•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Subs are wrong dimensions....why?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Desertanimal

Desertanimal

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2024 - 09:47 AM

So all of the sudden my light subs are 3008x3004 and Siril won't stack them because they are different dimensions than my calibrations, which are 3008x3008. So the script fails.

I was shooting M81/82 last week and about 4 out of 100+ subs were also 3008x3004 the rest were correct at 3008x3008. I just deleted those few and moved on.

Last night I was imaging same target and ALL of the subs are 3008x3004. I have no idea why or how. I can't choose my sensor size!!!

This is with my QHY533C

Here is a link to a sub https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by Desertanimal, 13 April 2024 - 09:55 AM.

#2 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Cosmos

Posted 13 April 2024 - 10:05 AM

I had the same issue with some of my cameras. I had the problem mostly when I used Nina and tried to use my existing calibration masters made with the SkyX. I raised the issue around Nina with the developer. He got a  bit defensive- so I did not use Nina ever again and have moved entirely to SGP pro. I still don't truly understand what the issue can be caused by.

#3 hyiger

hyiger

Aurora

• Loc: East Bay, CA

Posted 13 April 2024 - 10:26 AM

So all of the sudden my light subs are 3008x3004 and Siril won't stack them because they are different dimensions than my calibrations, which are 3008x3008. So the script fails.

I was shooting M81/82 last week and about 4 out of 100+ subs were also 3008x3004 the rest were correct at 3008x3008. I just deleted those few and moved on.

Last night I was imaging same target and ALL of the subs are 3008x3004. I have no idea why or how. I can't choose my sensor size!!!

This is with my QHY533C

Here is a link to a sub https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks!

I don't know how 4 rows of pixels can be missing unless there is a hardware issue with the camera. When you took your flats for that session are they the same dimension as the lights? 

I'm not a Siril user but in PixInsight (for example) you can batch rescale the lights to match the calibration frames. 

#4 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 13 April 2024 - 10:44 AM

This is caused by mixing camera drivers - native versus ASCOM. You can use the ASCOM driver or the Native driver in both the SKYX and NINA. So, you have to be careful not ot mismatch drivers or this can happen.

I've never worked out why this happens but I've seen it with more than one of my cameras. So, it's best to take your calibration frames using the same driver that you used for the lights. 

I don't see how PI can accurately select and rescale for 4 rows of missing pixels, though. I think I'd be leery of the results of doing that. Instead, it's probably best to just crop the images so that they are all the same size before starting your calibration run. 

I don't really know why you'd get just 4 out of a hundred mismatched, though. Maybe the run was restarted at some point in the evening. 

#5 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Hubble

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 13 April 2024 - 11:06 AM

I wanted to second the admonition that you cannot used resized frames as calibration frames. If you resize an image, the errant pixel in the light frame will not match that in the flat or dark. So you may be correcting a perfectly good pixel while leaving the defective one untreated.

Alex

#6 pedxing

pedxing

Gemini

• Loc: SE Alaska

Posted 13 April 2024 - 11:25 AM

Also, if you choose to crop,you will have to figure out which edge is missing pixels and crop accordingly, otherwise calibration won't work correctly.

It can be done but it is better to figure out what is causing the problem. My money is on native vs ascom camera drivers...

#7 Desertanimal

Desertanimal

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2024 - 11:35 AM

Drivers!
In a previous post I stated my scope wouldn’t center after the flip. The error said ascom driver error.
Yesterday I updated nina to 3.0. When I started nina it said ascom sp1 was out of date so I updated ascom to sp 2.

The calibrations (flats) are from previous sessions. Last week most likely. (Old drivers) I’m lazy and it works 🤷. Until today!!

Equipment isis permanently set up.

Ross, so are you saying if I just reshoot all my calibrations they will all be the “new” dimension, and I just move on?

If I’d prefer 3008x3008. Which I do, will the native drivers provide that? How do I use the qhy drivers? Ascom is doing other things also isn’t it? I don’t want to just remove it, or do I?

Thanks for the suggestions!

I will add that the 4 odd subs were at the end of a session. Then I did two more nights on a different target with no issues on dimensions. But those two sessions did end with the ascom error.

Edited by Desertanimal, 13 April 2024 - 12:01 PM.

#8 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 13 April 2024 - 04:30 PM

I'm saying something slightly different from what you wrote (I think).

If you use NINA for (QHY or ZWO) lights then you must also use if for flat/darks/bias frames using the same camera driver selection in the NINA drop down. There are 2 ways to select a QHY (or ZWO) camera in NINA. You can start with "Ascom Camera" and then select the correct camera using the ASCOM driver. OR you can start with ZWO ASI Camera1(or2) directly.

In the former case you are using the ASCOM driver written by QHY (or ZWO). In the latter case you are using the "native" driver which has a wrapper built by the NINA developers. So, if you are using NINA stick to one driver. 

If you are using the SKYX, it's much the same thing. You can select ZWO camera and use the X2 (native) driver or you can select ASCOM Camera and use the ASCOM driver.  Just don't mix the two drivers and I predict (boldly) that you will get the same cound of x and y pixels. 

Hope that's clearer.

#9 sharkmelley

sharkmelley

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: UK

Posted 13 April 2024 - 04:52 PM

This is a problem that comes up relatively frequently.  Don't mix acquisition software, drivers or file types (i.e. raw vs FITS vs TIFFs.  Take your lights and calibration frames all with the same software, the same drivers and the same file types.

#10 Desertanimal

Desertanimal

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2024 - 06:36 PM

I’ve only used nina for all of my sessions. For quite a while now. This driver issue just popped up all by itself, I hadn’t made any changes. Then updated nina and ascom and basically made the intermittent problem constant. Yay!

#11 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:17 PM

I’ve only used nina for all of my sessions. For quite a while now. This driver issue just popped up all by itself, I hadn’t made any changes. Then updated nina and ascom and basically made the intermittent problem constant. Yay!

Are you connecting via the native QHY driver? 

Did you accidentally switch on or off the overscan mode in NINA? 

Edited by unimatrix0, 13 April 2024 - 07:23 PM.

• Dennis_Oz likes this

#12 Desertanimal

Desertanimal

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2024 - 09:23 PM

Are you connecting via the native QHY driver? 

This seems to be the issue, due to updating and not being 100% sure what I'm doing. I've just now connected to the remote computer and NINA and in the drop down of the camera page I am using the QHY533C (d2a32387). The part in parenthesis is new since the update, at least I think. Below that on the drop down are the ascom options: Cameras-capture, cameras2-capture, cameras-guider and 2 simulators.

So I am connecting via the QHY native driver, correct? --After connecting the camera in NINA it does in fact say "Driver info   Native driver for qhyccd cameras."

I wonder if in the past I was connecting with the ascom drivers. (Hence the "change").  I really didn't pay attention much. It's so plug and play now I just pick a target and check on it later, everything usually just goes without a hitch.

I don't know what the overscan mode is. I'll check. (it's off).

Is there a way to look at my old lights that are the correct dimensions, 3008x3008 and see what drivers I was connected to then?

Thanks!

Edited by Desertanimal, 13 April 2024 - 09:41 PM.

#13 Desertanimal

Desertanimal

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2024 - 10:01 PM

OK, It seems to be fixed.

What I've done is connected via Ascom and hit the gears and checked the box that says "remove overscan area". That made the snapshots 3008x3008. Without that box checked the image dimensions were 3008x3028.

The native drivers gave me snapshots that were 3008x3004. Even though on the camera page when connected to native is says the Sensor Y size is 3028. The native driver gives you no gear icon, it is greyed out.

This is really crazy. I've never run into this before.

Well, I need to shoot new flats anyway since I rotated the camera during this drama. So let's see how this session turns out.

Thanks for all the guidance!!!

• rgsalinger likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics