•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AstroImageJ Placing Apertures problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ant888nsmb2

ant888nsmb2

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Northern New Jersey, USA

Posted 13 April 2024 - 08:29 PM

Hi, I have .FITS files for the star WASP-10 that I received from NASA's exoplanet watch program to plot WASP-10 b's lightcurve. I am running into a problem when placing apertures, though. I keep getting this error: 

wcs.png

This error is preventing me from moving on, so if anyone knows how to fix this, it would be great.

Thank you

#2 NJScope

NJScope

Viking 1

• Loc: NJ

Posted 13 April 2024 - 09:10 PM

You need to do a plate solve on the first file in the image sequence and then re-import the same images

• ant888nsmb2 likes this

#3 ant888nsmb2

ant888nsmb2

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Northern New Jersey, USA

Posted 13 April 2024 - 10:23 PM

You need to do a plate solve on the first file in the image sequence and then re-import the same images

Ok I will try it now

#4 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Gemini

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 14 April 2024 - 07:07 AM

Antonio

It will be best(not required though) to plate solve all the images. That way you can call for AIJ to locate the apertures on each image file based on the RA and Dec of the target and each comp star. Otherwise be careful in how you instruct AIJ to align and place apertures on all the images after the first one that’s plate solved.

You might want to place your cursor on the target and ‘blink’ through all the other images to see how accurate the tracking was. If it was very good, then you can plate solve just the first image. If it wasn’t so good, you’re better off plate solving all the images .

Gary

#5 topcode

topcode

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 April 2024 - 03:22 PM

You dont need to plate solve at all technically, you have WCS mode selected, so it wants to use coordinates to find the target. If you want to skip that, you can turn WCS off, and just use it without any coordinates, without too much negative effects, though a few features wont be available for use, so its generally better to platesolve.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics