•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astronomy Popup at Optics Conference

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PhillyMoonMan

PhillyMoonMan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Berlin

Posted 13 April 2024 - 12:12 AM

Hi all,

We brought our telescope to SPIE Photonics Europe 2024. There were thousands of scientists, lens designers, and illumination engineers in attendance. To our surprise, a lot of them had never looked through a telescope before.

We performed a marathon session of outreach to promote the idea of sidewalk astronomy à la John Dobson: just take your telescope into the middle of the street. In the end, we clocked 22 hours of observations in 3 days, with the Sun, moon, and Jupiter. I didn't track the number of people that looked through the eyepiece but it was probably somewhere around 900.

By the way, we weren't registered for this conference. We just sort of showed up and stood outside!

photo_2024-04-13_07-06-17.jpg

Edited by PhillyMoonMan, 13 April 2024 - 12:13 AM.

• Traveler, maroubra_boy, mdowns and 5 others like this

#2 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Aurora

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 13 April 2024 - 12:20 AM

I love what you guys did! bow.gif

• Diana N likes this

#3 fizicksteacher

fizicksteacher

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: San Antonio

Posted 15 April 2024 - 11:20 PM

Bravo!  I can't get enough of seeing/ hearing someone look through a telescope at Jupiter, Saturn, or the Sun for the 1st time.  I love all targets, but those three are sure to get an audible reaction. Random telescope opportunities are the best. I love stopping people and asking them if they want to take a look.  I am always surprised by how after one or two people look, a line forms if there are more people about.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics