•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Problems slewing with Meade Autostar II Handbox controller

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chrisastro64

chrisastro64

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2024 - 12:45 AM

I wonder if there is any kind soul out there who could help me with a vexing problem regarding my Meade Autostar II handcontroller which I use with my Meade 30 cm LX200 from 2007.

The problem I have is that that the telescope doesn't slew to the target object when I press the GOTO button; I just get information about when the object rises, sets etc.

I suspected a problem with a worn out GOTO button and so I ordered a brand new handcontroller, identical to my previous controller but the problem repeats itself.

There don't appear to be any mechanical or power problems with the telescope. Autostar II goes through its alignment procedure perfectly and the manual slewing is fine with the arrow buttons.

Upon successful alignment, I check the alignment by slewing to a couple of named first magnitude stars which works fine. The problems start when I try to slew to other objects. There is a slight humming sound consistent with the lowest slew speed (x8 or guide) when I press the GOTO button but otherwise nothing happens. Could it be that the telescope reverts from the  max slew default speed to guide speed following the first couple of initial slews?

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? How can I solve it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Chris Allen / Sweden

#2 wbutts

wbutts

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Va

Posted 08 April 2024 - 01:10 AM

If tried a new controller, then bad controllers are ruled out.  Local clubs can probably loan you another hand controller to completely rule out bad controller. I'd be very happy to buy one of your autostar II controllers since mine in on it's last legs.   Have a Meade LX200 GPS 10".  

Wade Butts / Virginia, USA

wbutts@cybco.net

• chrisastro64 likes this

#3 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Cosmos

Posted 08 April 2024 - 01:21 AM

Gday Chris

Have you "selected" the target first ???

You can scroll to the planet using the menus but you must then hit enter

first ( to recalculate the new RA/DEC ) and then hit goto.

"Selecting" will put the planet name on the top line of the LCD with data on the second line.

Hitting goto at that point should go to the object

If you hit goto when the planet name is still on the second line, nothing happens :-)

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

• Skywatchr and chrisastro64 like this

#4 michael8554

michael8554

Skylab

• Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 08 April 2024 - 05:27 AM

"the telescope doesn't slew to the target object when I press the GOTO button; I just get information about when the object rises, sets etc."

After the info is displayed, Press ENTER or GOTO again, I can't remember which.

• Skywatchr and chrisastro64 like this

#5 chrisastro64

chrisastro64

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2024 - 01:32 AM

Thanks for your input! I'm not convinced I have entirely solved the problem but the telescope last night was slewing correctly between user objects on the computer (I'm a variable star observer). I tried manually slewing backwards and forwards after each user object slew and that worked at least last night.

Chris Allen

Sweden

#6 chrisastro64

chrisastro64

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2024 - 01:38 AM

If tried a new controller, then bad controllers are ruled out.  Local clubs can probably loan you another hand controller to completely rule out bad controller. I'd be very happy to buy one of your autostar II controllers since mine in on it's last legs.   Have a Meade LX200 GPS 10".  

wbutts@cybco.net

Hi Wade,

Let's keep in touch about this. I would only sell my old handcontroller if I'm 100% convinced that there are no electronics problems with the handcontroller  itself rather than sell a dud. After a 9 month wait I was however able to take delivery of a new handcontroller from astroshop.eu. They first told me that Meade where no longer manufacturing these units for the older LX200 Meades and then suddenly one was on its way. Perhaps get in touch with Astroshop and see what they can do.

My email address is christopher.allen@telia.com  if you want to keep in touch!

Best

Chris Allen / Sweden

#7 wbutts

wbutts

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Va

Posted 05 May 2024 - 07:40 PM

Sounds like a plan, my box controller is completely out of service now, so have to purchase a new one or go the the wifi route. 

Cheers,

wbutts@cybco.net

#8 Thrifty1

Thrifty1

Viking 1

Posted 06 May 2024 - 06:48 AM

Sounds like a plan, my box controller is completely out of service now, so have to purchase a new one or go the the wifi route. 

Cheers,
wbutts@cybco.net

Meade is selling new AutoStar II controllers for $80 plus $15 shipping. $95 is a good price for a new controller with coiled cable. I just bought one from them last month so I would have a backup if needed for my 15 year old 10” LX200R.
  • Skywatchr likes this

#9 OskiBear

OskiBear

Explorer 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 11 May 2024 - 07:27 PM

Meade is selling new AutoStar II controllers for $80 plus $15 shipping. $95 is a good price for a new controller with coiled cable. I just bought one from them last month so I would have a backup if needed for my 15 year old 10” LX200R.

where are you seeing this? Can't find it on the Meade site

thanks

#10 Thrifty1

Thrifty1

Viking 1

Posted 12 May 2024 - 03:52 AM

Send an inquiry to: customerservice@meade.com

I never saw it on their website. Someone had posted about it over on a Facebook group.

They were back ordered about a month when I ordered mine in Feb/March but got it in April.
  • Skywatchr and AstroDan2015 like this

#11 OskiBear

OskiBear

Explorer 1

Posted 14 May 2024 - 05:31 PM

thanks Ralph - I'm off to customerservice

• Skywatchr likes this

#12 OskiBear

OskiBear

Explorer 1

Posted 16 May 2024 - 05:51 PM

just an update - as of this am backordered, but I'm in the queue

#13 Thrifty1

Thrifty1

Viking 1

Posted 17 May 2024 - 06:22 AM

just an update - as of this am backordered, but I'm in the queue

Are they still selling them for $80 plus $15 shipping? It took 1-2 months for mine to come in as they were back ordered at that time too.

#14 OskiBear

OskiBear

Explorer 1

Posted 17 May 2024 - 06:28 PM

Are they still selling them for $80 plus $15 shipping? It took 1-2 months for mine to come in as they were back ordered at that time too.

I didn't get a price yet. But I think $80 is a good deal. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics