•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

T-Ring Recommendations for Star Watcher Evostar 72ED

Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Luckyhead11

Luckyhead11

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Springfield IL

Posted 11 April 2024 - 06:52 PM

So I recently bought a 1.25" adapter not knowing what I was doing, it just arrived today not being able to fit into my telescope.

The camera I am using is a Nikon D3500
What T-Ring / Adapter should I get so that my camera and the Evostar can connect?

Thanks!

• idclimber and RodgerDodger008 like this

#2 OzViking

OzViking

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 11 April 2024 - 07:40 PM

You need something that screws into the focuser of the ED72 to step-down the size to fit the T-ring.

If you have the SW flattener for the ED72, it's a standard M48 thread on the camera side and you need an M48 to Nikon T-ring. If you don't have a flattener, then the scope (from memory) comes with suitable adapters to get from the focuser thread down to M48 or M42.

You may also need suitable extension tubes to get the back-focus correct.

V.

#3 Luckyhead11

Luckyhead11

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2024 - 08:16 PM

You need something that screws into the focuser of the ED72 to step-down the size to fit the T-ring.

If you have the SW flattener for the ED72, it's a standard M48 thread on the camera side and you need an M48 to Nikon T-ring. If you don't have a flattener, then the scope (from memory) comes with suitable adapters to get from the focuser thread down to M48 or M42.

You may also need suitable extension tubes to get the back-focus correct.

V.

Yeah, so I just saw that my telescope comes with that adapter, but I never received one.

#4 OzViking

OzViking

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 12 April 2024 - 05:22 AM

If you bought the scope from a shop, then take it back and explain it's missing pieces. If you bought it second-hand, then I suggest looking into the better astro stores and seeing what they have available.

If you have a local bricks-n-mortar store, even better because you can take the scope and camera and T-Ring in there and get parts that you know are going to work.

Given you're hanging a camera off the back of the scope, I strongly recommend getting screw-together (ie, threaded) components. I don't trust the compression mountings, and over-tightening the thumb-screws may damage your adapters / components.

Cheers,

V.

#5 Luckyhead11

Luckyhead11

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2024 - 07:39 AM

So I purchased it through Amazon, and in the reviews nobody else received one so I doubt thats even a thing they give out.

And it doesn't even fit period if I tried to put it in, its 1.25'' and the thingy is 2'' so it just falls out. So nothing is really holding my camera in. I found some 3D models online, which I will 3D print, I know thats not going to be strong but I just want to take it outside once or twice before I get the new t-ring.

#6 RodgerDodger008

RodgerDodger008

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, Australia

Posted 14 April 2024 - 06:21 AM

I have this scope and it does not come with any adaptor other than the visual back that screws into the scope. This is already installed. The lack of spacers and adaptors in part is how they keep the cost down.

I dont use a dslr so cant give you the exact idea of what you need but I can tell you the 1.25 inch adaptor that comes with skywatcher dobs fits perfectly into the visual back. This has a removable part that screws off and that thread is there to screw a t ring adaptor on.

You will likely need some spacers also as the scope is designed to be used with a diagonal for visual.

The other configuration is adding the reducer/flatner, this I think does come with the adaptor for a t ring and if doing astrophotography with the scope you will likely need a flatner.

Good luck you will get there but will just need to work out all the bits needed to make it work.

#7 RodgerDodger008

RodgerDodger008

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, Australia

Posted 14 April 2024 - 06:25 AM

Here is mine, using the dedicated reducer and a ASI585MC

Do you have the reducer? It sounds like you don't and that is what another poster talked about above, that comes with an adaptor but you dont need to buy that to make it work imo, there are other options.

Clear skies.

20231119 091037

Edited by RodgerDodger008, 14 April 2024 - 06:29 AM.

#8 Luckyhead11

Luckyhead11

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2024 - 11:21 AM

No, I don't have a reducer... I have a 1.25" - 2.00" adapter for my previous t-ring that I bought. It's coming later today so I'll test it out then. I just hope that it is long enough so I can focus it correctly wink.gif

Edited by Luckyhead11, 14 April 2024 - 11:24 AM.

#9 Luckyhead11

Luckyhead11

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2024 - 01:40 PM

Alight so no my camera fits, but It can't seem to focus on ANYTHING. I couldn't even find the moon it was so out of focus, when I turn the knobs on the telescope but they don't do much.

Whenever I take the camera off and just look through the end, maybe about 1 foot away I can actually see something in focus. So is it a camera issue, or do I need to do something else?

Edited by Luckyhead11, 14 April 2024 - 01:45 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics