•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I am not sure what if anything I am missing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gamefe

Gamefe

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:13 PM

First kit. 

am3 is ordered and on the way.

asiair, 72mm refractor, Zwo focuser, asi120 guide camera and guide scope is on the way.

I own a big celesteon power bank with a 12v10a (**edit I put 5a earlier by mistake**) car port looking plug, and usb out.

I am not sure if I am missing a cable thing. 

i am not sure but how do I provide power to everything?

if I understand correctly the

asi computer has a usb to EAF, AM3, dslr and  guide camera

asi computer has fancy shutter cable as well to dslr

ASI computer could have dew heaters (2x one for telescope and one for guide scope) in the power port things
the battery has 1x 12v10a port but both the computer and am3 require 12v5a… 

Do I need a second battery or did I miss something obvious?

do I have to buy a bunch of more stuff? If so I’m lost. 

would it be cheaper to spend the extra 500 on am5 that has a power out? 

Edited by Gamefe, 13 April 2024 - 09:10 PM.

#2 bbasiaga

bbasiaga

Soyuz

Posted 13 April 2024 - 08:38 PM

You'll benefit from a second power supply, or even a third. I have the big celesteon tank, and with two dew heaters going plus the mount, air and camera it burns up in 4-6 hours depending on the temperature outside. The dew heaters suck a lot of juice.

I went to a second power brick from Amazon just for the dew heaters and could then run a full night session.

Asi shutter cable is not needed unless yoir camera is not on the supported list. Then it will only work with the cable and you won't use a USB for it.

Power out on AM5 won't really save you from the battery drain.

Brian

#3 Gamefe

Gamefe

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2024 - 09:11 PM

I think I’ve figured out the obvious, there is such a thing as a splitter so each 5a device plugs into a 10a supply via a $10 splitter. 

#4 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 13 April 2024 - 11:11 PM

Hehe...don't worry. It's normal to be a bit overwhelmed at first. The ASIair will make the acquisition part as easy as it can be, but normally dew heaters will be RCA, so you might need 2.1mm adapters for those (often a dew shield is enough so try, even if you can't run the heaters at first). Just give it a shot, and don't be discouraged if it doesn't work right the first time. We'll be here to help when you have specific problems, but the first step is to put it all together and give it a go.

Regarding powering things; the thing to remember is that amps out always need to be more than amps in (meaning the supply can handle the load), and voltage always needs to be the same. 5v devices need 5v supplies, & 12v devices need 12v supplies. As long as you do both, you'll be fine.

Just give it a shot, and let us know if anything goes wrong, and we'll help you correct it. This hobby has a large trial-and-error component to it.

Edited by Oort Cloud, 13 April 2024 - 11:12 PM.

• Robert7980 likes this

#5 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 14 April 2024 - 07:15 AM

Your AM3 will work just fine.

You only need 2 dew heaters, one on the 72mm and one on the guide scope.  I use 12 volt dew heaters that I get from Agena Astro.  I cut the cables to length and solder on right angle Male 5.5mm x 2.1mm plugs.

I do not recommend using car cigarette lighter cords.  I prefer using cables wtih 5.5mm x 2.1mm plugs.

The most important thing about the power supply is its run time capacity in Watt Hours (Wh) the more the better.  

My power stations (I have 2 rigs) are rated at 320Wh.  My "big" rig (GEM45, AT130EDT yadda yadda) draws ~30 watts.  My "lttle" rig (AM3, AT80ED, yadda yadda) draws closer to 20 watts.

Both power staitons have a single 5.5mm x 2.1mm 12VDC 10Amp output.  I use a Y cable and I run a separte cable to Air and to the mount. 

Dew Heaters  5.5mm x 2.1mm plugs

#6 Gamefe

Gamefe

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2024 - 09:15 AM

Your AM3 will work just fine.

You only need 2 dew heaters, one on the 72mm and one on the guide scope.  I use 12 volt dew heaters that I get from Agena Astro.  I cut the cables to length and solder on right angle Male 5.5mm x 2.1mm plugs.

I do not recommend using car cigarette lighter cords.  I prefer using cables wtih 5.5mm x 2.1mm plugs.

The most important thing about the power supply is its run time capacity in Watt Hours (Wh) the more the better.  

My power stations (I have 2 rigs) are rated at 320Wh.  My "big" rig (GEM45, AT130EDT yadda yadda) draws ~30 watts.  My "lttle" rig (AM3, AT80ED, yadda yadda) draws closer to 20 watts.

Both power staitons have a single 5.5mm x 2.1mm 12VDC 10Amp output.  I use a Y cable and I run a separte cable to Air and to the mount. 

Dew Heaters  5.5mm x 2.1mm plugs

I have a 158wh and a 100wh battery.

i think the plan is to put the asiair and mount and hopefully a future cooled camera on a 5.1 split on the celestron 158wh

the smaller 100wh will power the two 12v svbony heaters (will order)

if this isn’t enough I’ll shop for something. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics