•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sue French's "Deep Sky Wonders"

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gustave

gustave

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Charlottesville, VA

Posted 08 April 2024 - 08:46 PM

I have been using Sue French’s “ Celestial Sampler” for years and very much enjoy are writing style and design target descriptions.
I just became aware of her follow up “Deep Sky Wonders” and am interested in purchasing it.
Can anyone comment if it follows the same format as the former book? That is, star and deep sky object hopping within seasonal constellations.
Is there any deviation from this format? Is it basically more objects than “Deep Sky Wonders”?

Thanks

#2 Ken J Cunningham

Ken J Cunningham

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Westminster, BC, Canada

Posted 08 April 2024 - 10:59 PM

I don’t have Celestial Sampler but it sounds like the same format. The book is organized by Season, Month, and constellations. It’s a collection of 100 of her columns from Sky and Telescope and is describe on the back copy as an expansion of Celestial Sampler.

#3 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

ISS

• Loc: New Lebanon, NY and Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 09 April 2024 - 04:45 AM

I have been using Sue French’s “ Celestial Sampler” for years and very much enjoy are writing style and design target descriptions.
I just became aware of her follow up “Deep Sky Wonders” and am interested in purchasing it.
Can anyone comment if it follows the same format as the former book? That is, star and deep sky object hopping within seasonal constellations.
Is there any deviation from this format? Is it basically more objects than “Deep Sky Wonders”?

They're very similar, and in fact have some overlap (as I remember).

Celestial Sampler is a collection of columns that Sue French wrote for Sky & Telescope in her earlier times there. Those columns were titled Small Scope Sampler, and Sue was restricted to writing about what she could see through her 4-inch refractor.

Deep Sky Wonders is a bigger book. Again, it's a collection of columns that she wrote for Sky & Telescope. But most of those are from the time when the 4-inch restriction was lifted, and her column was retitled Deep Sky Wonders. As I remember we also included a number of Small Scope Sampler columns to give an even number of columns per season. Alas, I don't remember the details, even though I was intimately involved in the production of the book. (I actually edited many if not most of those Deep Sky Wonders columns when I was working at S&T.)

I think Celestial Sampler is a bit more compact and focused, but Deep Sky Wonders obviously has a wider range.

• George N, turtle86, bbanicki and 5 others like this

#4 gustave

gustave

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2024 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for the helpful and interesting responses! 

#5 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

• Loc: Margaritaville

Posted 09 April 2024 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for the helpful and interesting responses! 

If you liked the first one, you'll definitely like the follow up. Both are superb.

• Knasal and JOEinCO like this

#6 jcj380

jcj380

Skylab

• Loc: Out in the night, in the whispering breezes

Posted 11 April 2024 - 12:48 PM

I have both.  "CS" is a relatively thin paperback and "DSW" is hardbound in my case.  Same format, good content.  See Tony's comments.

• Daniel Mounsey likes this

#7 B 26354

B 26354

Gemini

• Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 12 April 2024 - 01:56 PM

Celestial Sampler was published in 2008, and Deep Sky Wonders in 2011. Exactly the same format. I own both. Celestial Sampler contains 60 "tours" and Deep Sky Wonders contains an additional 100.

You owe it to yourself to also get Walter Scott Houston's Deep Sky Wonders. Prior to Sue French, Houston wrote the "Deep Sky Wonders" column in Sky & Telescope from 1946 until his passing in 1993. As with French's books, Houston's book is a compilation of many of his S&T articles.

I consider all three books to be indispensable.

biggrin.png

#8 gustave

gustave

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2024 - 10:25 AM

I'll definitely look into Water Scott Houston's Deep Sky Wonders.   Sue's Deep Sky Wonders arrived las week and I've found it a to be an excellent resource, and read!

BTW back in the late 1970s I put together an Astronomy Tour to Norther Europe while employed by Finnair (national airline of Finland).  I collaborated on this project with Mark R. Chartrand, American Museum-Hayden Planetarium, NYC, and Walter Scott Houston.  If I recall correctly

I advertised the tour in Sky and  Telescope. 

• Ken J Cunningham and B 26354 like this

#9 FoxIslandHiker

FoxIslandHiker

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Fox Island, Washington

Posted 14 April 2024 - 10:27 AM

They're very similar, and in fact have some overlap (as I remember).

Twenty-five articles appear identically in both books.  I own both and like them a lot.

I would pay good money for audio versions so I could listen to them while looking through the eyepiece.  

• Ken J Cunningham likes this

#10 skyops

skyops

Messenger

• Loc: Southwest U.S.

Posted 14 April 2024 - 03:57 PM

I bought the hardbound version shortly after release, but see the paper-back only being offered on Amazon, just now. 

I will get that, also, just because I like books.

• jcj380 likes this

#11 deepskysailor

deepskysailor

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 April 2024 - 05:31 PM

As an amateur from China, I really admire her works. Her 2 books are the first 2 astronomy books written in English that I bought and the Deep Sky Wonders is now translated into Chinese and published, based on the paperback edition.

Edited by deepskysailor, 16 April 2024 - 05:34 PM.

• Illinois, bbanicki and B 26354 like this

#12 Winston6079

Winston6079

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Room 101

Posted 22 April 2024 - 10:17 AM

Both Taiwan and Hong Kong have lagged far behind China in translating English science books.

I am surprised that they have already published translated “Turn Left at Orion” too.

“深空奇观” Deep Sky Wonders

“猎户座左转” Turn Left at Orion

#13 NightSkyGuy

NightSkyGuy

Explorer 1

Posted 24 April 2024 - 04:42 PM

Both Taiwan and Hong Kong have lagged far behind China in translating English science books.

I am surprised that they have already published translated “Turn Left at Orion” too.

“深空奇观” Deep Sky Wonders

“猎户座左转” Turn Left at Orion

I should point out that not all of these translations are legal. neither Sky & Telescope nor the American Astronomical Society has ever authorized a Chinese-language translation of "Deep-Sky Wonders." however, Br. Guy confirms that Cambridge University Press did indeed contract with a translator for an authorized Chinese translation of "Turn Left at Orion."

clear skies,

Kelly

• Winston6079 likes this

#14 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Cosmos

Posted 25 April 2024 - 05:41 AM

Sue's Deep Sky Wonders is a fabulous source I still use today. She focused on many obscure asterisms and objects most don't know are visible in small scopes and missing from most atlas's I've seen. I highly recommend it. 

• jcj380 likes this

#15 deepskysailor

deepskysailor

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 April 2024 - 02:07 PM

I should point out that not all of these translations are legal. neither Sky & Telescope nor the American Astronomical Society has ever authorized a Chinese-language translation of "Deep-Sky Wonders." however, Br. Guy confirms that Cambridge University Press did indeed contract with a translator for an authorized Chinese translation of "Turn Left at Orion."

clear skies,

Kelly

But the publisher of Sue's Deep Sky Wonders is Firefly Books,who owns the copyright of the hardcover edition. Is the copyright of the paperback editon changed?

Are you mentioning the Deep Sky Wonders by Walter S. Houston?Sure, it must be authorized from Sky & Telescope to translate that book. I did buy a second hand copy of Scotty's several years ago and it came with the review by James Mullaney, cut directly from S&T magazine. 

Erratum: One of my starfriends checked,that the Chinese edition of Sue French's Deep Sky Wonders is actually based on the hardcover edition. I think it's more about the issue of copyright business with Firefly Books.

Edited by deepskysailor, 27 April 2024 - 08:50 PM.

#16 mountain monk

mountain monk

Soyuz

• Loc: Jackson, Wyoming

Posted 01 May 2024 - 08:39 PM

Sue’s Deep Sky Wonders has been a fundamental text for me since it was published in 2011. Does anyone know if and how the 2020 paperback edition is different? Thanks.

Dark skies.

Jack

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics