•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Check my work on first telescope selection

Beginner
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 allanschon

allanschon

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cleveland, OH, USA

Posted 13 April 2024 - 04:11 PM

Hey there, I recently purchased a Star Adventurer GTI.  I've been using it with my fuji X-T5 and fuji 70-300 lens.  I have been fairly successful with the couple of images I've taken so far, and had a blast.  That said, the lens is a PITA to focus.  It uses a 'focus by wire' setup, so fine corrections are really difficult.  I'd really like to get my first scope.  I know that the payload for the GTI limits me somewhat, so I've been looking at a variety of scopes 61mm and less.  And while I'm at it, I think I'd like to get a guidescope and camera as well.

For the guiding setup, I think I'll be happy enough with the ZWO ASI120 mini and their 30mm mini guide scope.

For the telescope, here's what I've been looking at with my thoughts.

• Redcat 51: Seems like this is a common recommendation, but I've also seen a lot of folks point out that it's not the best bang for your buck.  
  • Sharpstar 50EDPH: Much less expensive, the widest FOV in the bunch, with the reducer.  Also the lightest option.
  • Apertura 60 FRL-53 (or Astro-Tech AT60ED): Much less expensive, much lighter, but I've seen some complaints about the single ring not being as study as you would hope..  Upshot, High Point is selling it in a bundle with a guide scope...
  • Astro-tech AT60EDP: I got really excited about this at first; seemed like a decent option.  Similar petzval design, slightly more aperture, but the weight seems a bit high for the GTI.  (Almost a full kilo more than the redcat.)
  • Sharpstar 61EDPH III: A little more aperture than the redcat; with both a flattener and a reducer available for a little bit of FOV flexibility.

Right now, I'm learning towards one of the two Sharpstar scopes.  Are there other similar scopes that I should be looking at?

The deciding factor between the two Sharpstar options is weight...   As much as I want the additional aperture from the 61, I should probably stick with the smaller scope, right?

From my spreadsheet, my full payload of camera, scope, and guiding, plus misc bits and bobs is 5.9lbs(2650g) for the 50mm, and 8.2lbs(3700g) for the 61...   

Anything I'm missing?  Thanks for any feedback you might have!

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 13 April 2024 - 06:16 PM

Hey there, I recently purchased a Star Adventurer GTI.  I've been using it with my fuji X-T5 and fuji 70-300 lens.  I have been fairly successful with the couple of images I've taken so far, and had a blast.  That said, the lens is a PITA to focus.  It uses a 'focus by wire' setup, so fine corrections are really difficult.  I'd really like to get my first scope.  I know that the payload for the GTI limits me somewhat, so I've been looking at a variety of scopes 61mm and less.  And while I'm at it, I think I'd like to get a guidescope and camera as well.

For the guiding setup, I think I'll be happy enough with the ZWO ASI120 mini and their 30mm mini guide scope.

For the telescope, here's what I've been looking at with my thoughts.

• Redcat 51: Seems like this is a common recommendation, but I've also seen a lot of folks point out that it's not the best bang for your buck.  
  • Sharpstar 50EDPH: Much less expensive, the widest FOV in the bunch, with the reducer.  Also the lightest option.
  • Apertura 60 FRL-53 (or Astro-Tech AT60ED): Much less expensive, much lighter, but I've seen some complaints about the single ring not being as study as you would hope..  Upshot, High Point is selling it in a bundle with a guide scope...
  • Astro-tech AT60EDP: I got really excited about this at first; seemed like a decent option.  Similar petzval design, slightly more aperture, but the weight seems a bit high for the GTI.  (Almost a full kilo more than the redcat.)
  • Sharpstar 61EDPH III: A little more aperture than the redcat; with both a flattener and a reducer available for a little bit of FOV flexibility.

Right now, I'm learning towards one of the two Sharpstar scopes.  Are there other similar scopes that I should be looking at?

The deciding factor between the two Sharpstar options is weight...   As much as I want the additional aperture from the 61, I should probably stick with the smaller scope, right?

From my spreadsheet, my full payload of camera, scope, and guiding, plus misc bits and bobs is 5.9lbs(2650g) for the 50mm, and 8.2lbs(3700g) for the 61...   

Anything I'm missing?  Thanks for any feedback you might have!

You should stick with the shortest lightest fastest scope you can get.

You'll be using autoguiding software written by Dr, Craig Stark, who has a LOT of experience talking to beginners.  Here's what he says about the ideal scope to start with.  Notice that it's not just what he says, it's how he says it.

"As light as possible.

Seriously.

No, seriously.  <smile>

The other concerns you have are not necessarily wrong, they're just less important.

My recommendation is the Redcat 51.  Or the Akar FRA300.

https://agenaastro.c...-telescope.html

Not so minor point.  The guidescope is not optional.  A major beginner mistake is not autoguiding.

Edited by bobzeq25, 13 April 2024 - 06:20 PM.

#3 allanschon

allanschon

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2024 - 11:54 AM

You should stick with the shortest lightest fastest scope you can get.

You'll be using autoguiding software written by Dr, Craig Stark, who has a LOT of experience talking to beginners.  Here's what he says about the ideal scope to start with.  Notice that it's not just what he says, it's how he says it.

"As light as possible.

Seriously.

No, seriously.  <smile>

The other concerns you have are not necessarily wrong, they're just less important.

My recommendation is the Redcat 51.  Or the Akar FRA300.

https://agenaastro.c...-telescope.html

Not so minor point.  The guidescope is not optional.  A major beginner mistake is not autoguiding.

Thanks!  I probably should have included the stats of the scopes for comparison. Where a reducer or flattener is needed, I've included that in the weight and FL.  

Scope

Type

Aperture

Focal Length

Weight (g)

Sharpstar 50EDPH

Triplet

50mm

Apertura 60 FPL-53

Doublet

60mm

Askar FRA300 Pro

Petzval

60mm

Sharpstar 61EDPH

Triplet

61mm

360 (270)

WO Redcat 51

Petzval

51mm

Based on Dr Stark's advice, I'm leaning towards the Sharpstar 50.  I wish I could find more reviews of this tiny little guy.  Maybe once I feel like I know what I'm doing, I'll write one. :)

#4 allanschon

allanschon

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2024 - 11:55 AM

Well.  My little table of data didn't work out at all... lol..

#5 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 14 April 2024 - 10:43 PM

Well.  My little table of data didn't work out at all... lol..

It was readable.  They all look like decent choices.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics