•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lunar crescent at 0.12"/pixel and some colour

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bart Declercq

Bart Declercq

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Haaltert, Belgium

Posted 14 April 2024 - 05:05 AM

Yesterday the seeing was very good, but transparancy wasn't - lots of high cirrus clouds made this a difficult processing.

It's the complete lunar crescent at 0.12"/pixel - full size image is 16.000x9.000 pixels large. I used a ZWO ASI585MC camera and an IR742 infrared filter on my 20" F/5 scope and a 2.5x Televue Powermate - at long wavelengths this single shot color camera is roughly equally sensitive on all pixels, so in infrared it's effectively a monochrome camera.

53651616537_b8f6dc0e27_b.jpg

Flickr doesn't allow zooming in all the way on such huge images, so you can check out the full-resolution version at https://www.flickr.c...616537/sizes/o/

I didn't really have the time or the sky conditions to also do a full colour mosaic, but I did do the bright edge of the moon, figuring that's where the colours tend to be clearest - it's also a test-run for a full-colour, full-moon shot at this resolution (which will come to nearly 300 megapixel, perhaps even more if the seeing is really good)

The colour turned out quite good as well, I did a double processing, one sharpened black&white for detail and one blurred with increased saturation for better colours and recombined them afterwards.

53652830678_5cd3710feb_b.jpg

The result is certainly promising, I hope that I'll get an opportunity to do this as a full-disk shot.

Again, full res can be seen at https://www.flickr.c...830678/sizes/o/

• scottinash, Kenny V., R Botero and 5 others like this

#2 AstronomyFred

AstronomyFred

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: North Rhine - Westphalia, Germany

Posted 14 April 2024 - 12:16 PM

Bart, this image is amazing!!

Great resolution, great processing, fantastic execution.

Thank you for sharing.

Clear skies, 

Fred

• Bart Declercq likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics