•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What Caused These Bands in Photos

Astrophotography Equipment Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hunterhall10

Hunterhall10

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2024 - 02:36 AM

In the photo attached you can see two separate targets I shot tonight, M101 and the Rosette Nebula. First time out with my new ZWO ASI 533MC, ZWO ASIAIR, and Optolong UV/IV Cut filter. What is causing the gradient/bands in the stacked photos? I stacked in Pixinsight and 2x drizzled but even the undrizzled versions have these same bands. The M101 is 10 lights at 180 sec and the Rosette is 12 lights at 180sec. Not the greatest expsoure time but was more just testing everything out. 30 flats and 30 Bias. Did no darks since i have heard the 533 does not need them.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled 2.png

#2 RichA

RichA

Voyager 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 14 April 2024 - 03:03 AM

In the photo attached you can see two separate targets I shot tonight, M101 and the Rosette Nebula. First time out with my new ZWO ASI 533MC, ZWO ASIAIR, and Optolong UV/IV Cut filter. What is causing the gradient/bands in the stacked photos? I stacked in Pixinsight and 2x drizzled but even the undrizzled versions have these same bands. The M101 is 10 lights at 180 sec and the Rosette is 12 lights at 180sec. Not the greatest expsoure time but was more just testing everything out. 30 flats and 30 Bias. Did no darks since i have heard the 533 does not need them.

the usual cause of banding is too much contrast and not enough bit depth in the image.  

#3 sharkmelley

sharkmelley

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: UK

Posted 14 April 2024 - 03:36 AM

It's odd that it appears in the same place in 2 different images.  You should examine some (very stretched) individual exposures to see if the problem also appears in them.

#4 Hunterhall10

Hunterhall10

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2024 - 07:06 AM

It's odd that it appears in the same place in 2 different images.  You should examine some (very stretched) individual exposures to see if the problem also appears in them.

Appears its not there in the individual exposures so guess i need to track it down in pixinsight. That is better I suppose lol

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled3.png

#5 HubSky

HubSky

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia Beach, Virginia

Posted 14 April 2024 - 05:08 PM

Since it shows up in two different stacked images, I would first blink through the individual flat frames and bias frames to make sure none look whacked. 

Edited by HubSky, 15 April 2024 - 12:39 AM.

• sharkmelley likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Equipment, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics