shows 2004. Scope GPS was never turned off. So i can deselect all updates except fix GPS roll over correct? Starpatch automatically selects all fixes needed when you check autostar-2. The autostar hand controller has always displayed 4,2G! 

#30 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Hubble

Posted 17 April 2024 - 03:59 PM

Is the handcontroller showing that it looking for GPS Data  and it has found GPS data ?  Yes you can deselect any option you want and reload the firmware.

- Dave 

#31 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Cosmos

Posted 17 April 2024 - 04:44 PM

Gday pgtuck

The std method is to simply import the V21.spf

You normally leave all options as selected by default

and load the patch.

After loading, restart the mount

The GPS should automatically start to detect satellites

If it doesnt, you probably have it set to "ON"

If so, set the GPS to "At Start" and reboot

It should now detect and the date should then be correct after fixing

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#32 pgtuck

pgtuck

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2024 - 09:06 PM

After restarting the controller beeped and showed align? It did not start looking satellites.

#33 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Cosmos

Posted 17 April 2024 - 10:52 PM

Gday pgtuck

After restarting the controller beeped and showed align?

In that case, you have the GPS set to "ON", ie it wont try to fix until it has to.

As i mentioned earlier, set the GPS to "At Start" and see what happens.

After it fixes, check the date/time is OK.

#34 Cryhavoc38

Cryhavoc38

Ranger 4

• Loc: Woodinville, WA

Posted 18 April 2024 - 09:32 AM

I don't even have a Meade scope or mount but have been reading this thread like I'm reading a mystery novel!

AndrewJ...you have excellent customer service skills and patience.

#35 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Hubble

Posted 18 April 2024 - 09:44 AM

As Andrew stated put the the GPS in At Start. When you boot the scope it will show that is searching for GPS data.  You  will get a "******    "  across the display as it looks for the GPS  satellites to  find your location. Once it finds them it will beep and the menu will change to Align.

You may have to take the scope outside for it to find the satellites  since the GPS is not the most sensitive and may take more then a few minutes to find them.  The battery on the mother board holds the memory up for the GPS so the next time it needs to find the satellites it knows which one to look for and that reduces the time it takes to get the needed data.

Once you get the GPS to lock on to the satellites and get the data your year will be correct.

- Dave 

• Skywatchr likes this

#36 pgtuck

pgtuck

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2024 - 09:37 PM

After all the great help I think the scope is acting as advertised. When powering the calendar is correct but the clock is not. It always show's 8:00 pm. I've checked the daylight savings, UTH offset and the time zone. Even tried not using day light saving. Still 8:00pm. GPS searches when powered up. Clock still shows 8:00pm. Two star align (polar) works great. Scope now finds targets. Again thanks for all the great help. 

#37 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Cosmos

Posted 18 April 2024 - 09:52 PM

Gday pgtuck

When the GPS searches at boot, does it "fix", or time out

If it times out, the system wil revert to last used date and 8:00PM

but it means you also had to select that ( or manually reset the time )

Soooo, can you start it up and ensure it fixes

( ie it should go to the normal menus by itself )

If it asks for / displays the Date/Time screens, then it didnt fix.

#38 pgtuck

pgtuck

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2024 - 07:52 AM

Thanks Andrew! Yes the telescope completes the satellite search. When complete it does not ask for date/time. Standard ready screen. I turn the scope off. Come back later and startup. The clock shows 8:00pm. 

#39 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Cosmos

Posted 19 April 2024 - 04:47 PM

Gday pgtuck

On booting, if the GPS is set to "ON", until it fixes, the clock will be set to 8:00PM

If it fixes, the clock wil get set properly

Sooo, if you got a fix, then turned it off and back on

the date will default to "last used date"  ( ie correct ) but the time will be 8:00pm until set.

So one more time

Is your GPS set to "ON" or "At Start"

#40 pgtuck

pgtuck

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2024 - 06:04 PM

GPS is set to on at start! 

#41 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Cosmos

Posted 19 April 2024 - 06:22 PM

Then you wont( shouldnt ) see the 8:00PM prompt unless it times out

• Skywatchr likes this

#42 pgtuck

pgtuck

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 April 2024 - 08:55 AM

Problems resolved!!!! Andrew thanks for all of your help. Dave , Thank you as well. After repeated tries to get scope to show correct time when starting I decided to to try reloading roll over date patch again. All of my atemps to restart with gaps set to on at start failed. Before reloading software roll over patch I deselected all checked boxes in the patch load options. After reloading and doing the gps search the system worked almost perfect. Almost in that now the time always show one hour later than actual. I have check the UTC setting and, daylight setting. Still show one hour later. Even tried moving UTC forward I hour and restarting . Still show s one hour later than actual. The great thing is ,even with clock showing later than actual I can adjust clock manually. With clock adjusted I do the two star star polar alignment and the scope works as advertised. scope finds items selected! Thanks again.  

• Skywatchr likes this

#43 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Hubble

Posted 20 April 2024 - 10:30 AM

I'm pretty sure the problem with the clock being off is that your TIME ZONE for your site is wrong. I just purposely set mine wrong and the time was off. 

1) Go to SETUP

2) Scroll down to you find SITE

3) Scroll down to EDIT

4 Scroll down to TIME Zone

5) Hit enter and it will show the time zone for your location Since your in the central time zone that should be -6 all the time.  Don't correct it for Daylight saving time. That is what the DAYLIGHT SAVING time setting does.

Now I bet your time will be correct.

Also just so we are all on the same page to set the GPS to start looking for data as soon as the scope boots 

1) Go to SETUP

2) Scroll down to the TELESCOPE and hit enter

3) Scroll down to GPS ALIGNMENT hit enter

4) Scroll  down to you will  find AT START UP  and hit enter..

Now after the scope boots and shows the Welcome screen it will show "Taking GPS Fix"  as is looks for the satellites to get the needed information. Once it gets the data it will beep say CALCULATING for a few seconds and then change to the ALIGN menu.

I hope this fixes the last of your problems and the scope will work perfectly to find objects.  I repaired one that was donated to my club and I'm impressed every time I use  it because it puts objects in the eyepiece every time. 

- Dave 

Edited by DAVIDG, 20 April 2024 - 10:32 AM.

• Skywatchr and michael8554 like this

#44 pgtuck

pgtuck

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 April 2024 - 09:13 PM

I have followed the instructions to the letter on date and time set. GPS fix has been completed. The displayed lat/long match the actual. The time continues to off by one hour and, the day is off by one day. Always later than actual. If I manually correct the date and time the scope performs well. The year displayed after starting is correct. Not sure what I"m missing here! 

#45 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Cosmos

Posted 22 April 2024 - 10:07 PM

Gday pgtuck

Too many people use the firmware without this problem,

so there has to be a setting discrepancy somewhere.

Can you grab my PEC editor from here ( get the beta at the bottom )

http://members.optus...om.au/johansea/

Start your mount and let it get a fix, do not edit anything.

Now start my app and let it connect to your scope

Go to the "Setup Status" screen

Press the "Time Locn" test button

The screen will fill with all the setup and current time data

Right click on the grid and you can save it as a text file.

Grab that and post it here so we can see whats going on.

• Skywatchr likes this

#46 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Hubble

Posted 22 April 2024 - 10:46 PM

I'm stumped !  I'm able to make the date be off by 1 day forward by having the Time Zone be +6 instead of -6 but that sets the time off by 6 hours  not just one hour. 

The GPS_UTC offset should be set to +18 since corrects for offset between UTC and GPS time but that is only 18 seconds.  

Maybe Andrew has an idea .

- Dave 

• Skywatchr likes this

#47 pgtuck

pgtuck

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 April 2024 - 02:47 PM

Data collected from lx200gps uncorrected.

#48 pgtuck

pgtuck

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 April 2024 - 02:50 PM

scope data.jpg

#49 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Hubble

Posted 23 April 2024 - 03:15 PM

It looks like all your GPS data is wrong. The years and date are wrong . Your GPS Data show the Longitude of 139 deg 44' 40 EAST  so it putting you on the other side of the world  which would make the day advanced by 1 and also affect the time and your latitude it received is wrong.  Did you allow the GPS to sync up and then do the down load or did the GPS not acquire the data ? It seems like there is problem with the GPS receiver.  Are you watching the Autostar display and seeing the ***** as the GPS looks for data, then Beeps and showing Calculating for few seconds to be sure it is acquiring data ? 

Inside the left fork arm is a ribbon cable that is known to have issues over  time. It could be the issue as to why the GPS seem to be not sending good data to the main board.  So you might want to pull the cover and see if anything looks damaged. 

- Dave 

Edited by DAVIDG, 23 April 2024 - 04:10 PM.

• Skywatchr likes this

#50 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Cosmos

Posted 23 April 2024 - 04:09 PM

Gday pgtuck

I agree with Dave, something does look wrong

but i asked you to get the dump from the  "Time Locn" test on the "Setup Status" tab.

On the top middle of the screen you posted, i see "GPS data may be suspect"

and this happens if it didnt get a fix when you refreshed the page

The latitude of Tokyo, Japan is 35.652832 N, and the longitude is 139.839478 N

and that is what the GPS defaults to on a cold start,

so my guess is it isnt actually fixing?????

To test that, please run the "Time Locn" test after it "says it has fixed"

then go to the "GPSData" tab and press the "GPR" button

This will start streaming the GPS strings to the screen

That will clearly show what the receiver is getting.

• Skywatchr likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics