•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Solar Eclipse from Vermont

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 robcac26

robcac26

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2024 - 10:46 PM

Here is my attempt to re-create what I saw through my 11" Teeter.  I took a picture through the eyepiece with my phone and did this sketch based on that picture as well as some details that did not come out in the picture but remained in my memory.  I know that isn't really how sketching is meant to be done, but I started sketching just as a way to basically have visual reminders of the cool things I've observed without getting into the astrophotography rabbit hole, and with only three and a half minutes of totality, I didn't want to miss the moment.  Feedback is very welcome, I would like to get better at this.

Attached Thumbnails

• EclipseSketch.jpg

Edited by robcac26, 11 April 2024 - 11:15 PM.

• Special Ed, zjc26138, hbanich and 18 others like this

#2 JMSchwartz

JMSchwartz

Viking 1

• Loc: Simi Valley California 93065

Posted 11 April 2024 - 11:05 PM

Very nice sketch of the Total solar Eclipse the proms really show through.

Thank you for sharing. 

CSS Jon 

#3 AstroBoyInTheCity

AstroBoyInTheCity

Explorer 1

• Loc: Oakland, CA

Posted 12 April 2024 - 02:47 PM

I’m loving the intensity of this image! Great job recreating the moment! There’s a real sense of life in the way your created the rough black silhouette outline of the moon against the stark white ring which I find very intense. Although maybe not perfectly accurate to realism, it conveys a wonderful sense of energy that I feel when looking at the sun. Not sure if this was on purpose, but I find it wonderful!

Would you mind sharing what materials you used to create this? Is the moon the black if the paper, or did you layer that on top of the white?

Also, since you’re asking for feedback, is there anything you’re not happy with in the drawing? Cuz I think it’s pretty fantastic as it is.
  • cpman likes this

#4 robcac26

robcac26

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2024 - 03:51 PM

I’m loving the intensity of this image! Great job recreating the moment! There’s a real sense of life in the way your created the rough black silhouette outline of the moon against the stark white ring which I find very intense. Although maybe not perfectly accurate to realism, it conveys a wonderful sense of energy that I feel when looking at the sun. Not sure if this was on purpose, but I find it wonderful!

Would you mind sharing what materials you used to create this? Is the moon the black if the paper, or did you layer that on top of the white?

Also, since you’re asking for feedback, is there anything you’re not happy with in the drawing? Cuz I think it’s pretty fantastic as it is.

Thanks!  The rough outline of the moon wasn't intended.  The black moon is the paper.  I traced the outline of a roll of painter's tape onto another sheet of paper, cut that circle out, and then used the tape to hold it down onto the paper I was sketching on, basically as a shield.  I then used the Mellish method, but found the inner white wasn't nearly bright and vibrant enough, so I just did that outline with a pastel.  Then I removed the "shield" paper and used a pink colored pencil for the prominences, but I had a hard time with that.  A pink pastel would have been better but I couldn't find one bright enough.  I was eventually able to get the colored pencil to work out alright, but they came out unrealistically large in my opinion.

Edited by robcac26, 12 April 2024 - 03:52 PM.

• AstroBoyInTheCity likes this

#5 astrohamp

astrohamp

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts, Vermont way up north sometimes

Posted 12 April 2024 - 04:46 PM

A Jackson Pollock est incredible representation of an amazing celestial event. 

Ok yes, it truly is growing on me in a good way.

Thanks for sharing your thoughtful view as some of us need a visual to hold on to a moment. 

• cpman likes this

#6 Special Ed

Special Ed

Hubble

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 12 April 2024 - 04:48 PM

That's a nice sketch. It captures the intensity of the event very well.
  • cpman likes this

#7 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 13 April 2024 - 11:00 AM

Hi,

Nice sketch of Solar Eclipse (From Vermont) smile.gif .

CDS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#8 Warmvet

Warmvet

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hawaii

Posted 13 April 2024 - 12:15 PM

This is a wonderful sketch, it brings out the intensity of the observation very well. I think concentrating on the eclipse and later putting it on paper is the way to do it. The time is just too short and precious.

Cindy

#9 AstroBoyInTheCity

AstroBoyInTheCity

Explorer 1

Posted 13 April 2024 - 06:26 PM

Thanks!  The rough outline of the moon wasn't intended.  The black moon is the paper.  I traced the outline of a roll of painter's tape onto another sheet of paper, cut that circle out, and then used the tape to hold it down onto the paper I was sketching on, basically as a shield.  I then used the Mellish method, but found the inner white wasn't nearly bright and vibrant enough, so I just did that outline with a pastel.  Then I removed the "shield" paper and used a pink colored pencil for the prominences, but I had a hard time with that.  A pink pastel would have been better but I couldn't find one bright enough.  I was eventually able to get the colored pencil to work out alright, but they came out unrealistically large in my opinion.

Very interesting technique of creating a mask like that! I haven't started playing pastels in my astronomy drawings as of yet, but seeing the intensity of the white in your drawing and in others, I may need to give it a shot!

I have worked with pastels and color pencils in the past tho, and yah, trying to use pencil over pastel will always make the pencil more difficult to adhere to the surface. If the pastel isn't too thickly applied, one thing I've done in the past is to apply a layer of spray fixative over the pastel before switching to pencil. This can help to create a more solid surface for the pencil to adhere to than the straight pastel.

For the size of the prominences, It's always easier to add rather than take away, so starting with thin and light lines can help to define the shape. Once you're happy with the shape and size you can slowly start to layer more lightly sketched lines overlapping the initial drawing until it's the right vibrance and size. Take your time and sit up from time to time so you can see the image as a whole. It helps to see if you've got enough down or if you need to keep building up the shape and color.

Hope that helps!

#10 robcac26

robcac26

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2024 - 09:03 PM

Very interesting technique of creating a mask like that! I haven't started playing pastels in my astronomy drawings as of yet, but seeing the intensity of the white in your drawing and in others, I may need to give it a shot!

I have worked with pastels and color pencils in the past tho, and yah, trying to use pencil over pastel will always make the pencil more difficult to adhere to the surface. If the pastel isn't too thickly applied, one thing I've done in the past is to apply a layer of spray fixative over the pastel before switching to pencil. This can help to create a more solid surface for the pencil to adhere to than the straight pastel.

For the size of the prominences, It's always easier to add rather than take away, so starting with thin and light lines can help to define the shape. Once you're happy with the shape and size you can slowly start to layer more lightly sketched lines overlapping the initial drawing until it's the right vibrance and size. Take your time and sit up from time to time so you can see the image as a whole. It helps to see if you've got enough down or if you need to keep building up the shape and color.

Hope that helps!

Good advice on the fixative.  I have a bottle of it but never use it because when I sprayed it over my first sketch, I feel like it was too wet and just dissolved a lot of the pastel dust and made the whole thing very dim as a result.  Maybe I just used it incorrectly, but I'll keep your advice in mind for next time I try to use a colored pencil.

I tried to make the prominences smaller at first, but the strokes were too short to leave any color on the paper.  Maybe using your idea with the fixative would have prevented that, or even just using a bigger piece of paper.  Appreciate the feedback!

• AstroBoyInTheCity likes this

#11 frank5817

frank5817

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 13 April 2024 - 11:59 PM

I like the way you handled the intensity of the corona.

frank :)

• cpman likes this

#12 AstroBoyInTheCity

AstroBoyInTheCity

Explorer 1

Posted 14 April 2024 - 12:15 AM

I have a bottle of it but never use it because when I sprayed it over my first sketch, I feel like it was too wet and just dissolved a lot of the pastel dust and made the whole thing very dim as a result.  

I go outside and hold the spray can about 3 feet from the paper and spray very quick 1/2 second bursts while moving the bottle across the page to let the fixative loosely drift down onto the paper. 5 or 6 bursts like this usually does the trick to keep my charcoal set on the page.

This kind of technique should help to avoid too much of that 'wet' buildup.

Definitely works best with no wind!

• robcac26 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics