•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skymak Pro 180 tips?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 seven_legs

seven_legs

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2024 - 10:38 AM

hi all,

My first post, i think.

Anyway, i have ordered the Skymax 180, which could take up to four weeks to come.

So i thought i asked for some tips from owners the the scope.

I know the scope has a long cool down time and about the image flop, which i intent to get a dual focuser in the future.

This scope, i think will complement my other scope the Starwave 152mm F5.9 V3 Red Tube Achromat Refractor. The Skymax will mostly be used on planets, moon and Globulars and Doubles.

Its funny i have never has a slow f ratio scope before. The most i have is F5.9

The Skymax will sit on my ioptron az mount pro.

Thanks all

• Alfredo Agustoni likes this

#2 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 13 April 2024 - 02:42 PM

Welcome to C/N! flowerred.gif

Unless you live in a very temperate climate, making a Reflectix jacket for the scope will allow you to take the scope out and avoid the cooling down process. I use it on cold Winter nights and it works great waytogo.gif

https://www.amazon.c...ps,1282&sr=8-41.

• seven_legs and Michael_G like this

#3 maroubra_boy

maroubra_boy

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:55 PM

seven_legs, your asking about the cooling period for this Mak shows you are not familiar with how insulating Maks & SCT's has left the cooling problem far behind!  What once saw these scopes the slowest scope designs to acclimate, insulating these scopes has turned this on its head where these scope now have ZERO wait period while ever other scope design still has a wait period.

sevenofnine has mentioned a material like Reflective to use as the insulating material.  As the effectiveness of the insulating wrap depends on a few factors, if you fine one layer is not providing the kill factor to the heat plume, don't be afraid to add an additional layer or two to the wrap.  You cannot overdo the insulation but you can underdo it.

Reflectix type materials are not the only material that can be used to make the insulating wrap.  I have used a yoga mat to outstanding effect and now I use a sheet of Coreflute.  These materials are also much more robust than Reflectix types as they can take the removal and replacement of the wrap.  Best practice is to not keep the wrap on the scope when you are going to stow it.  These insulation wraps not only slow the cooling period of these scopes so that the heat plume is not able to be generated, the wrap also helps prevent the worst of dew from settling on the scope.

As far as the scope is concerned, this is a very good instrument.  Whoever is making the optics for Synta is doing an outstanding job as their manufacturing process have been refined over the years this scope has been offered.  The very first units (in the gold tube) were all very good, with the current crop have even better.  I have not come across a single unit that has been anything but excellent and certainly no lemons.

The only weakness is the blasted focusing mechanism that Synta insists on keeping with these scopes.  The mirror shift is small, but it just shouldn't be there, and this also plagues SCT's.

• seven_legs likes this

#4 seven_legs

seven_legs

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2024 - 05:32 AM

thanks for the info, both off you, i will bear that in mind

#5 Michael_G

Michael_G

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Havelock, North Carolina

Posted 15 April 2024 - 10:38 AM

I have this scope and use it for planetary imaging and visual, it does really well. maroubra_boy is right about the mirror shift, it is a bit of pain when planetary imaging but not so bothersome to me for visual. Your second focuser should solve that, that's the direction I'm heading too with that Scope. I'd get something to combat dew if you live in a dew prone area, I bought a dew sheild for it, so far so good.

• seven_legs likes this

#6 ChristianG

ChristianG

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 15 April 2024 - 04:27 PM

Hello.

Good choice, as long as you have a good finder scope... I bought a 6-screw finderscope holder from Amazon (SVBONY) and use it to hold very strongly a regular 50 mm cheapo finder. It's amazing on planets and the Moon, and also for smaller nebulae like the ring nebula in Lyra. Mine is an old one with 1.25" visual back. With an ES 68 24 mm eyepiece (a bit overkill, but it's for maximizing field of view), that's quite nice. There is a lot of light gathered and I enjoy the view via binoviewer (Wiliam Optics) and a pair of cheap 66 degrees 15 mm eyepieces for 1 mm exit pupil. A pair of 19 mm Panoptics goes in sometimes! The f-ratio is so long that cheap eyepieces work well. Make sure it's at ambient temperature, these instruments have a tell-tale pattern of heat plumes when not equilibrated. Without insulation, equilibration could take 1 hr. Mine stays in the doghouse all the time... The objective cap keeps falling off, but otherwise the instrument is very well built and has a bullseye diffraction pattern--even after being shipped from California to Canada (bought it used). Have fun!

--Christian

PS In my old place, it used to live under a tarp on my rooftop terrace...

Attached Thumbnails

• 180mmMak_s.jpg
  • video0002.jpg
  • 180_Winter.jpg

• seven_legs likes this

#7 seven_legs

seven_legs

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2024 - 08:49 AM

Hello.

Good choice, as long as you have a good finder scope... I bought a 6-screw finderscope holder from Amazon (SVBONY) and use it to hold very strongly a regular 50 mm cheapo finder. It's amazing on planets and the Moon, and also for smaller nebulae like the ring nebula in Lyra. Mine is an old one with 1.25" visual back. With an ES 68 24 mm eyepiece (a bit overkill, but it's for maximizing field of view), that's quite nice. There is a lot of light gathered and I enjoy the view via binoviewer (Wiliam Optics) and a pair of cheap 66 degrees 15 mm eyepieces for 1 mm exit pupil. A pair of 19 mm Panoptics goes in sometimes! The f-ratio is so long that cheap eyepieces work well. Make sure it's at ambient temperature, these instruments have a tell-tale pattern of heat plumes when not equilibrated. Without insulation, equilibration could take 1 hr. Mine stays in the doghouse all the time... The objective cap keeps falling off, but otherwise the instrument is very well built and has a bullseye diffraction pattern--even after being shipped from California to Canada (bought it used). Have fun!

--Christian

PS In my old place, it used to live under a tarp on my rooftop terrace...

lovely set up you have got and a nice shot of Jupiter.

#8 ChristianG

ChristianG

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 16 April 2024 - 02:15 PM

Thanks!

My neighbour and I pooled our resources and built a modest observatory. It's a NexDome 8' unit.

Looking forward to next Fall/Winter. Jupiter and Saturn will be even higher in the sky at their opposition!

--Christian

Edited by ChristianG, 16 April 2024 - 02:16 PM.

#9 seven_legs

seven_legs

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2024 - 03:12 AM

Thats one of the reasons I have ordered the 180 pro was for next Autumn/ Winter Jupiter, Mars and Saturn show.

I was originally going to buy the Skymax 180 around next September, but could not resist ordering it now. Gives me a chance to know the scope i supposelol.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics