•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI533MC: A good camera for EAA ?

Double Star EAA
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SouthWestAstro

SouthWestAstro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2024 - 02:54 PM

I've come to EAA after doing astrophotography for a few years (I still do that as well). Recently I started to look at EAA for double stars with my refractors (TV-85, FC-100DZ and ES127 CF FCD100). My set up is the scope mounted on an ZWO AM5 controlled by an ASIAIR. I need a camera with a large enough sensor that the ASIAIR can plate solve for polar alignment and GOTO. I have several cameras for planetary (ASI462MC), solar (ASI174MM) and DSO (ASI294MC Pro, ASI533MC Pro) imaging. Based on what I've seen others using, the 174MM and the 533MC seem the best suited to EAA. 

For double stars I've been quite pleased with the 533MC. I use video for the imaging and by cutting the ROI one can get quite high frames rates (100fps or more). There's  freedom to adjusting the gain and exposure time to optimize the display of doubles where the stars differ in size and brightness.

I wonder if ZWO might consider selling an uncooled version of the 533MC.

I'd be interested in hearing the perspective from more experienced EAA hobbyists.

#2 Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan

Lagopus lagopus

• Loc: Arctic

Posted 13 April 2024 - 03:49 PM

I do not use the 533 based camera. ZWO does have a uncooled 533MC. IMX533 sensor are often used for EAA.

#3 Mark Lovik

Mark Lovik

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 April 2024 - 03:54 PM

The 'best' camera depends on the scope you use it on, and your interests in the sky.

The 533 is a good choice for your larger refractor (127mm) and can be used for wide angle (and lower resolution) imaging with your smaller scopes.

The 533 can easily plate solve the sky with any of the scopes you currently own.

#4 dave85374

dave85374

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 13 April 2024 - 04:07 PM

You can look at my gallery to see photos from my 533 that were taken with my Evolution 8 & HyperStar.

• SouthWestAstro likes this

#5 TheWhistler

TheWhistler

Mariner 2

• Loc: NJ

Posted 13 April 2024 - 06:47 PM

Did ZWO stop selling the uncooled 533MC? It's no longer listed anywhere. I have one I recently listed for sale.

#6 SouthWestAstro

SouthWestAstro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:15 PM

I do not use the 533 based camera. ZWO does have a uncooled 533MC. IMX533 sensor are often used for EAA.

Did ZWO stop selling the uncooled 533MC? It's no longer listed anywhere. I have one I recently listed for sale.

They don't seem to have an uncooled 533MC, only the 533MM monochrome which costs the same as the cooled 533MC Pro.

• GazingOli likes this

#7 GazingOli

GazingOli

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stuttgart GERMANY

Posted 13 April 2024 - 10:23 PM

The ASI 533 MC non cooled is discontinued. I even had an email correspondence about this matter with ZWO.

CS.Oli

#8 SouthWestAstro

SouthWestAstro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2024 - 11:47 PM

The ASI 533 MC non cooled is discontinued. I even had an email correspondence about this matter with ZWO.

CS.Oli

Shame but I guess they know what sells. 

#9 Udi

Udi

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 April 2024 - 04:53 AM

I wanted to have 533 for non-tracked EAA, i.e. not needing power besides connecting the USB to the laptop. However, ZWO are stressing you need tr cooler power even if not using cooling, to identify the camera by the host computer. Svbony SV605CC from the other hand, can be identified (I verified it with them). So I ordered one, just gpt it last week - and it work very well wit Sharpcap,  just with the USB cable and no external power (in no cooling mode).

• Far_Southern_Skies likes this

#10 GazingOli

GazingOli

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 April 2024 - 03:25 PM

The strange thing about the ASI 533 is, that ZWO started to produce it first only as a cooled PRO version. As I always wanted an uncooled version, I wrote to ZWO and asked, if they planned to produce and uncooled version. The answer at that time was: The ASI 533 was designed to be a DSO camera and an uncooled version does not make sense for DSO.

So I forgot about the ASI 533... Two years later I talked to a friend about this and learnt from him, that there is an uncooled version available. Next thing was to check with my local astro dealer and found out that there was even a promotion on this article. So I bought the last one that he got with a good discount. And I think I bought the last ASI 533 MC uncooled, that they sold so far.

Shortly after that ZWO seemed to have discontinued the ASI 533.

I am very happy with this camera, using it with my selfmade 80/480 triplet apo refractor.

CS.Oli

• LesBaker, MunichAtNight and SouthWestAstro like this

#11 rapture91

rapture91

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ulm, Germany

Posted 14 April 2024 - 03:51 PM

I also bought the uncooled 533 during its limited availability at my local astro dealer. As many others, I‘m very happy with that camera. It gets used with both my 8“ f/3.75 newt for galaxies, PNs etc. and for widefield with the Askar FMA180 Pro.

#12 SouthWestAstro

SouthWestAstro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2024 - 03:54 PM

The strange thing about the ASI 533 is, that ZWO started to produce it first only as a cooled PRO version. As I always wanted an uncooled version, I wrote to ZWO and asked, if they planned to produce and uncooled version. The answer at that time was: The ASI 533 was designed to be a DSO camera and an uncooled version does not make sense for DSO.

So I forgot about the ASI 533... Two years later I talked to a friend about this and learnt from him, that there is an uncooled version available. Next thing was to check with my local astro dealer and found out that there was even a promotion on this article. So I bought the last one that he got with a good discount. And I think I bought the last ASI 533 MC uncooled, that they sold so far.

Shortly after that ZWO seemed to have discontinued the ASI 533.

I am very happy with this camera, using it with my selfmade 80/480 triplet apo refractor.

CS.Oli

Nice story.

I believe that the ASI533MC Pro is among ZWO's biggest selling DSO cameras. Having an uncooled version would be nice for EAA. But I'm happy to carry on using the cooled version it for EAA. 

I will write to ZWO to find out why they don't sell the uncooled version any more.

#13 GazingOli

GazingOli

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 April 2024 - 04:05 PM

do it! Maybe there is a chance they put the camera back on production, if enough people ask for it. I think it is the ideal camera for EAA!

Strange thing is, that the MM version is still available uncooled. 

CS.Oli

Edited by GazingOli, 14 April 2024 - 04:07 PM.

#14 SouthWestAstro

SouthWestAstro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2024 - 06:18 PM

Just to add, there's a discussion of cameras for EAA in section 4.5 of this article on the Agena Astro website:

https://agenaastro.c...yers-guide.html

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Double Star, EAA

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics