•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vixen/Losmandy rail for DSLR + Guider on AM5

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 solarity

solarity

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 12 April 2024 - 08:58 AM

My old man has a AM5 and I want to get him a budget rail to mount his D850 to as well as a guide scope. I want to get something pretty long and mount the guider below and the camer above the rail, though as many rails I see are hollow on the bottom, I am curious if I can mount a guide scope to the bottom of it. He isn't the most technical and I live about 1200 miles away, so that makes trial and error a bit of a struggle.

#2 bbasiaga

bbasiaga

Soyuz

Posted 12 April 2024 - 11:37 AM

You can use something like this: https://agenaastro.c...lver-ff556.html

To clamp something on to the bottom of the Vixen style bar.  Note, you want to shop around a bit to make sure you find one that's got the proper holes for whatever the guide scope rings/foot are.  I just grabbed the first one that I saw as an example. 

You can find Vixen sytle bars that are plain, or you may be able to find one with a series of holes along the centerline.  This would allow the use of a 1/4-20 screw which most cameras have as a mounting point on the bottom.  So screw the camera in on 'top' of the bar, clamp the guide scope on the bottom.  

I'm not sure what the AM5 clamp looks like, but if it is a moving jaw (instead of just 2-3 jamb screws) then an alternative could be to get a long arca-swiss rail.  Similar clamps to the above are available for arca rails, and with certain mounts their vixen style clamp can do well with arca rails.   But you'd want to test that, which may be difficult from 1200miles away.  

#3 alanturner

alanturner

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 12 April 2024 - 03:41 PM

i  used the longest Apertura vixen bar.  1/4 20 bolts to the uniguide.  same bolts from underneath in the slot for camera.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics