•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Short Period Pulsators Newsletter

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 smithrrlyr

smithrrlyr

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 13 April 2024 - 09:13 AM

The AAVSO Short Period Pulsators section recently started a newsletter (it's on the SPP observing section page of the AAVSO website and at the link below).  Targets noted in the first newsletter are the unusual double-mode RR Lyrae star V338 Boo and two RR Lyrae with the Blazhko effect and changing periods, RS Boo and SZ Hya.  I am the editor of the newsletter, and I would very much like to hear ideas about what should go into future issues.  Suggestions I've already received include: (1) more targets with discussions of why they are important, (2) observing tips, (3)  something about SPP and spectroscopic observations, (4) articles by researchers in the field, and (5) accounts by SPP observers of their observing setups.  I would love to hear more ideas.  The SPP program has emphasized delta Scuti variables, RR Lyrae stars, and the shorter period Cepheids. So, whether you are an SPP observer or just someone interested in those variables, what would you like to see in future newsletters?

SPP newsletter: https://www.aavso.or..._March_2024.pdf

• pbealo, lee14 and AstroPhotog like this

#2 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Vanguard

• Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 13 April 2024 - 09:38 AM

Horace (I presume),

This is a great idea and prefect for new observers like my current batch of students in the AAVSO CCD 1&2 class. Many new CCD/CMOS observers don't have a firm idea as to what sort of observing program they might be interested in pursuing. Suggesting something concrete and timely is an excellent way to encourage giving particular kinds of variables a try that might lead to a program that keeps them engaged. Heck, as a EB guy almost entirely, I think I will try SPP myself.

Yes, future news letters. I presume on the SPP Observing Section but also here on this forum to generate interest in the larget community interested in scientific observing.

Kudos,

Ed

• PrestonE, pbealo, lee14 and 1 other like this

#3 robin_astro

robin_astro

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: UK

Posted 13 April 2024 - 12:12 PM

(3)  something about SPP and spectroscopic observations

I have done some work on radial velocity measurements of a few SPP eg see this presentation to the BAA VSS 19:30 - 28:30

https://britastro.or...obin-leadbeater

Robin

• smithrrlyr likes this

#4 smithrrlyr

smithrrlyr

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 13 April 2024 - 08:03 PM

Robin,

Thanks for the link.  I'll check that out.

Horace

#5 Josch Hambsch

Josch Hambsch

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 April 2024 - 03:00 PM

I have observed SZ Hya since mid of March 2024 on an nearly nightly basis from my remote observatory ROAD in Chile.

Data are with the AAVSO.

Regards,

Josch

• smithrrlyr likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics