•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need help advice cleaning ASI2600mm Window/Sensor

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mugrelo

Mugrelo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2024 - 03:10 AM

Hello everyone,

I had my ZWO technician address an oil leak issue in my camera, which they successfully resolved. However, I'm now encountering a doughnut-shaped artifact in all my photos. I've cleaned the protective window and filters, but the issue persists. I even used an air pump to remove dust from the sensor and protective window interior, yet the doughnut remains. Before attempting a deep cleaning of the sensor by opening the sealed chamber, I'm seeking advice. Do you believe the doughnut is caused by dust on the sensor, or could it be elsewhere in the optics? I'm hesitant to open the sealed chamber again, so I'd appreciate your guidance in ensuring the doughnut is indeed on the sensor before proceeding.

https://drive.google...ew?usp=drivesdk

#2 BKMaynard

BKMaynard

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryville, Il. (st.louis area)

Posted 12 April 2024 - 03:53 AM

Yes, thats a bit annoying but flats should take care of that. You should make sure everything else is clean in the optical path. I don't think opening up the camera is a big deal, I do it often for cleaning and recharging the desiccant plugs. Just don't use anything too harsh for cleaning. I use distilled water with just a tiny bit of alcohol, works good.

#3 Mugrelo

Mugrelo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2024 - 04:28 AM

Indeed but it’s a big issue because the problem lies in the fact that this is a £2600 camera still under warranty. I've already sent it in twice for repairs due to an oil leak, and on the second repair, they returned it with dust inside. This represents a significant depreciation in the value of my product, and it's not due to any fault of my own.

Edited by Mugrelo, 12 April 2024 - 04:29 AM.

• jaydeepappas likes this

#4 Tapio

Tapio

Voyager 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 12 April 2024 - 06:11 AM

You have on big obvious dust mote. That looks so big that it at least in cover glass (or farther).

Here you can calculate where it is:

https://astronomy.to...tion_calculator

You will always have dust motes no matter how 'clean' you are. Flat frames are for it.

• Mugrelo likes this

#5 Mugrelo

Mugrelo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2024 - 07:11 AM

Thank you! I'm delighted to hear that. The calculator is indeed amazing. While I can remove it with flats, its size is significant enough I really want to remove it altogether. Now I need to figure out how to calculate the size of the dust in pixels.

#6 Mugrelo

Mugrelo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2024 - 07:26 AM

The calculator shows that is at ~1cm from the sensor. So the dust must be located in the protective window of the camera
  • jdupton likes this

#7 fmendes

fmendes

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Houston, TX

Posted 12 April 2024 - 10:39 AM

You should be able to see that mote with naked eye or with a magnifying lens. I never cleaned a 2600 but I frequently clean my 294. It's a much easier camera to open, as I can remove the whole front or just the glass window. I usually fill the chamber with argon after cleaning.

• Mugrelo likes this

#8 jaydeepappas

jaydeepappas

Viking 1

Posted 13 April 2024 - 09:19 AM

I will agree, I think that it is unfair (not using the words I really want here) that ZWO would return the camera this way. Obviously flats will correct it but to me that isn’t really the point. It devalues the camera at no fault of your own and ZWO should know better than to send a camera back with a big dust mote inside the glass.

That being said, sending the camera back to ZWO kind of sucks, especially because I bet their turn around time isn’t too quick. So I would try getting things figured out on your own first and if it doesn’t work out then shoot them another email. Just another story about ZWO customer service woes.

Edited by jaydeepappas, 13 April 2024 - 09:19 AM.

• Mugrelo likes this

#9 Mugrelo

Mugrelo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2024 - 02:55 AM

I followed ZWO instructions to locate the dust and dedicated most of my Sunday to capturing various flats with and without the Barlow lens, cleaning, and then capturing new flats again.

Despite multiple cleaning attempts of the protective window and sensor, the dust most persists in the exact same spot,. The dust must be inside the sensor in a place that is not possible to reach without dissembling the sensor. So it likely picked up the dirt during the second repair of the dust leak. Please refer to the attached pictures taken with and without the Barlow lens. Despite all my efforts, the dust spot remains consistently in the same position after several cleaning attempts.

As you'll notice, the sensor gets new dust mots after each cleaning attempt but there's consistently always a black spot in the photos with Barlow or a doughnut shape in the photos without the Barlow, always in the same location and very close to the sensor which I cant clean.

I'm still awaiting a response from ZWO, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. Do you think it's possible for dust to be inside the camera in a spot that can't be reached without disassembling the sensor? The sensor appears very clean, so I'm puzzled as to where else the dust could be. Thank you!

#10 drmikevt

drmikevt

Apollo

• Loc: Burlington, VT

Posted 17 April 2024 - 07:31 AM

I would think that if the mote was truly on the sensor or sensor cover, it would not be affected by a Barlow.  Why would it be?  If it's affected by the Barlow then it must be in front (telescope side) of the Barlow.  

Anyway, this seems logical to me, but maybe the difference in light cone from the Barlow or not is what makes the difference.  In all of your posts, you focus on the sensor but have you looked down the scope with a very bright light?  Even if the mote is at the sensor (which its not) you should be able to see it clearly.  Have you tried different filters or looked at your filters?  

• Mugrelo likes this

#11 Mugrelo

Mugrelo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2024 - 08:17 AM

Thank you for your reply. I've experimented with different filters, configurations, and even removed the secondary mirror of my SCT. The only remaining possibility is either the primary mirror or the protective lens of the scope. But according to ZWO guidance the dust mot is in the sensor as I have a black round spot very similar to the one that they show on their guide
https://i.zwoastro.c...Quick_Guide.pdf

#12 scopewizard

scopewizard

Apollo

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 17 April 2024 - 08:42 AM

Get a camera sensor cleaning kit from Amazon. I did and cleaned my asi2600 a couple of times.

It is not difficult.

You will need 2 sticks, one for the internal window and one for the sensor.

First use a blower on the internal window and sensor.

Apply the liquid on the edge of one swipe stick.

With a light pressure, immediately swipe across the internal window at a 45° angle, note the direction.

Rotate the stick to the other side and swipe again in the same direction.

Do the same for the sensor with a NEW stick. Throw these away when done, never reuse.

Test with flat..

If need be do it again

I have cleaned many of my dlsr camera sensor using this method, these sensors are the same.

I use this kit - UES APS16 Digital DSLR Reflex and Mirrorless Camera APS-C Sensor Cleaning Kit

Follow the directions on the box.

https://www.amazon.c...T1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Edited by scopewizard, 17 April 2024 - 08:48 AM.

• OrionSword and Mugrelo like this

#13 Mugrelo

Mugrelo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2024 - 10:07 AM

Thank you for responding. I already did that. I purchased the cleaning product and applied it. However, the spot persists. ZWO has responded now suggesting that I may have inadvertently introduced dust into the sensor during cleaning. Yet, I'm certain the spot was there before I attempted to clean it. 🤣. I will send the camera to ZWO to clean the interior part of the sensor. Thanks for all your responses so far

#14 erictheastrojunkie

erictheastrojunkie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Salt Lake City

Posted 17 April 2024 - 12:37 PM

You can just take off the sensor window/top of the camera, it's held on to the camera body under the tilt plate, it's 6 screws and it comes off easily. Then just clean the under side of the window or get some sensor swabs and clean the sensor itself, takes maybe 15 minutes start to finish and is really really easy. This isn't something to be upset about, any photography worth their beans should (and will at some point) have to clean their sensor because of dust, it's just part of the business. It's certainly not worth fussing ZWO over and sending your camera back to them costing you time away from the camera. 

BTW, anyone worried about cleaning their camera sensor, it's not something to worry about. The sensor itself is not exposed, it still has glass over it, so when you clean the actual sensor you aren't risking damaging it. I've done it to many cameras over the years, including ZWO cameras. Also, not sure why you paid 2,600pounds for the asi2600mc, it's not that expensive, brand new it's 1,600 pounds in the UK. 

Edited by erictheastrojunkie, 17 April 2024 - 12:37 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics