•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Yet another M82

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jinux

Jinux

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bay Area, CA

Posted 14 April 2024 - 12:55 AM

I always wanted to capture M82 but somehow failed and red flame never showed up.

This time, I was able to slap in 12Hrs of Oiii and 12Hrs of Ha on top of 8.7Hrs of RGB, composing with RGBHOO in APP and post processed in Startools.

First image using mono camera images and a lot to learn. Thanks for watching.

C11/F7, ASI2600MC+LPS-D2, ASI2600MM+Ha, Oiii filter (7nm).

gallery_28230_16823_95885.jpg

• F.Meiresonne, Jim Thommes, rwstanley and 13 others like this

#2 AdrianoMS

AdrianoMS

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Volta Redonda, Brazil

Posted 14 April 2024 - 10:41 AM

Cool image. I think that Startools is a hard-to-use software. I don't like Startools.

#3 Jinux

Jinux

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 April 2024 - 11:00 PM

Interesting... I thought Startools has very easy GUI to use, while I agree it's sometimes difficult to figure out which knob does what function though.

Once you go through the manual and get to know the process, it's quite easy.

Edited by Jinux, 15 April 2024 - 11:07 PM.

#4 Daveone

Daveone

Viking 1

• Loc: Czech republic

Posted 16 April 2024 - 12:06 AM

Interesting picture..H-Alfa is nice but honestly the collecting of OIII data here was wasted time...if you ,,invested,, those 12hours into RGB then the picture will be much more colorful with more diversed colors at the end. 

OIII filter is not a good choice for most of the galaxies (there is few exceptions of course  - example is M33) ...mos of the galaxies are simply too small to show any significant details in that emission line. I´m not telling there is no OIII emissions withing those galaxies but with common ,,hobby astro setups,, we are unable to distinguish them. Of course if you look at your final integration for OIII filter you will telll me that there is plenty of OIII there, but then I will tell you that you just ,,catch up,, the continuum which you did already in green and blue spectrum over common G and B filter anyway.

Just my fine cents.

David 

#5 Jinux

Jinux

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 April 2024 - 10:52 AM

Thanks David for the advice.

I also understand Oiii is waste of the time on M82. The reason I had that 12 hours on it is not because I wanted to have one but because I bought 2600MM with filter as a set and the order of filter in the wheel was unknown.

I asked the original owner and he vaguely recalls it would be LRGBSHO in the order but after the first night, I couldn't see the flame in the picture. So I took some experiment snapshots on Rosette nebula with filters and found the order is actually LRGBHOS. So my previously believed 12 hours of "Ha" was actually 12 hours of "Oiii", which is how I ended up having it.

I fired another full night with "L" yesterday. I'll add it and see whether I can get better picture.  

Edited by Jinux, 16 April 2024 - 10:54 AM.

#6 Daveone

Daveone

Viking 1

Posted 16 April 2024 - 11:24 AM

Ohh .. now I understand. Never mind.. most of us experieced some time waste in this great hobby. For example some years ago I did (but not by accident but by my insufficient knowledge smile.gif ) similar thing when I tried to catch O3 emission in Needle galaxy ..of course I’d get only continuum and so I could invest that time to imaging throuhg G or B filter.. well we all are learning.  L will help you for some more details.. for more ritch colors you have to fight during processing. 
But Ha strike you have already catched very nicely.

By the way I did same galaxy couple days ago .. you can see result here:

https://www.astrobin.com/a8toxr/

You have advantage with much longer focal lenght(so you can get very nice details at the end).. I do with fast optics for shorter integration time smile.gif

David 

Edited by Daveone, 16 April 2024 - 11:27 AM.

#7 Jinux

Jinux

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2024 - 12:54 AM

I've added 7Hrs of L and did LRGBHOO composition. It was heck of study how to do it.

Adding L helps the overall tone transition though and I think I overdid Ha too much in last image, while I may still do.

Anyway, here is newer one.

gallery_28230_16823_81073.jpg

• mikewayne3 likes this

#8 Daveone

Daveone

Viking 1

Posted 17 April 2024 - 01:56 AM

Hello,

very nice details, but still it seems more like bicolor image. If I may suggest  - just try more to stretch+saturate the blue + green layer (channel) during processing if possible ...it will help you for better color balancing without loosing the details on the H-Alfa strike. I´m sure those informations are there, just don´t be affraid to ,,dig them out,, 

David

Edited by Daveone, 17 April 2024 - 01:58 AM.

#9 Jinux

Jinux

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2024 - 11:49 AM

Ah.. Got it. Thanks for good suggestion. It looks like a bi-color image indeed.

Here is another shot at this.

M82_LRGBHOO-LRGBHOO-NoSt_v3_ST_Sat.jpg

• mikewayne3 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics